Former Minister of Power, Sale Mamman, has explained why he stayed away from his residence after his sacking by President Muhammadu Buhari.
The minister was fired alongside Sabo Nanono, the minister of agriculture and rural development, by the president on Tuesday.
There was a rumour that Mamman collapsed and was admitted to a hospital in Abuja after he received the news of his dismissal.
But in an interview with BBC Hausa, the former minister, who said he had been ill, dismissed the rumour, saying he did not faint, neither was he hospitalised.
Mamman said he had been suffering from an illness before the incident and that when he went to the doctor for a check-up, he was advised to take a rest.
“Even before this sack was announced, I was very unwell because I did not even go to the office earlier this week,” he said.
“So yesterday Wednesday and Thursday, I also went back to the hospital for a check-up, and the doctor told me I needed a break so I remained at one place to rest.
“I found a serene and quiet environment to rest and take medication as recommended by the doctor. I didn’t stay at home because sympathisers are trooping to console me; this would prevent me from resting and convalescing on time.
“But I was also not hospitalised, and I did not faint as reported.”
LSSTF’s Balogun Tours EPAIL Facility, Commends Management for Contributions to Security
The Executive Secretary/CEO of the Lagos State Security Trust Fund (LSSTF), Dr. Abdurrazaq Balogun, has paid a visit to the Equipment and Protective Applications International Limited (EPAIL) mega factory, with the Chairman/CEO of EPAIL expressing delight at the Fund’s visit while conducting his guest on a tour of the facility.
During the visit, the ES witnessed the production of security equipment such as armored hard body for vehicles, ballistic plates, helmets, vests, etc. from scratch using locally sourced materials. A test was also conducted on one of the locally made crowd dispersal water cannon and other crowd control equipment.
Speaking on the visit, Balogun said: “The security challenges in the state continue to increase as a result of the harsh economic situation in the country hence the visitation which was in furtherance of the Fund’s commitment to continue to source for and provide the required equipment and home grown state of the art security gadgets and technological solutions that meet international standards, fit for our terrain and useable by security agencies to combat crime in the State.”
The LSSTF CEO also commended EPAIL Nigeria for its outstanding work and contributions in the area of security, noting that “The importance of a strong and formidable security outfit cannot be overemphasized as it is one of the hallmarks of a thriving society. As we approach the 2023 general elections, it is critical that we strengthen our security agencies to enable them proactively combat crime and maintain law and order in the State, therefore we call on our donors to do more by way of contributions in cash or kind to the Fund towards improved security in the State in our collective self-interest”.
Subsequently, the Chairman of EPAIL thanked the Executive Secretary of the Fund for his visit and pledged his continuous support to the Fund.
Many Feared Killed As Explosion Rocks Kano
Many are feared dead after an explosion on Aba Road in the Sabon Gari area of Kano State.
While details of the blast are still sketchy as of the time of filing this report, visuals from the scene showed that many buildings, one of which is suspected to house a primary school, were affected.
One of the videos that surfaced online also showed injured schoolchildren being moved from the scene of the incident.
Parents were also searching for their children.
One of them was heard shouting “my children”.
Meanwhile, the Kano State Commissioner of Police, Sama’ila Dikko, has clarified that gas and not a bomb exploded in the state on Tuesday morning. He made the clarification during his visit to the scene of the incident.
Dikko, who spoke in Hausa, also confirmed that four persons were dead.
News of Closure of Ogui, Trans-Ekulu Stations Fake – Enugu Police
The Enugu State Police Command has said that the news making the rounds in the closure of Ogui and Trans-Ekulu police stations is fake, urging the public the disregard the false publication.
A statement by the Command’s PPRO, ASP Daniel Ndukwe, and made available to the National Association of Online Security News Publishers (NAOSNP), quoted the Commissioner of Police, Abubakar Lawal as describing the story as not just unfounded, and a figment of the publisher’s imagination, but also a misinformation targeted at creating panic among peace loving citizens of Enugu State.
The statement also expressed the CP’s resolve to continue to “deliver the statutory mandates of the Nigeria Police Force in the State, including ensuring that Police Stations remain opened to members of the public and maintain robust crime detection/prevention patrols and visibility policing of their assigned areas of responsibilities.”
CP Lawal therefore, urged the “general public and residents of Enugu State in particular, to disregard such untrue publications and continue to promptly report security situations and criminal activities to Police Stations nearest to them, noting that Police Stations in the State remain open to the general public on a twenty-four hour a day, seven days a week (24/7) basis.”