A police sergeant attached to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department, Yaba, Lagos State, has shot dead an 18-year-old admission seeker, Monsura Ojuade.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the incident happened around 11.30pm on Friday in the Surulere area of the state.
The victim was said to be in front of her parents’ house on Mogaji Street, Ijesha, Surulere, when some anti-robbery officers from the SCIID stormed the community.
A community leader, Onikeku Adedayo, said one of the cops approached him and demanded what he was doing outside by that time.
“I told him that I was in front of my house and I am a community leader. He said it was too late and I should go inside. I and a few others around me left. Not less than three minutes later, I heard a gunshot. I heard her sister scream that she had been shot. The policemen fled the scene immediately,” he added.
Adedayo said the victim was hit by a bullet that penetrated her two thighs, adding that she was immediately drenched in blood.
He explained that Monsura was rushed to a private hospital in the community, where she was rejected.
He said she was taken to the Randle General Hospital, where she was given first aid.
“By that time, she had collapsed and could not talk. The hospital placed her on oxygen and tried to stop the bleeding. They said they could not continue the treatment because her bones had been shattered by the bullet and she needed orthopaedic treatment.
“We were referred to either Igbobi Orthopaedic Hospital or Gbagada General Hospital. When we got to Igbobi, she was almost gone and we decided to take her to a private hospital, where she was confirmed dead. Although she was confirmed dead around 1.30am on Saturday, I believe that she died within 30 minutes of the shooting,” Adedayo added.
Another resident, Ismail Oguntoyinbo, said the policemen were from the SCIID, adding that they made an entry of their presence in the community at the Ijesha Police Station.
He said after leaving sorrow, tears and blood in their trail, they did not book their exit from the area.
“The Ijesha DPO said the policemen came to his station to report that they wanted to investigate some people they arrested and he gave them the go-ahead, but he never knew they came to raid. The DPO refused to disclose their identities,” he added.
PUNCH Metro gathered that Monsura was the third of three female children and filled Mass Communication and Accounting as her first and second choices in her Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations form.
She reportedly scored 236 in the UTME and was awaiting admission when she was killed.
Her remains were said to have been deposited in the Military Hospital morgue, Yaba.
“She ran inside the house when there was commotion outside, but one of the policemen shot her.
“Her mother fainted more than five times on Saturday after getting the news that she was dead. We were processing her admission when she was killed,” Oguntoyinbo said.
The victims’ parents were too distraught to speak to our correspondent.
Monsura was still in the colourful off-shoulder gown in which she took snapshots earlier that day.
Her sister, Tosin, told PUNCH Metro that the family would take legal actions against the police.
While demanding justice for her, she described the deceased as honest, respectful, loyal and industrious.
Court Sentences Dismissed Sergeant to Death by Hanging for Killing Driver over N100
A High Court in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, has sentenced a dismissed police sergeant, James Imhalu, to death by hanging for the murder of a commercial driver in 2015 over his refusal to pay a bribe of N100.
Justice Elsie Thompson, while delivering her judgment, said evidence before the court showed that the sacked sergeant intentionally fired a shot at the commercial driver, Legbara David, at Whimpey Junction, Port Harcourt.
Justice Thompson described Imhalu as a serial trigger-happy policeman who should not be allowed to remain in the society.
The prosecution counsel, Kingsley Briggs, said the judgement would serve as succour to the deceased’s family.
“Although the will of justice grinds slowly, surely justice will come.
“For the family of those that lost their breadwinner, it is quite unfortunate. But I believe this judgement will serve as succour to the family,” he stated.
On his part, a representative of the Legal Aid Council in Rivers State, who defended the sergeant, Mr Awaji, said his team would study the judgement to know the next line of action.
He said, “Today’s judgement I will say is justice for the people of Rivers State.
“Despite the fact that I represented the defendant, my analysis of the case when I came into the matter, I would say, I saw it coming.
“Having listened to the judgement, currently, there is no plan to go on appeal. But by the time we look at the judgement in-depth, perhaps we will find grounds for appeal. But as it is, there is no plan to go on appeal.”
LASTMA Denies Involvement in Burning of Bus, Warns Against Attack on Personnel
The Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) has denied reports making the rounds that its personnel were involved in the burning of a bus at the Obanikoro bus stop, Ikorodu Road. The Authority, while asking residents to desist from attacking LASTMA officials, stated that the report was the handiwork of an uninformed blogger.
Buttressing the facts of the matter in a statement signed by the Asst. Director, Public Affairs, Filade Olumide, and made available to the National Association of Online Security News Publishers (NAOSNP), the Authority hinted that “LASTMA Management after due diligence on the video, sympathise with the vehicle owner, but categorically deny complicity of any of its officers in the incidence portrayed on the video” while regretting that “…one of the LASTMA patrol officers offering helping hand with the burning vehicle was severely injured by uncalled-for mob action which seems to be occurring nowadays at the slightest alarm.”
The statement also condemned the shallow portrayal of the allegation as the picture evidence did not depict the allegation against its officials.
“The video report lacked pictorial evidence of LASTMA officers’ complicity; those interviewed were neither eye witnesses nor people directly involved in the incident, rather, they were people living within the inside street, close to the scene of the incidence on Ikorodu Road. Their evidences were hear-says’ and limited to after the arrival of security agencies officials to maintain law and order, after attacks on one of the LASTMA officials and also the Fire Fighters that were there to render assistance in putting out the fire in the vehicle,” the statement read.
It added that:
“LASTMA officials do not operate within side street and over time, the State Government has announced zero tolerance to attack on its officials while performing their duties as enshrined in the laws or as directed.
“We wish to reiterate that LASTMA personnel must not be attacked/assaulted while performing their duties or rendering service to the public.
“The LASTMA management also use this opportunity to advise reporters/bloggers to endeavour to conduct proper investigation and present facts rather than sentiments in their reportage for a peaceful and orderly society.”
Ondo Amotekun Arrests Suspected Masterminds of Owo Church Massacre
The Ondo State Security Network Agency, codenamed “Amotekun Corps” has confirmed that some suspects have been arrested in connection with the terrorist attack on St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo.
The suspected terrorists invaded the church on June 5, killing no fewer than 40 people and injuring many other worshippers.
The state Commander of Amotekun, Adetunji Adeleye, on Thursday said some suspects had been arrested in connection with the killing.
He stated this while parading some 71 men who were arrested for various criminal activities across the state.
The Amotekun boss said, “As regards the Owo incident, we have recovered the last vehicle they used for that operation and we made some arrests, and we have also recovered some vital things which we are working on.
“A number of people have been arrested concerning the Owo issue as well as a number of equipment. On that day, we pursued them to the point that we recovered the vehicle and we are still pursuing them. We have told you that until we get to the root, I can assure you that the perpetrators and their sponsors will be brought to book.”
On the 71 suspected criminals paraded at the headquarters of the command in Akure, the state capital, Adeleye explained that the suspects were arrested within the last one month for various offenses ranging from armed robbery, cattle rustling, kidnapping, raping, fraud and human trafficking.
“The 71 suspects were picked while committing offences and others were tracked to their hideouts in the forests. We have been able to get a cartel that specialises in stealing and dismantling motorbikes which we all know as okada. Also, we were able to recover over 50 bikes during the operation from these criminals.
“We also got reports from some herdsmen that their cattle were stolen. We went after them and brought the cows back to the Fulani herdsmen that owned the cow. We have a group of small boys who are under 18-year old that turned themselves into a cartel of criminals in a particular local government in Ondo State and armed themselves. They actually belong to a cult group called ‘Agbado’. We were able to arrest 12 out of the 17 members.
“We have about three to four suspected kidnappers and we intend to take most of these suspects, especially the ones we have concluded their investigations to the DPP and for their onward prosecution in court.”
He assured the people of the state that the corps would not rest on its oars until it rids the state of criminal elements, saying, “there is no hiding place for them. They turned the heat on us and we have also turned the heat on them.”