Connect with us

News

Oshiomhole Laments Poverty Stricken Nature of Nigerian Workers Under Tinubu’s Govt

Published

on

A former President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Senator Adams Oshiomhole, has lamented that the present day Nigerian workers are poorer than those who worked for the country in the past.

Oshiomhole, a former Governor of Edo State, also decried the present N70,000 minimum wage, arguing that the celebrated wage when converted to dollars, is equivalent to only $42.

The former labour leader spoke at the National Institute of Security Studies, Abuja, during a distinguished personality lecture organised for members of the Executive Intelligence Management Course 17.

Comparing the first minimum wage in the country under the administration of Shehu Shagari as President, he noted that the N125 minimum wage at that time was equivalent to $160.

The lawmaker, who spoke on the title of the lecture: “National Minimum Wage: Reward system and productivity in Africa”, said: “When minimum wage in Nigeria was established under President Shagari – I think around 1981 – it was around N125, which was about $160 a month.

“Today, with the fat increase – 100% increase that the labour achieved last year, which is now being implemented this month – according to our current exchange rate, is $42.

“So, if you divide N70,000 by N1,650, it gives you $42. So, the working people are much poorer now than we were so many years ago. So, this opportunity will depreciate, and that affects the quality of life and everything.”

He urged the Federal government and other states generating high revenues to pay workers more than the agreed N70,000 minimum wage.

The Senator representing Edo North in the National Assembly also called for the expansion of minimum wage law to domestic staff, among others, through the amendment of the law.

He said: “But again, if you look at the law in Nigeria, which I hope will be able to amend very soon, although the Federal government and the states have agreed on a minimum wage, for example, at N70,000, there are still people who are paying less than that.

“Even under the law, because it says you have to have about 25 to 50 employees minimum for that law to be applicable to a particular enterprise. But with the changing technology, a small ICT company employing 10 people can generate much turnover. So, using the number of employees was appropriate when the economy was more broad-driven not with ICT.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Edo Guber: Tribunal Dismisses Ighodalo’s Petition, Affirms Okpebholo As Duly Elected

Published

on

The Edo Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal sitting in Abuja, on Wednesday, affirmed Senator Monday Okpebholo as the governor.

A three-member panel headed by Justice Wilfred Kpochi, dismissed the petition filed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and its candidate, Asue Ighodalo, against the outcome of the September 21, 2024, governorship election.

In its judgment, the panel ruled that the petitioners failed to call competent witnesses to prove the allegations of non-compliance with the Electoral Act.

‎‎In the lead judgment read by Justice Wilfred Kpochi, the Tribunal said non-compliance must be proven convincingly. It noted that the failure of the petitioners to call polling unit officers, presiding officers or even voters during the election proved fatal to their petition.

The Tribunal stated that most of the 19 witnesses called by the PDP merely gave hearsay evidence during the proceedings.

‎‎Justice Kpochi faulted what he termed as the PDP’s reliance on Section 137 of the Electoral Act to dump documents on the Tribunal. The Tribunal noted that it’s not for it to scrutinise documents tendered by the petitioners.

‎‎The Edo Tribunal further said the BVAS machines tendered by the petitioners remain dormant, as it’s not the duty of the Tribunal to access the data in the machines.

‎‎In the unanimous decision, the Tribunal thereby restated that to prove overvoting as alleged by Ighodalo and the PDP, there’s a need to tender the voters register, BVAS machines and polling unit results or Forms EC8A.

Following that, the Tribunal dismissed the petition of Asue Ighodalo, candidate of PDP for lacking merit.

‎‎INEC had declared that Okpebholo of the APC secured 291,667 votes to defeat Ighodalo who got 247,655 votes. PDP approached the Tribunal to challenge the results from 765 polling units of the 4,519 units in Edo State.

‎The PDP candidate faulted the outcome of the election on the grounds of non-compliance with the Electoral Act and the failure of Monday Okphebholo to secure a majority of the lawful votes cast. Putting that in context, the PDP governorship candidate alleged improper computation of votes by INEC, non-serialisation of electoral materials and over-voting.

Continue Reading

News

Edo Guber Tribunal Delivers Judgment Today

Published

on

The Edo State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal, sitting in Abuja, has
scheduled Wednesday, April 2, 2025, to deliver its judgment on the petition filed by Asue Ighodalo of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) challenging the victory of Governor Monday Okpebholo in the September 21, 2024, gubernatorial election.

A three-member panel, led by Justice Wilfred Kpochi, reserved judgment on March 3 after parties in the suit concluded their final arguments.

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) had on September 22 declared Okpebholo of the All Progressives Congress (APC) winner of the election with 291,667 votes, defeating Ighodalo, who polled 247,274 votes, and Labour Party’s Olumide Akpata, who garnered 22,763 votes.

Dissatisfied with the outcome, the PDP and its candidate approached the tribunal, alleging widespread irregularities, including
over-voting, ballot serialisation issues, errors in collation, and miscalculations in results.

In the suit marked EPT/ED/GOV/02/2024,
Ighodalo presented a senior technical officer from INEC’s ICT department as a witness, who tendered 154 BVAS machines as evidence to substantiate claims of
over-voting.

Adopting his final address, Ighodalo further alleged that results from 765 polling units were manipulated at the collation centers and that errors in computation affected the final outcome.

He urged the tribunal to nullify the Certificate of Return issued to Okpebholo and declare him the rightful winner of the election.

Continue Reading

News

Court Summons Tinubu, Ibas over Rivers Emergency Rule

Published

on

A Federal High Court in Port Harcourt has summoned President Bola Tinubu and Rivers State Administrator, Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas, over the emergency rule declaration in the oil-rich State.

The summons follows a lawsuit filed by the Incorporated Trustees of Peoples Life Improvement Foundation, alongside individuals Precious Elekima and Inanna Wright Harry, challenging the legality of the emergency rule imposed on the state.

Also listed as defendants in the suit are Senate President Godswill Akpabio, Speaker of the House of Representatives Tajudeen Abbas, the National Assembly, Attorney General of the Federation Lateef Fagbemi, the Revenue Mobilisation, Allocation and Fiscal Commission, and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

President Tinubu, on March 18, 2025, declared a state of emergency in Rivers, suspending both the executive and legislative arms of government and appointing retired naval officer Vice Admiral Ibok-Ete Ibas as administrator.

In suit number FHC/PH/CS/45/2025, the plaintiffs are seeking judicial interpretation on whether the emergency declaration aligns with constitutional provisions, arguing that it is unconstitutional, null, and void.

They contend that it violates Article 13 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights (Ratification and Enforcement Act) and Section 305(3)(b) of the Nigerian Constitution, which outlines the conditions under which a state of emergency can be declared.

The plaintiffs have urged the court to restrain the Rivers State Administrator from appointing caretaker committees for the 23 local government councils, forming a state executive council, or making financial transactions from the state treasury.

Additionally, they are seeking an order for the immediate reinstatement of the suspended executive and legislative arms of government in the state.

Meanwhile, the court has given the defendants 30 days to respond to the summons.

Continue Reading