Connect with us

Metro

Family of Ebonyi Teenager Raped, Killed Kicks As Police Release Suspect

Published

on

The family of a 17-year-old girl, Munachi Obasi-Igwe, who was raped and killed in the Amakporo-Agbebo area of Ebonyi State has decried the release of one of the suspects by the state police.

The victim’s father, Paul Obasi-Igwe, queried why the suspect was released without being charged to court.

Paul and his daughter, who were from Amakporo Onicha village, went to a neighbouring town, Agbebo Isu, to grind cassava.

Munachi, a Senior Secondary School one pupil at Winners International Secondary School, Amakporo Onicha, was reportedly left by her father in the care of some elderly women, who also queued up for the same purpose.

The victim was said to have headed back home without her father, who had not returned to pick her up after the cassava grounder was done and the shop closed.

On her way back, she was allegedly attacked by some hoodlums, as no fewer than four men raped and killed her before dumping her body in the bush.

Some members of the gang were later arrested.

Paul said one of them was granted bail without the knowledge of the family.

He said, “This sad incident almost resulted in a war between the two communities as my village people were already on ground but the elders of the town intervened and the residents took her corpse to a mortuary with a promise to produce the culprits within seven days.

“The leader of the gang was caught after four days of search and he named three other people involved, making four, who gang-raped and killed my daughter.

“The police told us that the fourth person could not be arrested because he gave an alibi and the rest were transferred to the Abakaliki police headquarters for further investigation.

“The gang leader confessed to the police that my daughter was raped and murdered.”

A family member, Onyegbuchi Obasi-Igwe, told PUNCH Metro that an officer confirmed to him that one of the suspects had been released.

He said, “I met with the Investigating Police Officer, Benice Ugwuanyin, who said only one of the suspects claimed to have committed the act. But one person can’t overpower the girl and from the comments gathered at Agbebo Isu community, it is one of the associates that passed a knife to the suspect who slaughtered the deceased.

“The IPO telephoned me a day after and asked me to come to the station but I told her that I would not be able to make it. During our conversation on the phone that day, she said they have released one of the suspects on bail and I responded that it’s not proper to release a rape and murder suspect on bail without informing the family of the deceased and she explained further that the released suspect would return and they would all be charged to court.

“We visited the station the following day and met the IPO’s immediate boss who denied that anybody was released.

“We are appealing to the government of Ebonyi State, well-meaning individuals of the community and Nigerians to come to our aid and ensure that the perpetrators are made to pay for their crime.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chris Anyanwu, had yet to respond to the allegation as of the time of filing this report.

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Tinubu Halts Planned Closure of Eko Bridge in Lagos

Published

on

The Federal government has suspended the planned closure of Eko Bridge in Lagos State.

The Minister of Works, Engr. Dave Umahi, disclosed this during an inspection of the bridge on Tuesday.

He said: “We directed that this bridge be closed. That was about two weeks back, … but our caring President Bola Tinubu is very much concerned about the closure of this Eko Bridge.

“He has asked me to come back here and take a second look at that decision so that we don’t induce much hardship on Nigerians.”

The minister said his team re-assessed the strength of the bridge on Monday, and confirmed that the closure could be suspended at the moment.

“We have done our technical evaluation in line with the president’s directive.

“Putting safety over and above every decision, we have seen that, for now, we are safe, but we won’t get to any situation that any Nigerian on this bridge will not be safe.

“We have agreed on three procedures,” Umahi added.

According to him, the first procedure is not to close the bridge now but monitor the progression or otherwise of the crack.

He said that the crack is not progressing either arithmetically or geometrically at the moment.

“No progression so far. We are comfortable, but crack can occur anytime. I will return here to reassess it,” he stated.

The minister, however, also said there would be remedial work on the bridge.

Continue Reading

Metro

Security Expert Hails Ribadu’s Talks with Vance, Rubio As Positive Devt in Counter-Terrorism Fight

Published

on

The visit by Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu to the United States where he held talks with Vice President JD Vance, and Secretary of State, Marco Rubio, has been described as a positive development for Nigeria’s fight against terrorism.

A security analyst and columnist, Jas Keita, in a statement says that the meeting underscores the importance of the Nigerian/U. S security relationship.

According to her, the meeting comes at an important time for Nigeria as it seeks to defeat terrorist groups that are seeking to undermine the government, destroying lives and livelihoods across the country.

The statement reads in part: “Security cooperation between the United States and Nigeria were central to these discussions. This comes against the backdrop of escalating terrorist activity in Nigeria. Two weeks ago, ISIS militants killed at least 29 people in an attack in Guyaku, a village in Adamawa state, while Boko Haram killed 11 people during a raid on a village in Borno State. This escalation of violence and destruction poses a serious threat to the social and economic stability of Nigeria. Nigeria must do all it can to destroy the ability and operational capacity of groups such as ISIS or Boko Haram to wage war against its people.

“Despite widespread commentary, driven often by foreign actors, the United States has remained a steadfast ally to Nigeria in its determination to destroy those groups who seek to destroy Nigeria. While some commentators seek to criticise the government for such visits, it’s clear that ordinary people whose lives and livelihoods are being destroyed by these groups, want to see immediate, urgent and effective action against these groups. Working with the United States to empower Nigerian Security forces is the quickest and most effective way to this result.

“Of course, people will remember the 2025 Christmas day strikes where the U.S working with Nigerian security forces undertook a series of attacks against these terrorist groups. But that cooperation continued in the months following the attack. In February, a team of U.S. Special Forces personnel were deployed on the ground. Their mission was to provide direct technical and information support to Nigerian security forces. As well as training support, they have provided invaluable technical and strategic insight developed over decades of providing similar support across the globe.

“This type of support cannot be underestimated. To see a contrast, one simply needs to look at events in Mali and the failure of Russia’s assistance to the government there. Empowering our security forces, ensuring they have the skills and insights is a critical element to ensuring we defeat terrorist groups.

“One of the strands of commentary after the Christmas day strikes was if we even needed American support. Put simply, yes, we are facing a substantial threat from these terrorist groups. They are well armed, well organised and well financed. They are committed to destroying the legitimately elected government and imposing their own vision on our country. They have shown time and time again they have no interest in the welfare of our people, rather they will kill anyone who disagrees with them or simply is in the wrong place at the wrong time.

“Nigeria is facing an existential threat from these terrorist groups. They do not care about our way of life or the welfare of our people. Nigeria cannot become prosperous unless it rids itself of these terrorist organisations. The ongoing security crisis creates an environment of instability and fear that means our people cannot expect to thrive. Nigeria has a prosperous economic future ahead and can create a brighter future for all its people, but this cannot happen without a stable and secure foundation. Defeating these groups not only protects the lives of our families but allows Nigeria to build a brighter economic future for all.

“That is why these talks in Washington are so vital. Our country has a strong and committed ally in the United States. Despite what other foreign actors say, they have shown time and time again their willingness to expend resources to support our fight against terrorism.  Strengthening and deepening this relationship must be a key strategic priority for our government and we must ensure it endures. Doing so, will ensure our own people have the skills, insights and resources to defeat these groups. Doing so, will provide the stability that will underpin our future economic and social growth.”

Continue Reading

Metro

ISSUP Nigeria to Host Webinar on AI-Powered Addiction Screening Tool, “VibeCheck”

Published

on

The International Society of Substance Use Professionals (ISSUP) Nigeria has announced plans to host the 33rd edition of its bi-monthly Knowledge Update Series webinar on May 27, 2026, focusing on the use of artificial intelligence in addiction screening and mental health intervention.

The webinar, themed “VibeCheck – An AI Tool for Addiction Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral; From Screening to Real-World Intervention,” will be held online at 3:00 PM WAT.

The session will introduce “VibeCheck,” a digital self-screening assistant designed to support early identification of substance use risks and related mental health concerns using tools such as the WHO ASSIST and PHQ-9 assessments.

The webinar will feature a live demonstration of the platform, practical strategies for integrating the tool into clinical and community workflows, ethical considerations surrounding digital screening tools, and referral pathways for intervention.

Participants will also learn how the platform can be customized for institutional use by healthcare organizations and community-based programmes.

The keynote presentation will be delivered by Dr. Oluwasikemi Alalade, a Consultant Psychiatrist at the Federal Neuropsychiatric Hospital, Yaba, Lagos.

Dr. Alalade specializes in child and adolescent psychiatry, substance use disorders, neurodevelopmental conditions, and digital mental health innovations. She has contributed to several research projects focused on psychiatric care delivery and technology-driven mental health solutions in Nigeria.

According to ISSUP Nigeria, the webinar is targeted at public health professionals, addiction counsellors, healthcare providers, policymakers, young people, and professionals working within substance use prevention and treatment settings.

The session will be moderated by ISSUP Nigeria President, Dr. Olajumoke Koyeojo and Ejikeme M. Ogueji, Head, Editorial and Webinar Team

ISSUP noted that the webinar aims to promote evidence-based approaches to substance use prevention and strengthen discussions around ethical digital mental health interventions.

Participation is free and open to interested members of the public.

To register for the ISSUP Nigeria webinar on “VibeCheck – An AI Tool for Addiction Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral”, click below:

https://www.issup.net/node/34651?utm_source=chatgpt.com

Continue Reading