Connect with us

Metro

Police Arrest Officers Who Killed Suspected Lagos Phone Thieves

Published

on

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested the four policemen who killed two suspected phone thieves in broad daylight in the Igando area of the state.

Police spokesman, Bala Elkana, said they would face murder charges.

A viral video had surfaced on the social media on Tuesday, showing the officers manhandling, and, later, ultimately, the suspects.

Elkana identified the policemen as Inspector Fabiyi Omomayara, Sergeant Olaniyi Solomon, Sergeant Solomon Sunday and Corporal Aliyu Mukaila; adding that they were attached to the Iba Police Division and not the Special Anti-Robbery Squad.

The men had been filmed shooting dead the suspects after they were arrested for allegedly robbing people who sold phones on Jiji, an online sales platform.

The Police said the action of the cops violated the code of conduct of the Force.

Elkana said, “The attention of the Lagos State Police Command was drawn to a video on social media showing some police officers shooting two unarmed suspects who were arrested and already in their custody, against the code of professional conduct and laws guiding how suspects in Police custody should be treated.

“The policemen were identified as Inspector Fabiyi Omomayara, Sergeant Olaniyi Solomon, Sergeant Solomon Sunday and Corporal Aliyu Mukaila, attached to Iba division patrol team.

“The incident happened on August 19, 2019 at about 3pm, when Iba Police Station received a distress call from one Anugu Valentine of Agege Motor Road, Mushin, that he was attacked by a group of armed men numbering about four on two motorcycles at Ipayi area, Iba, and they dispossessed him of one iPhone Max valued at N450,000.

“Acting on the information, the Divisional Police Officer, Iba, promptly deployed the divisional patrol team to the scene.

“Two of the armed robbers were arrested, while two escaped.

“Two locally-made pistols with six live cartridges and five expended cartridges were recovered.

“The gang is said to be notorious for a series of robberies in Iba and environs.

“It was a well celebrated operation by the team, as the suspects were gallantly arrested.

“The team, however, went extreme by killing the suspects who were already in their custody, instead of taking them to the Police Station and allowing the normal process of investigation and prosecution to be initiated as stipulated under procedural laws.

“That act of extra-judicial killings falls short of Police professional standards and cannot be condoned by the Command.”

Elkana added that the state Commissioner of Police, CP Zubairu Muazu, had ordered a thorough investigation into the incident.

Elkana said the Police officers were being subjected to internal disciplinary proceedings, noting that if found culpable, they would be dismissed from the Force and handed over to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba, for prosecution.

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Two Ibadan Men Docked Over Possession of Human Skull, Other Body Parts

Published

on

Two men, Ridwan Bello aka ‘Asalailu’ and Fatai Adeleke, have been arraigned before an Iyaganku Chief Magistrate Court in Ibadan, Oyo State, for alleged unlawful possession of a human head and other body parts of a female corpse.

Bello, 42, of Odo-Aba Street, and Fatai Adeleke, 70, of an unknown address were arraigned on four count charges of conspiracy, possession of a human head, interference with the dead, and breach of public peace.

The Prosecutor, ASP Foluke Adedosu, told the court that the defendants, along with others at large, conspired to commit the offences.

She alleged that on March 18, at about 3:00am., at Odo-Aba Street, Muslim Area, Ibadan, Bello was found in possession of a human head and other dismembered body parts, believed to be those of late Mrs. Adebimpe Akinbo.

“A female human head, severed limbs, dried bones, and other remains stored in bags and a paint bucket were allegedly recovered from Bello’s house,” Adedosu told the court.

She alleged that Bello exhumed Akinbo’s body from Saint Andrews Anglican Church Cemetery in Awa-Ijebu, Ogun State, for ritual purposes.

Adedosu told the court that Adeleke knowingly bought the human parts from Bello for the same purpose.

The prosecutor said the defendants allegedly indecently interfered with and desecrated the body of the deceased by exhuming and dismembering it.

She added that their actions disrupted public peace and violated Sections 242 (1)(b), 249 (d), 329A, and 516 of the Oyo State Criminal Code Laws, 2000.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Magistrate, Mrs. A.T. Oyediji, granted them bail in the sum of N500,000 each, with two sureties in like sum.

She then adjourned the case to May 8 for further hearing.

NAN

Continue Reading

Metro

Gatmash, Access Bank Launch ‘PAD Me A Girl Initiative’ to Revolutionalise Menstrual Hygiene

Published

on

Access Bank Plc, a leading financial institution in Nigeria, has partnered “PAD Me A Girl Initiative,” a project of GATMASH MEDIA, to launched a ‘Pad Bank’ at Area 1, Internally Displaced Persons Camp (IDP), Durumi, Abuja.

The launching which took place today, 3rd April, 2025, is a project of GATMASH MEDIA, aimed at providing free sanitary pads to girls and women.

Theresa Moses, the Convener of the “PAD Me A Girl Initiative,” in her welcome remarks emphasized the importance of menstrual hygiene while encouraging young girls and women to prioritize their health.

She observed that this initiative marks a significant milestone in promoting menstrual hygiene and providing reusable sanitary pads to young girls and women in need.

Highlighting the alarming statistics of menstrual poverty in Nigeria, she disclosed that about 37% of menstruating girls and women lack access to sanitary pads due to financial constraints.

According to Theresa Moses, the project would help to educate young girls and women on proper menstrual hygiene practices, while dispelling various myths and misconceptions surrounding menstruation.

“The ‘PAD Bank’ will provide reusable sanitary pads, reducing waste and promoting sustainability while making menstrual products more accessible for free.

“The initiative seeks to break the silence surrounding menstruation, encouraging open conversations and promoting a culture of understanding and support,” Theresa Moses reiterated.

On her part, Mrs. Blessing Jonah Amos, Parenting Coach, led an informative session on menstrual hygiene, usage of reusable sanitary pads, and healthy lifestyle practices.

The Divisional Police Officer, Area 1, CSP Ola Rotimi Ebidero, provided valuable security tips to women and young girls, urging them to report suspicious activities to the police.

The Access “PAD Me A Girl Initiative” has partnership with several organizations, including Checkers Custard which distributed Checkers Custard and Checkers Custard Pap Flavour, Vita Baites Foods markers of delicious and crunchy ‘kuli-kuli’ which distributed their products and Jeffrey Kuraun Foundation, ProStar, and more.

Exercise books and other writing materials, cartons of Instant noodles, bags of sachets water were among the items distributed during the exercise.

The launch of ‘PAD Bank’ marks a significant step in addressing menstrual poverty and promoting menstrual hygiene education, as the initiative aims to expand its frontiers, providing support to more communities and individuals.

By partnering with organizations and individuals, the “PAD Me A Girl Initiative” seeks to create a society where menstrual hygiene is prioritized, and young girls and women can thrive without limitation, and robust access to pads for their personal hygiene.

Continue Reading

Metro

Tinubu Felicitates with Aare EmmanuelKing at 50

Published

on

Nigeria’s President, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has congratulated the Chairman, Adron Group, Aare Adetola Olaniyi Emmanuel-King, as he celebrates his 50th birthday.

The President, according to a statement by his Special Adviser, Information and Strategy, Mr. Bayo Onanuga, “joins family, friends, and well-wishers to celebrate the entrepreneur and philanthropist who has remained steadfast in making affordable housing accessible to many Nigerians.

“Aare Emmanuel-King, with over 62 estates and a workforce of 3,000, has received numerous chieftaincy titles and awards in property and estate development, including Lagos State Man of the Year (2019) and Property Developer of the Year (2021).

“President Tinubu commends the real estate developer for his contributions to the government’s vision of reducing the nation’s housing deficit.

“The President wishes Aare Emmanuel-King joyful celebrations and continued success in his endeavours.”

Continue Reading