Connect with us

Headlines

Ambode Commissions More Projects, Says I’m Wiser Now

Published

on

Lagos State Governor Akinwunmi Ambode has said he has grown wiser politically, having spent four years in office.

Ambode was at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, on Monday to pay what he called, “thank you visit” to President Muhammadu Buhari.

Buhari was in  Lagos last month to inaugurate some projects initiated by the Ambode administration.

The governor lost his bid for a second term after he was beaten by Babajide Sanwo-Olu in the All Progressives Congress governorship primary election last year.

Sanwo-Olu progressed to win the March 9 governorship poll, leaving Ambode to become the first Lagos State governor to serve one term since 1999.

APC National Leader, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu and the  Minister of Power, Works and Housing Babatunde Fashola served two terms each.

Responding to a question on the lessons he had learnt in office, Ambode said, “You see, every politician learns every day.

“The fact remains that I came in as a technocrat so I call myself a techno-politician,  but I think I am wiser now.

“I am more of a politician than a technocrat.”

Meanwhile, the outgoing governor is scheduled to inaugurate projects started and completed by his administration on Tuesday.

They include the new Senate Building of Lagos State University.

The state  Commissioner for Works and Infrastructure, Mr Ade Akinsanya,  said this in a statement on Monday.

He said, “It is pertinent to note that the Lagos State Government has procured seven ferries, five of which will be inaugurated and they are named after monumental events, notable towns and Lagos deities as a reminder of our historical values.

“The names are Itesiwaju Eko, Ipakodo, Alausa, Adamu-Orisa, Ejinrin, Eko-Akete and Zangbeto.

“Another project scheduled for opening is the new Senate Building of the Lagos State University in Ojo.

“This project will change the landscape of the university and will remain another legacy project of this administration.”

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Legendary Football Star, Diego Amando Maradona Dies at 60

Published

on

Diego Maradona, one of football’s greatest-ever players, has died. He was 60 years.

The 1986 World Cup winner had surgery to remove a blood clot on the brain earlier this month. The Argentine Football Association confirmed he had died this afternoon.

“The Argentine Football Association, through its president Claudio Tapia, expresses its deepest sorrow for the death of our legend, Diego Armando Maradona. You will always be in our hearts,” they said.

Another of football’s greats, Pele, has led the tributes to: “Certainly, one day we’ll kick a ball together in the sky above.” Follow latest updates and reaction here.

Dr Leopoldo Luque, Maradona’s personal physician, said the former player had shown signs of improvement after a successful operation three weeks ago.

Dr Luque said Maradona “laughed” and “grabbed my hand” just a day after he had the procedure.

“Diego is without any type of neurological deficit, without any type of complication associated with surgery,” Luque said, addressing reporters at the clinic’s door.

“He has an excellent post-operative period, the laboratory parameters even improved.

“The first impression is it is favourable, but it is difficult to evaluate.”

Continue Reading

Headlines

Gbajabiamila Asked to Cough Out N500m As Compensation for Family of Slain Vendor

Published

on

The family of Ifeanyi Okereke, the vendor killed by a security aide of Femi Gbajabiamila, speaker of the house of representatives, is demanding N500 million from the number four citizen.

Last week, Okereke was shot by Abdullahi Hassan, a Department of State Services (DSS) operative attached to the speaker.

According to PUNCH, the demand was contained in a letter addressed to the speaker by Mike Ozekhome, counsel to the family.

In the letter dated November 23, the Okereke family said the demand is not enough to replace their son.

“Our clients have instructed us to make from your good self, the following modest demands: That you use your good offices to ensure the immediate prosecution of your security aide (Abdullahi Hassan), who went on a frolic of his own, clearly acted outside the purview of his duty and responsibility by shooting to death an innocent, harmless and armless citizen,” Ozekhome said.

“That you adequately compensate the Okereke family with a modest sum of N500m only.

“This monetary demand can never adequately replace or take the place of their son, husband, brother, and breadwinner’s life. But it will at least mitigate the obvious trauma and hardship the premature demise of their irreplaceable breadwinner has placed on them.”

The lawyer said if the speaker fails to accede to their demand in seven days, they would take legal steps.

“Take note therefore that it is our clients’ firm instruction that in the event that you fail, refuse and/or neglect to accede to or proffer reasonable compensatory terms to our above modest demands within seven days from the date of this letter, we shall without any further correspondences from us, take appropriate legal steps to enforce our clients’ constitutional rights,” he said.

Gbajabiamila said he has handed over the aide to the DSS for discipline.

He has also visited the family of the deceased to condole with them.

TheCable

Continue Reading

Headlines

Lekki Shootings: CNN is Desperate, Presented Doctored Video – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has accused CNN of desperation over its second report on the Lekki toll plaza shootings that happened on October 20.

The Minister said this on NTA on Wednesday.

CNN had on Tuesday released a second ‘investigative report’ on the shootings at Lekki toll plaza during the #EndSARS protests amid threats of sanction from the Federal Government.

But the minister faulted CNN’s reports, saying it lacked credible sources.

When asked about the second CNN’s report, Mohammed said, “It shows that they (CNN) are desperate. The so-called recent development has been seen before. There is nothing new. If there is anything new, it is a contradiction of CNN’s position.

“What we are asking CNN is that where is your evidence? The military has been consistent. CNN contravenes the basic principles of journalism – fairness, and balance.

‘They did the story without contacting the Federal Government for its own side. They relied on second and third parties narratives.

“They (CNN) were caught spreading fake news and they are trying to escape.

“We are accusing them (CNN) of basing their stories on videos sourced on social media. CNN has been inconsistent. It also doctored the video it got.

“We are confident in our position.”

On the letter addressed to Jonathan Hawkins, VP (Communications), CNN Centre, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, the minister said, “We have received an acknowledgment and we were told that the letter has been passed to the editorial team.”

CNN, in its second report titled, ‘Analysis of CCTV footage from Lekki toll gate raises new questions about shooting’, stated that it had obtained the video and subsequently analysed its content.

CNN also compared the CCTV footage with some of the videos on social media which the National Broadcasting Commission had sanctioned three local television stations for using and concluded that the authorities had more questions to answer.

The fresh report also shows the Commander, 81 Division, Brig.Gen Ahmed Taiwo, admitting before the judicial panel that his men indeed took live ammunition to the tollgate.

The CNN report also highlights the fact that Brig.Gen Taiwo’s claim is at variance with that of the minister who had claimed last week that the army fired blank bullets.

The Punch

Continue Reading