A 22-year-old man, identified simply as Segun, is battling for his life at a general hospital in Ogun State after he drank insecticide, sniper.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the victim had scored 167 in the last Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examinations.
Segun, who was unhappy with his result, went onTwitter and expressed frustration at his repeated failure to secure admission into a tertiary institution despite several attempts.
He lamented that in 2015 when he sat the exam, he scored 189, adding that when he tried again in 2016, he scored 202.
The victim said when he attempted in 2017, he scored 233 and failed to get admission due to lack of funds.
He lamented that when he eventually got a sponsor, he could not get a good exam result in 2019.
In a tweet, he had informed his followers that he would go live on Twitter on Sunday, May 12, to show them how to take Sniper with tea.
“This thing go sweet o. You all should at least make this fun for me by 9pm please. Tune in and wish me luck,” he tweeted.
A clip, which has gone viral on the Internet, showed Segun pouring a bottle of Sniper into a cup purportedly containing tea.
The over five minute video showed as he took a spoon of the mixture, while reading live comments from his friends. A sombre music played in the background.
The 22-year-old could be seen leaving the room for a few seconds, before returning to continue reading the live comments, as he toyed with the poisoned cup.
Some Good Samaritans were reported to have run to the scene and rushed him to a private hospital, from where he was referred to the general hospital.
Segun, who took to his Twitter handle,@TweetsOfSHEGUN, on October 4, 2018, narrated how he lost his father at six and his mother had to cater to four children alone.
He said, “I graduated from secondary school in 2014. I went out to search for jobs. I found few unsuitable jobs, did them for a while, and later came across a pharmacy; I was employed.
“After a year, my mom asked, ‘Won’t you go to a tertiary institution?’ I said yes, I won’t go. She insisted; I asked her where we could get the funds. She said she would get a loan that I must go to school.
“So, from my savings I got a JAMB form in 2015. I requested time off work to register for JAMB, sat JAMB exam, and post-UTME also. I wrote JAMB exam and passed, passed post-UTME too, but I was not admitted. I tried again the following year. Same fate!
“Tried again the following year 2017, passed and got admitted for Medicine. I resigned from work, mom applied for a loan in more than three places and none was given to her. Why? The state government had bans on loans (if you are in Ogun State; you will know this to be true). She tried her best. Ultimatum for acceptance fee elapsed. My admission was withdrawn!”
A Twitter user, Pamilerin Adegoke, after reading the post, said he had decided to put Segun on a scholarship and he would pay all his university bills till he finished school.
However, Segun made a post on how he did not get a good result in the 2019 UTME, saying he would kill himself.
“It is now when people want to send me to school that I will score 167 in UTME? 167? LMFAO. Make I close eyes picks answers sef…Me?? 167??
“Meanwhile, I will be teaching y’all how to make tea with Sniper by 9pm live on Twitter. Tune in,” he wrote.
Adegoke told PUNCH Metro that the victim was in a stable condition.
He said, “We are at the state hospital where we were transferred to. If we don’t see improvement, we will move him to a private hospital. He is currently receiving treatment and in a stable condition.”
The punch – Oluwatobi Akindele
Legendary Football Star, Diego Amando Maradona Dies at 60
Diego Maradona, one of football’s greatest-ever players, has died. He was 60 years.
The 1986 World Cup winner had surgery to remove a blood clot on the brain earlier this month. The Argentine Football Association confirmed he had died this afternoon.
“The Argentine Football Association, through its president Claudio Tapia, expresses its deepest sorrow for the death of our legend, Diego Armando Maradona. You will always be in our hearts,” they said.
Another of football’s greats, Pele, has led the tributes to: “Certainly, one day we’ll kick a ball together in the sky above.” Follow latest updates and reaction here.
Dr Leopoldo Luque, Maradona’s personal physician, said the former player had shown signs of improvement after a successful operation three weeks ago.
Dr Luque said Maradona “laughed” and “grabbed my hand” just a day after he had the procedure.
“Diego is without any type of neurological deficit, without any type of complication associated with surgery,” Luque said, addressing reporters at the clinic’s door.
“He has an excellent post-operative period, the laboratory parameters even improved.
“The first impression is it is favourable, but it is difficult to evaluate.”
Gbajabiamila Asked to Cough Out N500m As Compensation for Family of Slain Vendor
The family of Ifeanyi Okereke, the vendor killed by a security aide of Femi Gbajabiamila, speaker of the house of representatives, is demanding N500 million from the number four citizen.
Last week, Okereke was shot by Abdullahi Hassan, a Department of State Services (DSS) operative attached to the speaker.
According to PUNCH, the demand was contained in a letter addressed to the speaker by Mike Ozekhome, counsel to the family.
In the letter dated November 23, the Okereke family said the demand is not enough to replace their son.
“Our clients have instructed us to make from your good self, the following modest demands: That you use your good offices to ensure the immediate prosecution of your security aide (Abdullahi Hassan), who went on a frolic of his own, clearly acted outside the purview of his duty and responsibility by shooting to death an innocent, harmless and armless citizen,” Ozekhome said.
“That you adequately compensate the Okereke family with a modest sum of N500m only.
“This monetary demand can never adequately replace or take the place of their son, husband, brother, and breadwinner’s life. But it will at least mitigate the obvious trauma and hardship the premature demise of their irreplaceable breadwinner has placed on them.”
The lawyer said if the speaker fails to accede to their demand in seven days, they would take legal steps.
“Take note therefore that it is our clients’ firm instruction that in the event that you fail, refuse and/or neglect to accede to or proffer reasonable compensatory terms to our above modest demands within seven days from the date of this letter, we shall without any further correspondences from us, take appropriate legal steps to enforce our clients’ constitutional rights,” he said.
Gbajabiamila said he has handed over the aide to the DSS for discipline.
He has also visited the family of the deceased to condole with them.
Lekki Shootings: CNN is Desperate, Presented Doctored Video – Lai Mohammed
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed, has accused CNN of desperation over its second report on the Lekki toll plaza shootings that happened on October 20.
The Minister said this on NTA on Wednesday.
CNN had on Tuesday released a second ‘investigative report’ on the shootings at Lekki toll plaza during the #EndSARS protests amid threats of sanction from the Federal Government.
But the minister faulted CNN’s reports, saying it lacked credible sources.
When asked about the second CNN’s report, Mohammed said, “It shows that they (CNN) are desperate. The so-called recent development has been seen before. There is nothing new. If there is anything new, it is a contradiction of CNN’s position.
“What we are asking CNN is that where is your evidence? The military has been consistent. CNN contravenes the basic principles of journalism – fairness, and balance.
‘They did the story without contacting the Federal Government for its own side. They relied on second and third parties narratives.
“They (CNN) were caught spreading fake news and they are trying to escape.
“We are accusing them (CNN) of basing their stories on videos sourced on social media. CNN has been inconsistent. It also doctored the video it got.
“We are confident in our position.”
On the letter addressed to Jonathan Hawkins, VP (Communications), CNN Centre, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, the minister said, “We have received an acknowledgment and we were told that the letter has been passed to the editorial team.”
CNN, in its second report titled, ‘Analysis of CCTV footage from Lekki toll gate raises new questions about shooting’, stated that it had obtained the video and subsequently analysed its content.
CNN also compared the CCTV footage with some of the videos on social media which the National Broadcasting Commission had sanctioned three local television stations for using and concluded that the authorities had more questions to answer.
The fresh report also shows the Commander, 81 Division, Brig.Gen Ahmed Taiwo, admitting before the judicial panel that his men indeed took live ammunition to the tollgate.
The CNN report also highlights the fact that Brig.Gen Taiwo’s claim is at variance with that of the minister who had claimed last week that the army fired blank bullets.