Connect with us

Personality in Focus

Alleged Forgery: AGF Takes Over Ozekhome’s Case from ICPC

Published

on

The Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), has taken over the criminal case brought against a senior lawyer, Mike Ozekhome (SAN), by the Independent Corrupt Practices and other related offences Commission (ICPC).

The development, however, stalled Ozekhome’s planned arraignment before a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) on the three-count charge filed against him by the ICPC and in which he is accused of, among others, forgery.

At the day’s proceedings, the Director of Public Prosecution of the Federation, Rotimi Oyedepo (SAN), said he was representing the AGF and informed the court of the AGF’s decision to take over the case from the ICPC.

Oyedepo said the AGF was acting under his powers as provided in Section 174 of the Constitution.

Counsel for the ICPC, Osuebeni Akpomisingha, did not object to the takeover of the case by the AGF.

Similarly, a former Attorney General of the Federation, Kanu Agabi (SAN), who led a team of lawyers, comprising 15 SANs for the defence, also did not object to the takeover of the case by Fagbemi.

Upon an application for adjournment by Oyedepo, which was not opposed by Agabi, Justice Peter Kekemeke adjourned till February 24 for arraignment.

The Federal High Court Abuja had fixed January 26 to rule on the final forfeiture of a London property linked to a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), the late Jeremiah Useni.

The decision followed the failure of any individual or representative of Useni’s estate to appear within the 14-day statutory window to show cause why the property should not be forfeited to the Federal Government.

The proceedings arose from an ex parte application filed in late 2025 by the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB), which sought an interim forfeiture and preservation order over the disputed property, alleging it was acquired with proceeds of unlawful activity.

On November 28, Justice Binta Nyako granted the interim forfeiture order, directing the CCB to advertise the order in a national newspaper within 14 days to invite “any person or body” with an interest in the property to come forward and prove legitimate acquisition.

The property is located on 79 Randall Avenue, London NW2 7SX; named in the property dispute are Ozekhome (SAN), and Useni, a retired Lieutenant-General.

The matter was filed at the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) Land Registration, UK, under case number ref/2023/0155, with Tali Shani as the applicant and Ozekhome as the respondent.

The property had been claimed by one “Ms Tali Shani” on one hand and Ozekhome on the other.

The SAN said he received the house as a gift from “Mr Tali Shani” in 2021, while lawyers for “Ms Shani” insisted she was the rightful owner.

A witness known as “Mr Tali Shani” had testified in favour of Ozekhome, claiming that he had “powers of attorney” over the property and had transferred the property to the respondent (Ozekhome).

Mr Tali Shani asserted ownership of the property from 1993 and claimed he later appointed Useni as his property manager, describing Useni as an “elder friend and business partner”.

On the other hand, several documents, including an obituary announcement, NIN card, ECOWAS passport, phone number, etc were tendered by witnesses of Ms. Tali Shani to claim ownership of the property.

However, the tribunal found all the documents tendered for Ms. Tali Shani to be fake.

The tribunal subsequently dismissed all claims, ruling that neither “Mr” nor “Ms” Tali Shani existed.

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Personality in Focus

Ooni of Ife, Wife Welcome Twin Sons

Published

on

The Ooni of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has announced the birth of twin princes with his wife Mariam Ajibola, to the Royal House of Oduduwa.

The monarch disclosed this in a post shared on his official Facebook page on Friday, expressing gratitude to God for the safe delivery of the children and the wellbeing of their mother.

“To God be all the glory and adoration for His wondrous works and abundant blessings once again.

The announcement has drawn congratulatory messages from admirers and members of the Yoruba royal institution celebrating the arrival of the newborn princes.

After his marriage to Naomi Silekunola ended, the Ooni married several queens within a short period in 2022.

Among the queens are Mariam Anako, Elizabeth Akinmuda, Tobiloba Phillips, Ashley Adegoke, Ronke Ademiluyi and Temitope Adesegun.

During celebrations marking his 48th birthday and seventh coronation anniversary, the monarch explained that his marriages were connected to the traditional heritage and responsibilities attached to the throne of Ile-Ife.

Continue Reading

Personality in Focus

Femi Otedola Reportedly Acquires £53m Mansion in London

Published

on

Nigerian entrepreneur, Femi Otedola, has reportedly acquired a mansion in London valued at £53 million, further strengthening the presence of wealthy Nigerian investors in the United Kingdom’s luxury property market.

According to a report by Bloomberg on Thursday, the property is located in St John’s Wood, one of London’s most exclusive residential districts situated close to Regent’s Park.

The report stated that the transaction was concluded late last year, citing a UK filing.

The mansion reportedly features 10 bedrooms alongside luxury facilities including a cinema, spa and cigar room. The property was previously placed on the market for £75 million in 2020, according to media reports.

Otedola is the chairman and majority shareholder of First HoldCo Plc, with business interests spanning finance, energy, shipping and insurance brokerage.

The acquisition comes amid sustained activity in London’s luxury real estate sector despite increased property taxes and adjustments to tax policies affecting foreign residents.

Prime areas such as St John’s Wood, Belgravia and Chelsea continue to attract ultra-wealthy buyers from across the world, with multimillion-pound transactions remaining common in the high-end housing market.

The latest purchase also adds to Otedola’s collection of luxury assets and reflects the continued attraction of London’s upscale neighbourhoods to affluent Nigerian businessmen and corporate executives.

In recent years, several Nigerian business figures have been associated with expensive property acquisitions in the UK capital.

In 2025, Roosevelt Ogbonna, the Chief Executive Officer of Access Bank, was also reported to have acquired a £15 million property in Hampstead, another affluent area in London popular among wealthy foreign investors.

St John’s Wood, where Otedola’s mansion is located, is widely known for its luxury detached homes, privacy and proximity to landmarks such as Regent’s Park and the Lord’s Cricket Ground.

Bloomberg

Continue Reading

Personality in Focus

Aare EmmanuelKing Congratulates Olofin of Ilisan Remo, Oba Sonuga, on 86th Birthday

Published

on

The Borokinni of Ilishan Remo, Sir Aare Adetola EmmanuelKing KOF, has extended warm birthday felicitations to the Olofin of Ilisan Remo, His Royal Majesty, Oba (Dr.) Barr. Michael Olufemi Mojeed Sonuga Daniyan II, as the revered monarch celebrates his 86th birthday anniversary.

In a statement released to commemorate the royal father’s birthday, Aare Adetola EmmanuelKing described the monarch as a symbol of peace, wisdom, progress, and exemplary royal leadership, whose reign has continued to bring honor and development to Ilisan Remo.

According to him, since ascending the revered throne of his forefathers, the Olofin has consistently demonstrated purposeful leadership and unwavering commitment to the unity, growth, and cultural advancement of the kingdom, while fostering peace and harmony among the people.

He further noted that the monarch’s reign has inspired pride and confidence among indigenes of Ilisan Remo both at home and in the diaspora, adding that Kabiyesi’s dedication to community development and preservation of tradition remains highly commendable.

The Borokinni prayed for continued divine grace, sound health, long life, and greater wisdom for the royal father as he continues his impactful reign on the throne of his ancestors.

“On behalf of my family, associates, and well-wishers, I heartily congratulate His Royal Majesty, Oba (Dr.) Barr. Michael Olufemi Mojeed Sonuga Daniyan II, the Olofin of Ilisan Remo, on the joyous occasion of his 86th birthday. May Almighty God continue to strengthen Kabiyesi with peace, sound health, and many more years of fruitful reign,” he stated.

Continue Reading