Connect with us

Metro

Five Teens Rape Eight-Year-Old Girl, Remanded after Punch Report

Published

on

Five teenagers who were accused of raping an eight-year-old girl on Adepeju Street, in the Bariga area of Lagos State in November 2022, have been remanded in custody by a Yaba Magistrates’ court.

According to the victim’s father, Abel Asuquo, the case was adjourned till February 10, 2023.

PUNCH Metro had earlier reported that the primary four pupil was defiled at different times by her teenage neighbours.

The police were reported to have arrested the suspects, but later released them without charges.

The victim’s father told our correspondent that after the report, the police re-arrested the suspects and took them to court.

He said a magistrate ordered one of the suspects, aged 18, and identified as Lateef to be remanded in the Ikoyi Custodial Centre, while others: Ebube, Ade, Sherif, and Kamal, were sent to a juvenile centre in Ogun State.

However, Asuquo said the Investigating Police Officer from the Bariga Police Station asked him to provide a vehicle to transport the defendants to the remand centres.

He said, “We went to court on Friday, thanks to the report by PUNCH newspapers because after that report, the Bariga policemen had no other option than to arraign the boys in court after PUNCH revealed the matter to the world.

“The parents of one of the boys used his car to bring all the suspects to the magistrates’ court at Yaba and after the whole thing, the magistrate recommended that Lateef, the oldest among them, should be remanded at the Ikoyi Custodial Centre.

“The magistrate also recommended that the others, who are under 18, should be sent to a correctional centre in Ogun State, though I don’t know the place. Meanwhile, in all this, the Bariga police told me to provide them with a vehicle to take the suspects to the Ikoyi centre and the juvenile centre in Ogun State.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Death Toll in Lagos Cholera Outbreak Hits 24

Published

on

The Lagos State Commissioner for Health, Prof Akin Abayomi said the cholera death toll has risen to 24.

Abayomi disclosed this in a post on his Instagram handle on Friday.

He also has confirmed 35 cases out of the 417 suspected cases across 20 Local Government Areas in the state.

The Commissioner said the situation report as of June 19, 2024, indicated, “417 suspected cases, 35 confirmed cases, and 24 recorded deaths.”

He advised residents to ensure personal and environmental hygiene.

He advised, “Let’s adhere strictly to personal and environmental hygiene. Let’s stay safe #ForAGreaterLagos”

The cases were reported from Agege, Badagry, Ikeja, Mushin, Ajeromi-Ifelofun, Epe, Ikorodu, Ojo, Alimosho, and Eti-Osa.

Others were Kosofe, Oshodi-Isolo, Amuwo-Odofin, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos Island, Shomolu, Apapa, Ifako-Ijaiye, Lagos mainland, and Surulere.

Cholera is a food and water-borne disease caused by ingesting the bacteria— Vibrio cholerae — in contaminated water and food. Cholera can cause severe acute watery diarrhoea, and the severe forms of the disease can kill within hours if left untreated.

In Nigeria, cholera is an endemic and seasonal disease, occurring annually mostly during the rainy season and more frequently in areas with poor sanitation.

The World Health Organisation on Thursday announced a spike in cholera in several regions of the world, with almost 195,000 cases and over 1,900 deaths reported in 24 countries since the start of 2024.

WHO said the Eastern Mediterranean Region reported the highest number of cases, followed by the African Region, the Region of the Americas, the Southeast Asia Region, and the European Region.

The global health body, however, noted that there are no reported cases in the Western Region, according to its bulletin released on Wednesday.

It said it exhausted its global stockpile of Oral Cholera Vaccines by March but was able to exceed “the emergency target of five million doses in early June for the first time in 2024.”

The Punch

Continue Reading

Metro

Glo Hails Ojude Oba, Others As Promoters of Cultural Heritage, Unity

Published

on

Telecommunications company, Globacom, has said that Ojude Oba and similar festivals in the country have enormous potential to promote cultural diversification, national identity, harmony and unity.

In his goodwill message to this year’s Ojude Oba festival in Ijebu Ode, Ogun State, on Tuesday, the Chairman of Globacom, Dr. Mike Adenuga Jr., also noted that these age-long festivals could foster cultural exchange and showcase Nigeria’s rich heritage to the world.

Dr Adenuga observed that the theme of this year’s celebration, UNITY AND HARMONY IN IJEBULAND: THE GIFT OF OJUDE OBA, emphasised the values that the festival had espoused for over a century that it has been in existence.

He added that the festivals also had potential to boost tourism and help in the diversification of the economy which was why the Federal Government and many governments across the globe have placed tourism on top of their development agenda. Dr. Adenuga pointed out that Globacom has kept its partnerships with the nation’s largest festivals to solidify and establish them as premier events that would draw even more visitors to Nigeria from around the globe.

He further stated that Globacom and the sons and daughters of Ijebuland, both at home and in the Diaspora, would greatly benefit from the partnership with the Ojude Oba Planning Committee.

One of the star activities of the Globacom-sponsored festival was the Regberegbe competition among the different age groups in Ijebuland. Egbe  Bobasete Okunrin Omooba came first; Egbe Bobagunte Okunrin Akile Ijebu second and Egbe Bobamayegun Okunrin Asiwaju came third.

In the female category, Egbe Bobagunwa Obinrin Omooba was adjudged the best dressed with Egbe Bobagunwa Obinrin Asiwaju and Egbe Arobayo Obinrin Akile Ijebu coming second and third respectively.

Continue Reading

Metro

FRSC Begins Mass Production of Drivers Licence, Churns Out 73, 740 Cards in 14 Days

Published

on

The Corps Marshal Shehu Mohammed-led Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), has began a mass production of National Drivers Licence as a strategic intervention mechanisms introduced towards clearing the backlogs of the National Drivers Licence.

Consequently, the Print Farm has produced 73,740 licenses in a space of two weeks according to a statement signed by the Public Education Officer, Corps Commander Olusegun Ogungbemide, and made available to the National Association of Online Security News Publishers (NAOSNP).

Recall that on assumption of office, one of the most cardinal steps taken by the Corps Marshal towards revamping the entire processes of the Corps was a working visit to the FRSC Print Farm, as well as other critical infrastructures so as to have on the spot assessment of the facilities with a view of strengthening their production capacity.

This assessment was propelled by the alarming rate of public outcry about the unprecedented delay applicants faced regarding issuance of the National Drivers License.

At the end of the assessment, the Corps Marshal set up a task force to ensure that the backlog is cleared in soonest possible time. He further directed 24 hours production and immediate rectification of the identified technical glitches that affected the overall production capacity of the farm.

As at the moment, a total of 84, 500 NDLs are on queue for production and expected to be delivered to the respective State Licensing Authorities nationwide.

Corps Marshal Shehu Mohammed, while assuring the public of the Corps’ commitment to quality service, called on applicants, especially those who have experienced delay, to await notification or contact their state licensing offices for pick up of the already produced ones.

Continue Reading