Connect with us

Metro

Police Arrest, Release Man Who Infected Teenager with HIV

Published

on

The police in Rivers State have released a 75-year-old man, Shedrack Ejinwo, arrested last week for allegedly defiling a 14-year-old girl at Kendox Medical Services,  where he received treatment as an HIV patient.

A Delta-based human rights activist, Harrison Gwamnishu, who confirmed the release of the suspect in a telephone interview with our correspondent, said Ejinwo entered into an out-of-court settlement with the father of the victim, Rufus Felix, to pay  N370,000 monthly until February 2020.

Gwamnishu, who is the Director-General, Behind Bars Rights Foundation, claimed the victim was persuaded by the wife of the medical director of the clinic, where she worked as a salesgirl, to keep the rape a secret and placed on treatment.

He said, “When that (rape) happened, they placed the girl on drugs for prevention of the virus. So, they opened a card for the girl at the hospital. The man has been released from custody based on a settlement agreement.”

A copy of the settlement seen by our correspondent showed that the signatories included Ejinwo, counsel for the suspect, Amaechi Enere, counsel for the victim, Ibe Ukagha, State PRO, Behind Bars Initiative, Mr Emmanuel Wokoma, Mr Ogbonna Asonye and the victim’s father.

It read in part, “That Chief Shedrack N. Ejinwo will be totally responsible for cost of all medical treatment of Miss Gift Felix from now till February 10, 2020, when there will be a final check on her.

“That upon the final check of Miss Gift Felix on February 10, 2020, if/and having been certified medically fit, Miss Gift and her family will withdraw the petition against Chief Shedrack Ejinwo.”

Gwamnishu told our correspondent that upon Ejinwo’s arrest, he returned to Delta and assigned Ukagha to follow up on the case and make sure the suspect was charged.

The activist said, “He (Ukagha) called me two days ago and said the people wanted to settle the matter. I said, ‘No settlement, please. Take this suspect to court. I will foot the medical bills of  the girl.’ We got a place for the girl through the Doctors without Borders in Port Harcourt.

“I was surprised to see the agreement signed by the person I told to monitor the process and make sure the suspect is charged to court.”

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Nnamdi Omoni, did not respond to calls or a text message.

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Two Ibadan Men Docked Over Possession of Human Skull, Other Body Parts

Published

on

Two men, Ridwan Bello aka ‘Asalailu’ and Fatai Adeleke, have been arraigned before an Iyaganku Chief Magistrate Court in Ibadan, Oyo State, for alleged unlawful possession of a human head and other body parts of a female corpse.

Bello, 42, of Odo-Aba Street, and Fatai Adeleke, 70, of an unknown address were arraigned on four count charges of conspiracy, possession of a human head, interference with the dead, and breach of public peace.

The Prosecutor, ASP Foluke Adedosu, told the court that the defendants, along with others at large, conspired to commit the offences.

She alleged that on March 18, at about 3:00am., at Odo-Aba Street, Muslim Area, Ibadan, Bello was found in possession of a human head and other dismembered body parts, believed to be those of late Mrs. Adebimpe Akinbo.

“A female human head, severed limbs, dried bones, and other remains stored in bags and a paint bucket were allegedly recovered from Bello’s house,” Adedosu told the court.

She alleged that Bello exhumed Akinbo’s body from Saint Andrews Anglican Church Cemetery in Awa-Ijebu, Ogun State, for ritual purposes.

Adedosu told the court that Adeleke knowingly bought the human parts from Bello for the same purpose.

The prosecutor said the defendants allegedly indecently interfered with and desecrated the body of the deceased by exhuming and dismembering it.

She added that their actions disrupted public peace and violated Sections 242 (1)(b), 249 (d), 329A, and 516 of the Oyo State Criminal Code Laws, 2000.

Both defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges.

The Magistrate, Mrs. A.T. Oyediji, granted them bail in the sum of N500,000 each, with two sureties in like sum.

She then adjourned the case to May 8 for further hearing.

NAN

Continue Reading

Metro

Gatmash, Access Bank Launch ‘PAD Me A Girl Initiative’ to Revolutionalise Menstrual Hygiene

Published

on

Access Bank Plc, a leading financial institution in Nigeria, has partnered “PAD Me A Girl Initiative,” a project of GATMASH MEDIA, to launched a ‘Pad Bank’ at Area 1, Internally Displaced Persons Camp (IDP), Durumi, Abuja.

The launching which took place today, 3rd April, 2025, is a project of GATMASH MEDIA, aimed at providing free sanitary pads to girls and women.

Theresa Moses, the Convener of the “PAD Me A Girl Initiative,” in her welcome remarks emphasized the importance of menstrual hygiene while encouraging young girls and women to prioritize their health.

She observed that this initiative marks a significant milestone in promoting menstrual hygiene and providing reusable sanitary pads to young girls and women in need.

Highlighting the alarming statistics of menstrual poverty in Nigeria, she disclosed that about 37% of menstruating girls and women lack access to sanitary pads due to financial constraints.

According to Theresa Moses, the project would help to educate young girls and women on proper menstrual hygiene practices, while dispelling various myths and misconceptions surrounding menstruation.

“The ‘PAD Bank’ will provide reusable sanitary pads, reducing waste and promoting sustainability while making menstrual products more accessible for free.

“The initiative seeks to break the silence surrounding menstruation, encouraging open conversations and promoting a culture of understanding and support,” Theresa Moses reiterated.

On her part, Mrs. Blessing Jonah Amos, Parenting Coach, led an informative session on menstrual hygiene, usage of reusable sanitary pads, and healthy lifestyle practices.

The Divisional Police Officer, Area 1, CSP Ola Rotimi Ebidero, provided valuable security tips to women and young girls, urging them to report suspicious activities to the police.

The Access “PAD Me A Girl Initiative” has partnership with several organizations, including Checkers Custard which distributed Checkers Custard and Checkers Custard Pap Flavour, Vita Baites Foods markers of delicious and crunchy ‘kuli-kuli’ which distributed their products and Jeffrey Kuraun Foundation, ProStar, and more.

Exercise books and other writing materials, cartons of Instant noodles, bags of sachets water were among the items distributed during the exercise.

The launch of ‘PAD Bank’ marks a significant step in addressing menstrual poverty and promoting menstrual hygiene education, as the initiative aims to expand its frontiers, providing support to more communities and individuals.

By partnering with organizations and individuals, the “PAD Me A Girl Initiative” seeks to create a society where menstrual hygiene is prioritized, and young girls and women can thrive without limitation, and robust access to pads for their personal hygiene.

Continue Reading

Metro

Tinubu Felicitates with Aare EmmanuelKing at 50

Published

on

Nigeria’s President, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu has congratulated the Chairman, Adron Group, Aare Adetola Olaniyi Emmanuel-King, as he celebrates his 50th birthday.

The President, according to a statement by his Special Adviser, Information and Strategy, Mr. Bayo Onanuga, “joins family, friends, and well-wishers to celebrate the entrepreneur and philanthropist who has remained steadfast in making affordable housing accessible to many Nigerians.

“Aare Emmanuel-King, with over 62 estates and a workforce of 3,000, has received numerous chieftaincy titles and awards in property and estate development, including Lagos State Man of the Year (2019) and Property Developer of the Year (2021).

“President Tinubu commends the real estate developer for his contributions to the government’s vision of reducing the nation’s housing deficit.

“The President wishes Aare Emmanuel-King joyful celebrations and continued success in his endeavours.”

Continue Reading