President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed shock over Tuesday’s mass killing by Boko Haram in a Borno village which resulted in the death of 81 residents.
On Tuesday, the Islamic State of West Africa (ISWAP), a breakaway faction of Boko Haram, launched one of its deadliest attacks in recent times on the residents of a village in Gubio local government.
The attack came days after the country’s Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, met with President Buhari in Abuja and briefed him on the ‘successes’ the army have made against insurgents in the last few months.
Reacting to Tuesday’s incident, President Buhari said in a statement released by his spokesman, Garba Shehu, on Wednesday, that “he is deeply shocked by the brutal killing of tens of people by the Boko Haram/Islam in West Africa Province (ISWAP) in Gubio village, Borno State.”
The president, who said he was expecting a detailed briefing by the Borno State Governor, Babagana Zulum, said he was particularly shocked by the “primordial nature of the killings” because it happened “not long after the Ramadhan and Eid, and the country is preparing to celebrate the Democracy Day.”
Condemning the incident, Mr Buhari charged the armed forces “to sustain their recent string of successes against the terrorists to extract a heavy price from the attackers, and bring back all those they kidnapped as well as a large number of cattle rustled.”
The president, according to the statement, awaits the outcome of the Borno governor’s visit to the affected communities.
The villagers informed the governor that 81 persons were killed during the attack, while others, including a village head, were abducted by the insurgents.
Meanwhile, the Nigerian military in a separate statement also confirmed the development even as it said the victims were mostly women and children.
Acting Director, Nigeria Army Public Relations, Sagir Musa, said in a statement that “the Army is deeply saddened by the unfortunate incident.”
Mr Musa, a colonel, said the attack was carried out by “suspected retreating Boko Haram/ISWAP terrorists with a few sleeper cells within communities.”
He said the insurgents ambushed and killed innocent women and children in Faduma Koloram village, Gubio LGA of Borno State.
PREMIUM TIMES reported earlier that Governor Zulum was briefed by a male survivor of the attack that insurgents invaded their community in three trucks, surrounded them and opened fire on them.
“We have also mandated the Theatre Command, Operation LAFIYA DOLE to enhance security, dominate the area and reassure the affected communities of the Nigerian Army’s commitment to protect the population,” the army spokesperson said.
Police Give Posthumous Promotion to 16 Officers Killed During #EndSARS Crisis, Others
The Inspector-General of Police, IGP M.A Adamu, NPM, mni, has today, 23rd November, 2020 approved the promotion of Eighty-Two Thousand, Seven Hundred and Seventy Nine (82,779) Junior Police Officers to their next ranks.
The promotion of the officers comprising 56,779 Sergeants to Inspector, 17,569 Corporal to Sergeants and 8,431 Constables to Corporal, according to a statement signed by Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba, is part of the on-going efforts at boosting the morale of personnel and repositioning the Force for greater efficiency. Those promoted also include 86 junior officers negatively impacted by the ENDSARS riots – 16 got special posthumous promotion while 70 others injured during the violence arising from the ENDSARS protests were equally specially promoted.
The IGP, while congratulating the officers, charged them to see their promotion as a mark of additional responsibility and a call to rededicate themselves to their professional calling. He enjoined them to continue to carry out their duties diligently and in conformity with best practices and respect for the rights of the citizen. He noted that the promotion albeit, posthumously, of the officers who were killed by some ENDSARS protesters is a symbolic gesture in recognition of the ultimate price they paid in the service of the nation.
The IGP promised to work with all relevant agencies, organs of Government and other stakeholders in driving a successful reform of the Police for improved welfare and conditions of service towards better service delivery to the people.
Court Remands Ali Ndume in Prison Custody over Failure to Produce Maina
A Federal High Court in Abuja has ordered Senator Ali Ndume (Borno South) remanded in Kuje correctional centre.
Justice Okon Abang made the order on Monday following Ndume’s failure to produce Abdulrasheed Maina, who is standing trial in court on money laundering charge and for whom, Ndume stood surety.
Justice Abang held that having failed to produce the Maina, who is believed to have jumped bail and having failed to show cause why he should not forfeit his bail bond, ordered that Ndume should only be released if he meets either of three conditions.
First is that he pays N500 million bail bond into the Federation Account of the Federal Government and present evidence of such payment in court or the Federal Government sells the property situated in Asokoro, Abuja which Ndume pledged as security for the bond and present evidence of sale and payment of the N500 million realised into the Federation Account or he (Ndume) produces Maina, who is believed to have now jumped bail, in court.
Ndume was immediately led away from the courtroom shortly after the judge’s pronouncement.
Lekki Shootings: Lawyer Considers Tendering CNN Report
A counsel representing some #EndSARS protesters, Mr Adeyinka Olumide-Fusika (SAN), has said his team is considering tendering an investigative report by the Cable News Network to the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry probing the alleged killing of #EndSARS protesters by soldiers on the night of October 20 at the Lekki tollgate.
The CNN, in its investigative report titled, ‘How a bloody night of bullets and brutality quashed a young protest movement in Nigeria,’ implicated the Nigerian Army for extrajudicial killing of peaceful protesters.
While the Nigerian Army had consistently maintained that its troops who engaged the #EndSARSprotesters only fired blank bullets into the air, the CNN report suggested that live bullets were used and that some of the protesters were indeed killed in the operation.
The Federal Government has condemned the CNN investigative report, but the media house said it stood by its report.
Olumide-Fusika, who is representing some protesters before the probe panel, had said that some of his clients claimed to have suffered gunshot injuries at the tollgate.
Asked on Sunday if he was considering tendering the CNN investigative report to the panel, Olumide-Fusika told our correspondent that, “We’re considering it.”
The lawyer had while cross-examining the witness of the Nigerian Army before the panel, Brigadier General Ahmed Taiwo, questioned the decision of the army to tender a report by the British Broadcasting Corporation on the incident to the panel.
“You presented only the BBC report because the report was palatable to you; you didn’t present Aljazeera and Deutsche Welle reports because they were not palatable to you,” Olumide-Fusika told Taiwo, who simply responded, “It was the BBC that we saw.”