Headlines
366 Soldiers, Policemen Killed in Two Years As FG Rehabilitates 15,000 Terrorists
At least, 366 soldiers, policemen and members of the civilian joint task force were killed in ambushes laid by terrorists in the North-East and the North-West between 2019 and 2021.
A breakdown of the figures released by SBM Intelligence states that 337 soldiers, 29 cops and civilian JTF members were killed, while 111 others were eliminated by the terrorists.
The report added that 92 terrorists were eliminated, while in all, 569 persons were killed in several ambushes within the same period.
A breakdown of the statistics showed that the biggest single onslaught against the military was in the Goniri area of Yobe State on March 23, 2020, wherein about 70 soldiers were killed.
On July 7, 2020 in the Damboa Local Government Area of Borno State, 30 soldiers and 12 policemen were killed along with three terrorists.
Between September 16 and 24, a space of eight days, about 49 soldiers and two policemen were killed in the Monguno and Marte local government areas of Borno State.
The report added that 18 soldiers and six policemen and members of the civilian JTF were killed in the Kukawa Local Government Area of Borno State on September 2 and 3, 2020.
Despite the killing of soldiers, however, many of the terrorists are reported to have surrendered in recent times due to the attack on Boko Haram strongholds, while the sponsors of the terrorists remain unknown.
This is just as The PUNCH learnt that at least 15,000 terrorists, who surrendered to government forces had begun undergoing de-radicalisation.
The National Security Adviser, Maj, Gen. Babagana Moguno (retd.), had said last week, “In recent months, there has been an endless mass surrender of terrorists and their sympathisers in the North-Eastern part of Nigeria. Currently, over 15,000 people have been received.
“It is important to note that the combination of kinetic and non-kinetic measures largely contributed to this wave of surrender.”
The Head, Strategic Communications in the Office of the NSA, Mr Zakari Usman, told The PUNCH that all 15,000 persons, who surrendered, would be rehabilitated, including some who might be prosecuted.
He said, “Yes, everybody will undergo rehabilitation. Even those who are going through the criminal justice process undergo rehabilitation.
“At the state level, together with the MDAs that are involved, there is already a process on the ground. For everybody who surrenders, there is some form of rehabilitation.
“The rehabilitation, reintegration and de-radicalisation programme is for low-risk associates. That is women, children and conscripts.”
Meanwhile, human rights lawyer, Mr Femi Falana (SAN), says he will be suing the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation for refusing to arraign 400 Boko Haram sponsors over six months after he promised to do so.
Falana, who had written a Freedom of Information request to Malami in August to know the state of the case, said the request was based on Malami’s claim of May 4, 2021 that the Federal Government had concluded arrangements to prosecute about 400 alleged sponsors and financiers of terrorism in Nigeria.
“I have not received any response from the AGF since I wrote the FoI. So, we are now constrained to go to court. The AGF said publicly that 400 terror sponsors would be arraigned once the court workers called off their strike. That was over four months ago,” he said.
Attempts to get a response from the AGF’s office proved abortive as his spokesman, Dr Umar Gwandu, did not respond to inquiries.
The Federal Government has come under fire in recent months for failing to name terror sponsors despite the assistance given to Nigeria by the United Arab Emirates and other countries, which provided lists of alleged terror sponsors
However, in a statement in September, Malami defended the decision of the government not to name the terror sponsors, saying doing so could jeopardise investigations.
Malami had said the Federal Government had been vigorously and intensively working to leave no stone unturned in the prosecution of Boko Haram financiers and win the fight against terrorism in the country.
The AGF had stated, “The time is not ripe for holistic disclosures so as not to pre-empt the investigation process. The prime objective remains the attainment of peace and security of our dear nation.
“As far as terrorism funding and financing is concerned, we have succeeded in identifying those that are allegedly responsible for funding same and we are blocking the leakages associated with funding, while embarking on an aggressive investigation that is indeed impacting positively in terms of the fight against terrorism.”
In October, the AGF had also linked the Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho, to a convicted Boko Haram financier.
The Punch
Headlines
Oyo APC Guber Primary: Ex-Power Minister Adelabu Cries Foul, Threatens Petition
Adebayo Adelabu, one of the aspirants for the All Progressives Congress (APC) ticket in Oyo State, has alleged irregularities in the party’s governorship primary election held on Thursday.
Adelabu, who expressed dissatisfaction over the conduct of the exercise, stated that the primary was characterized by misconduct ranging from disenfranchisement of his supporters in some wards and the commencement of election process earlier than scheduled.
Speaking after the conclusion of the primary election at IMG School, Ward 9, Ibadan South-East Local Government Area, the immediate past Minister of Power alleged that the process was neither free, fair nor credible.
He said: “Before our people started getting to their various wards, they have already conducted the election and they wrote the figures they want as results.
“In some wards, our people were prevented from voting. They were intimidated. They were chased away violently. And in some wards, voting did not take place at all.
“All this kind of misconduct is not good at this stage of our democracy in Nigeria, and something has to be done about it.”
Adelabu, therefore, vowed to come up with serious petitions against all the irregularities not just in Ibadan, but across all the five geopolitical zones in Oyo State.
“Also, conduct of many party executives is uncalled for, a lot of people bought forms and they were cleared. And they decided to conduct affirmation of a particular candidate in some wards.
“There was nothing like consensus arrangement. It was just a figment of their weird imagination. The instruction we got from Abuja was that we should all carry out free, fair, and transparent direct primary election where every aspirant will be given a level playing ground and the election will be conducted peacefully.
“Where did they get the idea of consensus candidates? And this is what happened in a lot of the wards. And it didn’t go down well with us. “We don’t want that. We are going to assess the gravity of this gross misconduct and the potential impact on the overall result of this election.
“I will put a petition forward to the appropriate authorities so that it can be deeply investigated and there must be consequences to this. The people who perpetrated this misconduct must be identified and punished. And the aspirants involved also need to be suspended because this is not good for us.
“Democracy is the government of the people by the people and for the people where nobody should be disenfranchised. Once you are a party member, you should have that freedom, that authority to pick an aspirant of your choice as the flag bearer of the party.
“This is Ibadan, this is Oyo State and this the centre of politics in the southwest. And we should be able to lay good examples and the process should produce a candidate that won transparently, freely and fairly,” he said.
Meanwhile, at Ward 9, Ibadan South-East Local Government, Adelabu, polled 430 to defeat his closest rival, Senator Sharafadeen Alli, who had 3 votes.
Headlines
Ronaldo Celebrates Saudi Pro League Win with Al-Nassr
Al Nassr captain, Cristiano Ronaldo, has finally won the Saudi Pro League title.
They were confirmed champions on Thursday, thanks to a 4-2 drubbing of relegation battlers, Damac.
The title race had gone down to the final day after Al-Nassr dramatically dropped points against Al-Hilal the previous week.
Jorge Jesus’ side knew there could be no mistakes against a Damac side fighting for survival at the other end of the table.
Ronaldo was on the scoresheet, as his brace helped Al Nassr secure the title ahead of rivals Al Hilal.
Headlines
Fubara Withdraws from Rivers Governorship Race
Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, has announced his withdrawal from the All Progressives Congress governorship primary election in the state.
Fubara made this known in a statement personally signed on Wednesday, saying he would support whoever emerges as the party’s candidate, The Nations reported.
The governor said his decision followed extensive consultations with his family, friends, and political associates.
“After deep reflection and extensive consultations with my family, friends, and associates, I have taken the difficult but necessary decision to withdraw from the APC governorship primaries. I do so with a full heart and with a firm commitment to support whoever emerges as the candidate of our great party,” Fubara said.
Fubara said although the decision was difficult, he remained committed to supporting whoever would emerge as the APC governorship candidate.
According to him, leadership demands sacrifice and personal ambition must sometimes give way to the collective interest of the people.
Meanwhile, the embattled governor expressed appreciation to his supporters for their loyalty, prayers and sacrifices throughout the political process, acknowledging that many would feel disappointed by his withdrawal.
He said his silence in recent weeks was “deliberate and strategic,” adding that it was guided by the higher interest of the state.
Tone Cole, APC chieftain and 2027 governorship aspirant in Rivers State, also announced his withdrawal from the race, saying his decision was, among other reasons, in the interest of the party’s unity.






