Connect with us

Metro

Days after Oyo Assembly, Gunmen Invade Ekiti Secretariat

Published

on

Barely three days after armed Yoruba Nation agitators invaded the Oyo State Government Secretariat, gunmen on Tuesday, stormed the Ilejemeje Local Government Area Secretariat in Ẹda-Oniyọ, Ekiti State, causing pandemonium among the workers.

The attackers disrupted normal activities and forced employees to flee the premises for safety.

The hoodlums, who were said to have come from the Obbo-Ayegunle community in the neighbouring Kwara State, violently stormed the secretariat, firing several gunshots, making workers run in different directions for dear lives, and in the ensuing pandemonium, one person was injured.

Reports said the hoodlums vandalized the Secretariat building and other property of the council.

Although the cause of the attack was still sketchy as at the time of filling this report, it was however gathered that the two communities have been embroiled in crisis for some time over land disputes.

During the attack, which lasted for several hours, one person was said to have sustained serious injury and rushed to the State Specialist Hospital in Iye-Ekiti.

The hoodlums reportedly heavily armed with dangerous weapons including gun, charms and cutlasses. They invaded the Secretariat at about 10:am.

Speaking on the attack, the Eleda of Eda Oniyo community, Oba Awodipo Awolola, explained that the hoodlums had in few days attacked some residents of the community, with charm in their farmlands, the development which the monarch said had resulted in panic and tension in the community.

The traditional ruler, who lamented the absence of police post in the area, said there is a need for security outfits to mobilise more officer to the community to prevent further breaking of law and orders.

Similarly, the Chairman of Ilejemaje Local Government, Mr. Alaba Dada, said the suspected hoodlums were from the Obbo-Ayegunle community in Kwara State.

He attributed the attacks to the lingering land disputes between the two communities, he explained that though security agents had been mobilised to the town to prevent repraisal attacks.

He said there is need for the Ekiti and Kwara State governments to meet, and settle the land dispute in the interest of peace and harmonious relationship.

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Police Dismissed Officers Caught Fighting in Viral Video, FPRO Clarifies, Says Incident Happened in 2020

Published

on

The Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, has said that the video making the rounds in the social media about two offiers fighting in the public space is an old video, adding that the incident occurred in 2020.

In a press statement made available to this medium, the FPRO noted the two erring officers, who were identified as F/NO. 491112 Cpl Ozimaede Aidonojie and F/NO. 516384 PC Salubi Stephen, have since been dismissed.

He wrote:

The Nigeria Police Force is aware of a video circulating on social media platforms depicting a street fight involving two police officers. The two officers involved were identified as F/NO. 491112 Cpl Ozimaede Aidonojie and F/NO. 516384 PC Salubi Stephen, both of whom served at the Ebele Divisional Police Headquarters in Edo State.

Upon thorough examination of the video in question, it has been confirmed that this regrettable incident occurred in the year 2020. The behavior displayed by the officers during this altercation, witnessed by members of the public who had to intervene to separate them, is completely unacceptable and unbecoming of officers entrusted with upholding law and order.

In response to this serious breach of professional ethics, both Cpl Ozimaede Aidonojie and PC Salubi Stephen have been dismissed from the Force. Their dismissal was officially communicated through a Police wireless signal with reference number CH 6450/EDS/PROV/VOL.3/188, dated April 24, 2020.

The Nigeria Police Force wishes to reiterate its condemnation of such act in the strongest terms, while assuring resolute commitment to maintaining the highest standards of professionalism and integrity among its personnel.

Members of the public are encouraged to continue to partner with the Force, as partnership is key to promoting accountability and transparency in the Force, as well as enhancing a safe and secure environment for all.

Continue Reading

Metro

Lagos Govt Ban Extension Classes Vows Repercussions for Defaulting Schools, Teachers

Published

on

The Lagos State government has issued a stern warning to teachers and schools against extending official hours for fee-paying extra lessons.

This directive was announced by the Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Jamiu Tolani Alli-Balogun, during the unveiling of a block of classrooms and furniture at Amuwo Odofin Junior High School complex.

Alli-Balogun emphasized that the extra hour after the official closing time – typically used for paid lessons – ought to be for extracurricular activities. The activities, the commissioner said, include clubs such as the Red Cross, Red Crescent, Boys Scouts, Boys/Girls Brigade, STEM Club, Writing and Debate Club, are essential for the well-rounded development of students.

Expressing his disapproval of the practice where the first lesson of the day is often neglected by teachers, Alli-Balogun warned that any teacher found derelict in their duties would face strict consequences.

“Do your job at the right time between 8.00am and 2.00pm and leave the extra hour for reading or extracurricular activities.

“We will no longer condone using that time for fee-paying extra lessons in our schools. Education is free in Lagos State, and nobody should be charging any fee for anything,” he warned.

The commissioner made these remarks during the inauguration of new classroom facilities and furniture at the Amuwo-Odofin Junior High School Complex, a project sponsored by Grimaldi Group and Ports & Terminal Multiservices Ltd.

He urged students to fully engage in the various social activities and clubs available to ensure their holistic development.

Alli-Balogun’s stern message underscores the government’s commitment to free education and the importance of extracurricular activities in fostering a balanced educational environment.

Continue Reading

Metro

MNJTF Intercepts Boko Haram Logistics Movement, Kill One, Recover Weapons

Published

on

Troops of Sector 2 Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) based in Bagasola, Chad, have neutralized one suspected terrorist as well as frustrate the logistics movement of the Boko Haram group.

The achievement was part of the ongoing Operation Lake Sanity 2, of the task force through an ambush on Monday, according to a statement signed by the Chief Public Information Officer, Lt. Col. Abubakar Abdullahi, and made available to the National Association of Online Security News Publishers (NAOSNP).

This operation took place on Litri Island, situated on the border between Chad and Nigeria in the Central Lake Chad, resulting in the neutralization of one terrorist. The troops were able to recover several items from the operation, including one AK 47 rifle, 2 x magazines, one unexploded ordnance device, a mobile phone, and other personal belongings. This marks a blow to terrorist capabilities in the area.

Complementing this success, on 11 May 2024, troops from 19 Brigade Sector 3 MNJTF disrupted a logistics movement by Boko Haram terrorists in the Burwarti area of Kukawa LGA, Borno State, Nigeria. The ambush led to the capture of 2 motorcycles, one Baofeng radio, 4 bags of millet, and various miscellaneous items. Following this operation, on 12 May 2024, a clearance operation from Burwarti to Daban Masara resulted in the intercept of a civilian vehicle by troops. The vehicle, driven by Mr Baba Ado, carrying passengers and empty baskets towards Daban Masara, was found 6km east of Burwarti. After a thorough search and interrogation, Mr Baba Ado, who was on the 19 Brigade’s watch list, was detained for further investigation.

Adding to these successes, on 13 May 2024, the Nigerien Gendarmerie in Sector 4 MNJTF located in Diffa, Niger Republic, seized petroleum products concealed within sacks of maize cereals. This operation, conducted about 5km from the main road on the outskirts of Diffa town, thwarted an attempt to smuggle these products past security checkpoints, products that were destined for terrorist groups operating within the Lake Chad Basin.

These collective efforts significantly undermine the logistical and operational capabilities of terrorists in the Lake Chad Basin region. The MNJTF remains committed to eradicate the menace of terrorism and restore peace and security to the region.

Continue Reading