Connect with us

Uncategorized

COVID-19: Nigeria Reports 64 New Cases, Total 1,337

Published

on

Nigeria’s tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases rose to 1,337 on Monday, from 1, 273 reported on Sunday evening by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

The agency in a tweet Monday night said 64 new cases were reported in five states. These are Lagos, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Borno, Taraba and Gombe.

It is the second day the number of confirmed cases would fall in the country.

Also, additional 16 people recovered from the disease were discharged on Monday.

The figure was released hours after President Muhammadu Buhari addressed the country on the new measures the government intends to adopt in containing the spread of the virus.

A breakdown of the latest update shows that 34 of the new cases were reported in Lagos, 15 in FCT, Borno – 11, while Taraba and Gombe have two apiece.

Lagos remains the epicentre for the outbreak in Nigeria.

NCDC said one case previously reported as a Lagos State case, is now reported as an FCT case. The total number of confirmed cases in Lagos is now at 764 and there are 157 in Abuja, the FCT.

Kano State has not reported any case in the past five days as testing was was discontinued there last week.

On Thursday, the health minister, Osagie Ehanire, said the Kano centre was temporarily closed because some staff of the laboratory were infected with COVID-19. He also comfirmed the centre ran short of some testing reagents.

The NCDC said as of 11:30 pm. April 27, there were 1,337 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Nigeria. Of these, 255 infected people have recovered and have been discharged and 40 deaths have been recorded in 32 states and the FCT.

A breakdown of all the cases shows that Lagos State has so far reported 764 cases, followed by FCT – 157, Kano – 77, Borno – 41, Gombe – 37, Ogun – 35, Osun – 34, Katsina – 30, Edo – 25, Oyo -21, Kaduna – 15, Akwa Ibom – 12, Bauchi – 14, Kwara – 11, Sokoto – 10, Ekiti, Taraba and Ondo – 8, Delta – 6, Rivers – 6, Jigawa – 2, Enugu – 2, Niger – 2, Abia – 2, Zamfara – 2,. Benue, Anambra, Adamawa, Plateau, Bayelsa, Ebonyi, Kebbi and Imo have one case each.

 

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Uncategorized

Nigeria’s Coronavirus Tally Hits 627 With Additional 86 Cases

Published

on

Nigeria, on Sunday, recorded 86 new cases of coronavirus, its largest daily figure since the outbreak in February. With the newest update, the total tally of infected people in the country rose to 627 from 541 reported on Saturday evening.

The public health agency in a tweet late Sunday night said that new cases were reported in seven states. These are Lagos, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Katsina, Akwa Ibom, Jigawa, Bauchi and Borno states.

Two states, Jigawa and Borno, reported their first cases of the infection on Sunday.

Also, Lagos State reported its highest daily figure of confirmed cases since the index case was reported in February.

A breakdown of the newest update shows that 70 of the new cases were reported from Lagos, seven in the FCT, three each in Katsina and Akwa Ibom, and one each in Jigawa, Borno and Bauchi.

NCDC said as of 11:50 p.m. on April 19, there were 627 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Nigeria. Of these, 170 infected people have recovered and have been discharged while the death toll rose to 21 from 19 reported on Saturday.

A breakdown of all the cases shows that Lagos State has so far reported 376 cases, followed by FCT – 88, Kano – 36, Osun – 20, Oyo – 16, Edo – 15, Ogun and Katsina, 12 cases each, while Kwara and Akwa Ibom have recorded nine cases each.

Bauchi has 7 cases, Kaduna – 6, Delta, Ondo and Ekiti, 3 cases each, Enugu, Rivers, Niger and Jigawa have two cases each, while Benue, Anambra and Borno have recorded one apiece.

A total of 21 states and the FCT have so far reported at least a case of the disease.

Meanwhile, NCDC earlier tweeted that it made a mistake in the compilation of cases reported from Ekiti State.

The agency said as of Saturday, there were three cases in the state and not four as reported.

Correcting the error, it said “yesterday , we erroneously reported one new case in Ekiti. This was wrong and was caused by an error in the verification process.”

Therefore, as of April 18, 2020, there were 541 confirmed cases, 166 discharged and 19 deaths.

Ekiti State has three confirmed cases, so far, not 4, the agency said.

The agency also apologised to the government of Ekiti State for the error.

“We remain committed to improving our quality control processes, to ensure accurate and transparent reporting of cases,” it stated.

COVID-19 is primarily spread through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes or speaks.

As such, it is important to keep a distance of two metres away from people because those infected by the virus can not be detected without a test.

Premium Times

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Just In: English Premier League Suspended Till April 4 over Coronavirus

Published

on

The English Football League has been suspended following positive results for Coronavirus from Arsenal coach, Mikel Arteta and Chelsea’s Callum…

FULL PREM STATEMENT

Premier League football has been postponed until April 4.

The League announced the news this morning with an official statement that read: “Following a meeting of Shareholders today, it was unanimously decided to suspend the Premier League with the intention of returning on 4 April, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time.

“Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said: ‘Above all, we wish Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi speedy recoveries, and everyone else affected by COVID-19.

“’In this unprecedented situation, we are working closely with our clubs, Government, The FA and EFL and can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority.’

“Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League’s aim to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by Academy sides, when it is safe to do so.

“In this fast-moving environment, further updates will be provided when appropriate.”

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Poor Facilities, Mosquitoes Force Coronavirus Patient to Attempt Escape from Isolation

Published

on

Following the detection of the first case of novel Coronavirus disease in Nigeria, and the placing in quarantine of the patient, identified as a 44-year-old Italian, at the Mainland Hospital, Yaba, Lagos (formerly, Infectious Diseases Hospital), a health worker at the hospital said on Friday that the patient was angry and had attempted to escape.

The patient had complained about the state of the isolation centre, our source said.

The high ranking health worker, who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity on Friday, decried the ‘very poor quality’ of the isolation centre, lamenting that “the authorities have not matched words with action.”

Deputy Governor of Lagos State, Obafemi Hamzat, had said on Friday that the state government had built a facility to handle the situation, adding that the patient was getting better.

Hamzat had said, “It is a lab that can accommodate 100 for now, but it is only one bed that is occupied today. Hopefully, it wouldn’t spread. We are ready and we are well equipped. He (the patient) is there and he is getting better. He is steady. The doctors say he is going to be fine.’’

But the health worker told our correspondent that the Coronavirus index case had been “very upset about the surrounding,” adding that the patient “complained of excessive heat and mosquitoes.”

In an interaction with our correspondent, the health worker, who did not wear any personal protective equipment required of workers in such an environment, said, “The patient wanted to run away yesterday (Thursday). The Italian man, who seems to be an engineer, was very angry that the room where he was kept was very hot.

“There is nothing there (inside the isolation ward) aside from bed and hospital locker. He almost ran away and is still threatening to do that.”

The source said the level of preparedness in Lagos State for infectious diseases such as coronavirus and Lassa fever “is zero.”

An online entry describes the Mainland Hospital, where the Italian is being quarantined, as “an ultra-modern multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment centre, with a 40-bed admission facility.”

Our source, who emerged from the Out Patient Department of the Mainland Hospital, Yaba, alleged that Lagos State did not have the facility to accommodate individuals who might have come in contact with the Italian.

According to the source, the facility that is meant to accommodate both suspected and confirmed Coronavirus cases is still undergoing renovation “and might take a while” before it can function fully.

He also revealed that the isolation area was a room in one of the wards, and that it was quickly vacated to accommodate the index case.

The source alleged, “The only thing demarcating the room from other rooms in the ward is a red and white barricade tape. That is where the Italian man that tested positive to coronavirus is kept.

“There is no single equipment inside that place. It is just like any other regular hospital room with a bed. That building you see that is being repainted is the original place meant to quarantine coronavirus patients.

“As you can see, the place is not ready. The state government is just renovating it, despite the fact that the virus started spreading since December 2019. It is really sad that a country like Nigeria is never ready to medically contain infectious disease outbreak.

“This is why most health workers leave, because they are predisposed to danger of infection.”

According to the source, the Mainland Hospital does not have a ready and designated facility to isolate and treat Lassa fever patients, much less coronavirus. The source noted that the place earmarked for Lassa fever treatment had yet to be completed.

The source said, “The place meant for Lassa fever patient has been under construction in the past one month. It is not yet completed. As you can see, they are makeshift structures, hurriedly put together with white tarpaulin.

“They are not permanent structures and I don’t know how this place can accommodate humans that have a highly infectious disease like Lassa fever,” he said.

The health worker noted that despite the fact that the state government had been able to track some persons that had had contact with the index coronavirus case, they could not be quarantined, allegedly because the state lacks requisite facility.

“The standard medical operational procedure is to track all contacts and have them quarantined to avoid further spread of the virus. But we cannot do that here because we lack such facility, which is why there is emphasis on self quarantine.

“Even where the Italian man is presently being isolated was a room vacated by a patient. I pray God save us in the coming months because we are not ready for the danger posed by the coronavirus.”

Another worker in the hospital, who also spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed that the patient was being isolated in Ward C.

The source said, “When the Italian was brought here, he was taken immediately to a room for isolation. He is there and we are still expecting more in the coming days.”

A nurse at the facility, who appeared unconcerned by the situation on ground, was seen walking out of the isolation area without wearing personal protective equipment.

When asked why she was not wearing a face mask and gloves, she answered our correspondent with a tinge of sarcasm; “What is coronavirus?”

“Gloves and face masks cannot do anything. We have been working here for years with people that have deadly diseases. At last, all of us will die,” she quipped as she walked away.

Meanwhile, the Medical Director of the Mainland Hospital, Dr. Abimbola Bowale, has assured that the patient “is stable and responding to treatment.”

He said the patient, who was admitted and quarantined on Thursday, “is clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed and quarantined in accordance with health safety standard.”

“We are doing trace-monitoring, and, for now, we cannot say how many people he must have come in contact with.

“We are on top of the situation and all necessary precautions are being put in place,” he added.

The Punch

Continue Reading