Connect with us

Metro

Shi’ites Invade NASS Complex, Force Reps to Adjourn Plenary

Published

on

Protesting members of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria on Wednesday stormed the National Assembly, Abuja, forcing the House of Representatives to end its plenary abruptly.

Chanting solidarity songs and demanding the release of their leader, Ibrahim El-Zakyzaky, the Shi’ite members forcibly entered the NASS complex after overwhelming the security operatives at the gate.

Following the incident, the Deputy Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yusuf Lasun, announced that the Shi’ite protesters had gained entry into the NASS premises and adjourned the sitting. The lawmakers subsequently left the chambers.

Lasun, who was presiding over the consideration of committee reports, said he had the information that the sect members had crashed the first gate and were gaining entry into the premises.

The Deputy Speaker asked the sergeant-at-arms to go out and confirm the report. The security official, who returned to the chambers, reported that it was safe to continue the sitting. He said the protesters had been prevented from entering the complex.

The lawmakers shortly after, stepped down the remaining items on the Order Paper to Thursday. It could not be confirmed if the adjournment was as a result of the protests.

Punch correspondent, who visited the gate shortly after to confirm the invasion, observed that though the protesters made attempts to gain entry into the premises, they were prevented by the combined team of security operatives who manned the gate.

It was gathered that the IMN members were initially peaceful but tension heightened when the policemen locked the first gate and attempted to prevent them from accessing the complex.

Some of the protesters reportedly massed at the gate, shaking it vigorously while the outnumbered policemen withdrew from the scene.

After shaking the gate for some minutes, the protesters succeeded in forcing it open.

The massive crowd of men, youths and women dressed in black surged into the NASS complex causing panic among visitors and lawmakers as they chanted Allahu Akbar.

However, the crowd did not advance into the chambers following appeals from their leaders.

Members of the IMN have held regular protests to demand the release of their leader and his wife who had been in custody since December 2015 following a bloody confrontation with soldiers in Kaduna during which hundreds of IMN members were killed.

The leader of the sect is currently facing trial for alleged “culpable homicide, unlawful assembly, and disruption of public peace.”

The acting spokesman for the FCT Police Command, Danjuma Gajere, said the police were able to control the protest which he said involved over 2,000 Shi’ite members, adding that no arrest was made.

He said, “We were able to manage the protest which involved over 2,000 people, but there was no arrest.”

The Punch

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Man, Grandchildren Die of Suspected Food Poisoning in Imo

Published

on

A man, Moses Oguebuka, and two grandchildren, were on Tuesday found dead in Okwudor in the Njaba Local Government Area of Imo State.

The development, our correspondent learnt, caused tension in the community as the police took over the investigation.

A community source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told our correspondent that the man and his grandchildren ate dinner together.

He said the bodies of Moses, who was a widower, and his eight and 11-year-old grandchildren had been evacuated by the police.

The source said, “Their lifeless bodies were found in a room in the morning. It was the man’s mistress, who had come to check on him, who found the corpses. She quickly raised the alarm, which attracted the villagers.

“We don’t know what actually happened, but food poisoning is suspected. The deceased ate dinner together and were found dead the next morning.”

The state Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Ladodo, confirmed the incident and said investigation into the circumstances surrounding the deaths had commenced.

The Punch

Continue Reading

Metro

Price of Cooking Gas Soars as Supply Drops

Published

on

The drop in the supply of Liquefied Petroleum Gas, popularly known as cooking gas, to Lagos has led to an increase in the retail price of the commodity, raising fears of an imminent scarcity in the state and many parts of the country.

The Nigerian Association of Liquefied Petroleum Gas Marketers said last Wednesday that terminal owners had increased the price of 20 metric tonnes of the LPG by 33 per cent to N4.2m within five days.

NALPGAM said efforts to extract the cause of the sudden price increase from the terminal operators had not been successful.

The Nigeria LNG Limited, which is based in Port Harcourt, uses a vessel to deliver the LPG to Lagos at least twice in a month and buyers take the commodity to different parts of the country through trucks.

The company only delivers volumes to government-owned Northern Oil Jetty terminal and Navgas terminal, a private facility.

Our correspondent gathered that over 34 off-takers involved in the distribution of the NLNG’s volumes across the country received supply from the terminals.

But investigations revealed that the vessel only delivered the LPG volumes to Lagos once in October and no supply had been received this month as of the time of filing this report.

The Liquefied Petroleum Gas Retailers branch of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers said on Sunday that the reduction in supply had led to about 90 per cent increment in gas price within a space of one week.

“It is likely that this ugly situation will continue if there is no urgent intervention, especially as Christmas and New Year approach. Just a week ago, in Lagos and some neighbouring states, 12.5kg LPG was sold between N2,600 and N3,000 at retail outlets. It is now sold between N4,000 and N4,500 owing to the sudden hike in the price by tank farm operators,” the LPGAR said in a statement.

Last week, the NLNG, in a letter seen by our correspondent, explained to off-takers recent delays and disruptions to the Lagos delivery schedule.

It said deliveries to Lagos had progressed uninterrupted until August when the LPG vessel, ‘Navigator Capricorn’, loaded a cargo in Bonny and then experienced a suspected piracy attack en route to deliver the cargo to Lagos.

The spokesperson for the NLNG, Sophia Horsfall, in an emailed response to questions, told our correspondent on Friday that the company delivered 12,000MT to the Navgas terminal in Apapa, Lagos on October 15, 2019.

“Before then, we delivered a total of 32,050MT (three cargoes) in the month of September to Lagos. Our next delivery for about the 10th of November will be to NOJ terminal in Lagos. We typically deliver at least two cargoes of the LPG each month to Lagos via NOJ and Navgas terminals,” she said.

The LPGAR called on the Federal Government and other stakeholders to urgently intervene in order to restore sanity.

“The situation is already forcing many users to abandon their cylinders and opt for other sources of cooking energy such as firewood and saw dusk irrespective of the attendant health risks and resultant environmental degradation that results from those alternative energy sources,” it added.

The Punch

Continue Reading

Metro

Lagos Begins Demolition of Burnt Building at Balogun Market

Published

on

The Lagos State Government has commenced the demolition of the five-storey building that was razed at the Balogun Market on the Lagos Island on Tuesday.

The demolition began after Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had visited the scene to commiserate with traders, who lost goods worth millions of naira to the inferno, which raged for about 23 hours.

According to the governor, the incident has brought to the fore the need for a total regeneration of the Lagos Island to prevent occurrences that can endanger the lives of the people.

According to him, the government will hold meetings with the owners of abandoned high-rise buildings in the area to fashion out better uses for such properties.

Sanwo-Olu said the government would conduct integrity test on all buildings in the Central Business District of the Lagos Island and revisit the master plan for the regeneration of the area.

Sanwo-Olu stated, “This fire incident presents discussion for a complete regeneration of the Lagos Island. Here, we have a lot of buildings as old as a century. Now is the time to look into the master plan for a complete regeneration of the entire area. All families must support our move to start the regeneration.

“We also have abandoned high-rise buildings on the island and we have done an audit of all these buildings. We need to have conversation with the owners on how we can put the abandoned properties to better use.

“There are a lot of traders, who wish to take their wares off the road and occupy these abandoned buildings. We need to talk to the owners and reach an agreement with them on a scheme that will make traders use the abandoned properties.

“I have summoned an emergency meeting with all local government chairmen. We cannot condone the reckless approach in which shops are allocated to people in a manner that is not coordinated. When problems arise, they come back to the state government. We will not fold our arms and wait for disasters like this to be repeated.”

The General Manager, Lagos Building Control Agency, Abiola Kosegbe, said the building suffered partial collapse, adding that the demolition had to be undertaken to avert disaster.

Kosegbe stated, “We had to do the needful; the fire is still raging and it is difficult for our officials to go too close. The inferno prevented us from doing all the necessary things.

“A part of the burning building has partially collapsed; everywhere in the building is still hot, so LASBCA, in conjunction with the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency had to go into the building, systematically bringing it down so that it will not cause other problems.”

The General Manager, LASEMA, Oluwafemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said, “We are pulling it down for reconstruction and we will also subject the surrounding buildings to a structural test. The policeman, who was rescued from the rubble of the collapsed portion of the building, has died.”

The acting Head, Lagos State Fire Service, Margaret Adeseye, said the fire raged for 23 hours, adding that it started on the second floor, where the generators were kept.

“The building in the Balogun Market suffered a partial collapse on Tuesday around 9pm during the course of extinguishing the fire. The challenge that we had was that the area had narrow roads and the human population affected accessibility to the building. We finally extinguished the fire before the governor came around 10am on Wednesday,” she stated.

The Punch

Continue Reading