Connect with us

Metro

Drama As Female Corpse ‘Walks’ Away from Ogun Mortuary

Published

on

A yet-to-be-identified female corpse slated for burial on Saturday has gone missing from the morgue of the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, Sagamu, Ogun State.

A hospital source said the drama started on Friday when the family of the deceased came to the hospital to take the body for burial only for them to discover that the corpse was no longer in the mortuary.

The source said the body, which was brought to the morgue in October 2022, could not be found among 69 other bodies shown to the family for verification.

The two attendants in charge of the morgue fled the premises, according to Punch reports

The source said, “The family members of the deceased came from Ijebu-Ode to Sagamu with undertakers and ambulance on January 27, 2023, to claim their corpse for burial, but were surprised to discover that the corpse was not part of the 69 bodies brought out of the morgue for verification.

“The CMD and other officials of the hospital were in a confused state as to what could have led to the disappearance of the female corpse deposited in the morgue since October last year.

“A Divisional Police Officer and his men, with other security agencies, visited the Morbid Anatomy and Histopathology Department of the hospital over the matter.”

The management of OOUTH, however, described the incident as a mix-up.

The Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr Oluwabunmi Fatungase, in a statement on Saturday, said the hospital was working with agents to unravel the circumstances behind the incident.

She noted that the footage from the Closed-Circuit Television camera was also being evaluated.

The CMD hinted that the hospital would go as far as conducting a DNA test to identify the corpse.

She said, “Any circumvention of the quality assurance of the hospital will not be taken lightly and necessary consequences in consonance with the public service rules will be applied on whoever is found culpable

“The present administration in Ogun State has upgraded the mortuary with modern freezers and scaled up its amenities. The mortuary services have been a preferred place for many people to keep the remains of their beloved intact until they are ready for burial.

“While apologising to the affected family for the embarrassing situation, we seek their cooperation towards the ongoing investigation. The corpse will be identified and released to them for a befitting burial soon.”

The Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Abimbola Oyeyemi, said he was not aware of the incident, but promised to get back to our correspondent.

He had yet to do so as of the time the Punch filed its report.

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Gunmen Abduct Three Fouani Brothers in Lagos

Published

on

Three brothers who work for Fouani Nigeria Ltd have reportedly been abducted in Lagos state, according to a TheCable’s report.

Fouani Nigeria Ltd specialises in electronics and is the sole distributor of LG, Hisense and Maxi products in Nigeria.

The brothers; Abbas Fouani, Youssef Fouani and Amtal Fouani, were said to have been abducted around 6pm on Friday.

They were reportedly coming from their factory by boat when they were abducted.

The Lagos police command confirmed the abduction to TheCable.

“We got a report about the abduction and we have commenced investigations,” TheCable quoted Benjamin Hundeyin, the command’s spokesperson.

TheCable

Continue Reading

Metro

Eid-ui-Adha: FG Declares Monday, Tuesday As Public Holidays

Published

on

The Federal Government has declared Monday and Tuesday as public holidays to mark this year’s Eid-ui-Adha celebration.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Interior, Dr. Aishetu Gogo Ndayako, disclosed this in a statement on Friday.

He said the Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government, and congratulated all Muslim Ummah both at home and in the Diaspora on this occasion.

“He called on the Muslim Ummah to continue to imbibe the spirit of peace, kindness and sacrifice, as exemplified by Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be upon Him) and to also use the period to pray for unity, prosperity and the stability of our country,” the statement read.

“The Minister assured that the Administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR is committed to safeguarding the  lives and property of all Nigerians.

“While wishing the Muslim Ummah a happy Eid-ul- Adha celebration, the Minister advised all Nigerians to take responsibility in the resolve to hand over a prosperous Nigeria to our children.”

On June 7, the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar, declared Sunday, June 16, as Eid-el-Kabir day after affirming that Friday is the first day of Dhul Hijjah.

Sultan disclosed this in a statement by the Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Religious Affairs to the Sultanate Council, Sambo Junaid, in Sokoto State.

“His Eminence, the Sultan felicitates with Nigeria’s Muslim Ummah and wishes them Allah’s guidance and blessings.

“The Sultan, while urging the Muslim Ummah to continue to pray for peace, progress and development of the country also wishes all Muslims a Happy Eid-El-Kabir. May Allah (SWT) accept our religious deeds, amen”, the Sultanate council said in the statement.

Continue Reading

Metro

FRSC Corps Marshal Mourns Death of 19 Commuters on Jebba Road, Cautions Drivers on Overspeeding

Published

on

The Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Shehu Mohammed has expressed displeasure over the alarming rate of recklessness by drivers, who have continued to contravene established traffic regulations and causing undue harm to lives and unprecedented destruction to property.

The Corps Marshal stated this, according to a statement signed by the Public Education Officer, Corps Commander Olusegun Ogungbemide, and made available to the National Association of Online Security News Publishers (NAOSNP), in the wake of a fatal road traffic crash that occured at Kanbi village, on the Olooru new Jebba road in Kwara State at exactly 2000HRS on Thursday 13 June, 2024.

This is inspite of the efforts put in place by the Federal Road Safety Corps to reduce Carnage’s on the nation’s highways,

Preliminary investigations reveal that the crash occured as a result of excessive speed and wrongful overtaking, and involves two vehicles; a blue Iveco trailer with no trace of registration and a white Toyota Hiace bus with registration number LSD363YE.

A total of 25 persons comprising 13 male adults, five female adults, two female children and five male children were invved in the crash.

While 19 persons were killed, comprising 11 male adults, 3 female adults, 3 male children, and 2 female children, five were injured (3 male adults and 2 female adults).

The injured victims have been rescued to Orisun Ayo hospital, 1 corpse was deposited at the morgue of the same hospital while the remaining 18 dead bodies were claimed by the families of the deceased.

You would recall that in recent time, the Corps, apart from setting up an Inter-agency Joint Task Force to tackle the excesses of trailer drivers, equally enhanced its enlightenment campaigns as well as ensured robust engagement of stakeholders, especially the various transport unions all in a bid to curb the ugly occurrences.

In line with his 2024 agenda for drastic reduction in road carnage’s, the Corps Marshal has therefore, directed Commanding Officers to intensify special patrol operations against these identified violations.

Continue Reading