Connect with us

Metro

Father Dies During Fight with Young Daughter’s Rapist

Published

on

The Lagos State Police Command has launched a manhunt for the driver of Luyol Secondary School, Iju, Jacob Fatokin, for allegedly killing a father who accused him of sexually molesting his daughter in the state.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the victim’s parents, after being notified of the driver’s illicit act against their daughter, visited the school to tender an official complaint against the driver.

The owner of the school, after listening to the parents and the pupil who narrated her ordeal in the hands of the driver, reportedly questioned the driver, who denied the allegation.

Enraged by the development, the pupil’s mother, while speaking to the News Agency of Nigeria, said her husband slapped the driver, adding that the situation degenerated into a scuffle between the driver and her husband.

The pupil’s mother said the driver hit her husband’s chest, and in the process, he collapsed and was rushed to hospital where he was confirmed dead.

She said, “On Wednesday, February 1, my daughter told me that her school bus driver had been taking her to his house around Ajuwon, on the pretext that he needed to drop something at home and that she should follow him.

“When they entered the house, the driver would ask my daughter to sit on his lap; to raise her school uniform and to kiss his mouth. I told my husband what our daughter said on Monday, February 6 and he immediately called the school to complain and said he was also reporting the allegation to the police.

“He was told to come to the school first so we went there on Tuesday, February 7 and we met the school owner, the driver and some of the teachers. The school owner after listening to us, confronted the driver, saying he returned late with the school bus the previous week and when asked, he said he went to do something at home.”

The aggrieved mother said Fatokin denied sexually molesting her daughter, adding that the case was also reported at the Iju Police Station for further investigation.

“The driver couldn’t say anything other than me? Me? Me? My visibly angry husband went to the driver, shouted at him and questioned why he molested his daughter.

“My husband angrily slapped the driver and they started fighting during which he pushed my husband on his chest. He (her husband) fell and efforts to revive him were abortive. We rushed him to a hospital, where he was confirmed dead,’’ the widow told NAN.

It was learnt that Fatokin absconded after perpetrating the crime.

A representative of the school, who gave his name only as Akin, when contacted on Sunday, said the matter had been reported to the police, adding that an investigation into the case was ongoing.
“The matter has been reported to the Iju station; the police will be able to give you all the information, they have with them. An investigation is ongoing,” Akin said.

Contacted on Sunday for a reaction, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said, “No arrest has been made; the driver is on the run. He is accused of sexually molesting the girl and he is on the run. We are on his trail.”

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Gunmen Abduct Three Fouani Brothers in Lagos

Published

on

Three brothers who work for Fouani Nigeria Ltd have reportedly been abducted in Lagos state, according to a TheCable’s report.

Fouani Nigeria Ltd specialises in electronics and is the sole distributor of LG, Hisense and Maxi products in Nigeria.

The brothers; Abbas Fouani, Youssef Fouani and Amtal Fouani, were said to have been abducted around 6pm on Friday.

They were reportedly coming from their factory by boat when they were abducted.

The Lagos police command confirmed the abduction to TheCable.

“We got a report about the abduction and we have commenced investigations,” TheCable quoted Benjamin Hundeyin, the command’s spokesperson.

TheCable

Continue Reading

Metro

Eid-ui-Adha: FG Declares Monday, Tuesday As Public Holidays

Published

on

The Federal Government has declared Monday and Tuesday as public holidays to mark this year’s Eid-ui-Adha celebration.

The Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Interior, Dr. Aishetu Gogo Ndayako, disclosed this in a statement on Friday.

He said the Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, made the declaration on behalf of the Federal Government, and congratulated all Muslim Ummah both at home and in the Diaspora on this occasion.

“He called on the Muslim Ummah to continue to imbibe the spirit of peace, kindness and sacrifice, as exemplified by Prophet Ibrahim (Peace be upon Him) and to also use the period to pray for unity, prosperity and the stability of our country,” the statement read.

“The Minister assured that the Administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu GCFR is committed to safeguarding the  lives and property of all Nigerians.

“While wishing the Muslim Ummah a happy Eid-ul- Adha celebration, the Minister advised all Nigerians to take responsibility in the resolve to hand over a prosperous Nigeria to our children.”

On June 7, the Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar, declared Sunday, June 16, as Eid-el-Kabir day after affirming that Friday is the first day of Dhul Hijjah.

Sultan disclosed this in a statement by the Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Religious Affairs to the Sultanate Council, Sambo Junaid, in Sokoto State.

“His Eminence, the Sultan felicitates with Nigeria’s Muslim Ummah and wishes them Allah’s guidance and blessings.

“The Sultan, while urging the Muslim Ummah to continue to pray for peace, progress and development of the country also wishes all Muslims a Happy Eid-El-Kabir. May Allah (SWT) accept our religious deeds, amen”, the Sultanate council said in the statement.

Continue Reading

Metro

FRSC Corps Marshal Mourns Death of 19 Commuters on Jebba Road, Cautions Drivers on Overspeeding

Published

on

The Corps Marshal, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Shehu Mohammed has expressed displeasure over the alarming rate of recklessness by drivers, who have continued to contravene established traffic regulations and causing undue harm to lives and unprecedented destruction to property.

The Corps Marshal stated this, according to a statement signed by the Public Education Officer, Corps Commander Olusegun Ogungbemide, and made available to the National Association of Online Security News Publishers (NAOSNP), in the wake of a fatal road traffic crash that occured at Kanbi village, on the Olooru new Jebba road in Kwara State at exactly 2000HRS on Thursday 13 June, 2024.

This is inspite of the efforts put in place by the Federal Road Safety Corps to reduce Carnage’s on the nation’s highways,

Preliminary investigations reveal that the crash occured as a result of excessive speed and wrongful overtaking, and involves two vehicles; a blue Iveco trailer with no trace of registration and a white Toyota Hiace bus with registration number LSD363YE.

A total of 25 persons comprising 13 male adults, five female adults, two female children and five male children were invved in the crash.

While 19 persons were killed, comprising 11 male adults, 3 female adults, 3 male children, and 2 female children, five were injured (3 male adults and 2 female adults).

The injured victims have been rescued to Orisun Ayo hospital, 1 corpse was deposited at the morgue of the same hospital while the remaining 18 dead bodies were claimed by the families of the deceased.

You would recall that in recent time, the Corps, apart from setting up an Inter-agency Joint Task Force to tackle the excesses of trailer drivers, equally enhanced its enlightenment campaigns as well as ensured robust engagement of stakeholders, especially the various transport unions all in a bid to curb the ugly occurrences.

In line with his 2024 agenda for drastic reduction in road carnage’s, the Corps Marshal has therefore, directed Commanding Officers to intensify special patrol operations against these identified violations.

Continue Reading