Connect with us

Metro

Bandits Reduce Ransom for Baptist School Students to N60m

Published

on

Abductors of the 121 students of the Bethel Baptist High School, Kaduna, have allegedly demanded N60m ransom to free the captives.

Bandits had stormed the school and abducted over 100 students penultimate Monday.

The proprietor of the school, Rev Ishaya Jangado, had said after a head count of the students as directed by the bandits that 121 students were being held.

But on Monday, our correspondents gathered that the bandits demanded N500,000 for each of the remaining 120 students.

The bandits, it was learnt, gave yesterday (Monday) as deadline for the payment of the ransom.

This was just as the bandits released one of the captives on the grounds of ill health.

According to one of the parents, who confided in The PUNCH, the church and parents of the students are already working to raise ransom.

She said if the ransom was paid on Monday, the students “will hopefully be released on Tuesday going by the promise of their abductors.”

The parent stated, “The bandits demanded hundreds of millions of naira, but later scaled down their demands to N60m, reducing it to N500,000 per student.

“We (parents) have gathered some amounts but the church is trying to raise the remaining money to meet up with the demands of the bandits.”

A brother to one of the kidnapped students, Jesse Peter, said, “The bandits called us on Saturday and said we should raise N500,000 for each of the 120 students remaining with them in the bush. They gave us till Sunday morning to pay the money before shifting the ultimatum to Sunday evening. We have yet to pay and the time they gave us has elapsed and they have not communicated with us since then.

“The parents are still shocked about the whole thing. As for us, we don’t have such money anywhere. We have resorted to prayers.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Lady Abduct, Murder Corper to Snatch Her Boyfriend

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Commissioner of Police, Sunday Babaji, has said the late 26-year-old National Youth Service Corps member, Terungwa Stephanie, was allegedly killed from exposure to a corrosive substance.

The commissioner disclosed this while parading three suspects in connection to her death at the FCT Police Command on Monday in Abuja.

The suspects are: Jenifer Tsembe ‘f’, 26, Monday Simon (a.k.a Black) ‘m’, 36, and Solomon Abu ‘m’, 35.

Babaji revealed that the suspects conspired to kidnap the victim in order for Jennifer to have her alleged lover, one Edward Achadu, all to herself.

He said, “Our investigation revealed that the suspects criminally conspired and murdered the victim to separate her from Edward Achadu so that Jennifer Tsembe, one of the suspects and an estranged lover of Edward, could have him all to herself, especially for pecuniary benefits.

Tsembe told The PUNCH that she only conspired to abduct Jennifer and demand ransom from Achadu, but had no intention to kill her.

She also alleged that one of the other male suspects, Solomon, initiated the plan of the abduction.

However, the other suspects confessed that Tsembe, who is friends with the deceased, had conceived the plan for the deceased to come to her house where she requested their help to tie her upon her arrival. They alleged that after they had played their part, Tsembe instructed them to go away leaving the suspect, deceased and her child behind.

Simon said after he left, Tsembe had called him to say she needed help with the body because the deceased had died. Black, however, alleged that the suspect had already bathed her with acid by the time he arrived at the scene.

The Police commissioner, thereafter, said the Command had intensified investigation to reveal facts that could lead to further arrests of any other fleeing participant(s) in the criminal act.

He said, “The suspects will be charged to court. The command has intensified investigation to reveal facts that could lead to the arrest of any other fleeing participant(s) in the criminal act.

Terungwa Stephanie went missing after she reportedly left home with her one year plus five-months-old son on April 14, 2022, and never returned. Her son was later recovered at the Holy Trinity Catholic Church upon a call placed through to one of the paternal relatives a day after.

The Punch

Continue Reading

Metro

Police Declare Fleeing Suspected Killers of Deborah in Viral Video Wanted

Published

on

The Nigeria Police Force, Sokoto State Command, have declared fleeing suspects captured in viral video of the killing and subsequent setting on fire of Deborah Samuel wanted for culpable homicide.

The deceased, who was, until her death, a 200-level student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto, was accused of blasphemy after which some of her classmates among others stoned her to death before setting her body on fire within the school premises.

This was contained in a press release signed by the command’s public relations officer, ASP Sanusi Abubakar, and made available to newsmen in the state on Tuesday

He further explained that those arrested at the scene of the incident while dispersing the mob had been charged to court and the court remanded them in prison.

“The Sokoto State Command under the able leadership of the Commissioner of Police, CP Kamaldeen Okunlola, has declared the suspects spotted on the viral video wanted.

“The Command is using these medium to reiterate its commitment towards apprehending the suspects. The command has already deployed all its intelligence and on the lookout for the suspects .

“Members of the public are enjoined to cooperate with the police and report any mere identification to the command or any security outfit in their domain.”

“The command can be reached through its emergency number 07068848035,” he added.

The Punch

Continue Reading

Metro

Suspected Killers of Deborah Samuel Plead Not Guilty, Remanded in Prison Custody

Published

on

Police on Monday arraigned two suspects, Bilyaminu Aliyu and Aminu Hukunci over the lynching of a 200-Level Home Economics student of Shehu Shagari College of Education, Sokoto State, Deborah Samuel, on May 12.

The suspects, co-students of the deceased, were arraigned at a Sokoto Chief Magistrates’ Court for their alleged participation in the crime.

They pleaded not guilty to the crime.

Prosecuting Inspector Khalil Musa told the court that an investigation was in progress as Deborah’s corpse was still in a morgue at the Usmanu Danfodiyo University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto.

Leading a team of 34 lawyers, the defence counsel, Prof. Mansur Ibrahim, applied for their bail on liberal terms, citing constitutional provisions and sections of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law.

The trial judge (name withheld for security reasons) reserved the ruling on the bail application and ordered the accused to be remanded at a correctional centre.

Before she was lynched, Deborah was accused of blasphemy on a WhatsApp chat platform set up by her course mates and refused to retract her post after she was asked to pull it down.

A violent street protest followed the arrest of suspects linked to the lynching of Deborah as the protesters demanded their immediate release by security operatives.

Governor Aminu Tambuwal consequently imposed a 24-hour curfew on Sokoto metropolis on Saturday. He relaxed the curfew on Monday to be observed from dusk to dawn.

(NAN)

Continue Reading