Connect with us

Headlines

JAMB Withdraws Results of 13 Candidates, Withholds 93 Others over Alleged Malpractice

Published

on

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has again announced the withdrawal of results of additional 13 candidates who were alleged to have been involved in examination malpractices during this year’s yet-to-be-concluded Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

The examination body, which had earlier on Tuesday, announced the withdrawal of a candidate’s result over allegation of impersonation, also announced that 93 candidates’ results have been withheld pending the conclusion of an ongoing probe.

In its second statement on the matter on Tuesday, JAMB said; “The decision followed the consideration and further approval of the recommendations of the investigators by the board’s management at a management meeting held on Tuesday, 27th July 2021.”

The statement, which was signed by the head of public affairs and protocol, Fabian Benjamin, however, noted that the results of 14,620 other candidates who were hitherto under investigation have been cleared and released.

List of affected candidates

The examination body listed the additional 13 candidates whose results were withdrawn to include; Gabriel Micheal, Lawson Ruth Joy, Sadiq Mahbub Auwal, Tambaya Yahaya, Anowa Anointing, Ogbonna Joseph Dibia, and Ani Maryrose AdaLoki (Loik Ayomiposi Precious).

Others according to the statement are Ekeocha Chinecherem Michael, Oluwarotimi Toluwanimi Ayanfeoluwa, Edu Teslim Abiola, Simon Friday Promise and Onyeama Odi.

However, unlike its earlier announcement which contained details of the alleged candidate- Attama Lawrence Ikedichukwu, the latest announcement gave no insight into the specifics of the alleged infringements committed by the accused and where they sat the examinations.

The statement simply said; “You will recall that the Board, in its earlier release, stated it would still review the results of the 2021 UTME exercise and any candidate found wanting would have his/her result withheld. Out of the withheld results, thirteen were discovered to have been involved in examination infractions after they were released and the one withdrew bringing the total of the results that have been withdrawn to fourteen.”

Blind candidates’ results released

The examination body, in its statement, said the results of the blind candidates who sat its examination between June 30 and Jul 1, 2021, have been released.

“In a similar vein, the results of the 332 blind candidates whose examination was conducted this month have also been released,” the statement added.

However, JAMB did not give reasons while 332 candidates’ results were released out of the 335 that registered to take part in the examination.

Earlier, the chairman of JAMB Equal Opportunity Group, the body in charge of the conduct of the examination for the blind candidates, Peter Okebukola, said the examination was scheduled to hold simultaneously across the 11 centres.

Mr Okebukola, a professor of science education, spoke with PREMIUM TIMES on June 30 at the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Akoka, venue for the candidates from Lagos and Ogun States.

He listed other cities hosting the remaining other centres like the Federal Capital Territory, Ado-Ekiti, Bauchi, Benin, Enugu, Jos, Kano, Kebbi, Oyo and Yola.

Premium Times

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Electoral Act: Supreme Court Strikes Out Buhari’s Suit Against NASS

Published

on

The Supreme Court, on Friday, struck out a suit filed against the National Assembly by President Muhammadu Buhari challenging the legality of the controversial section 84 (12) of the Electoral Act 2022.

The Apex Court held that Buhari, having assented to the Electoral Bill on February 25, 2022, has no power to turn around to challenge the legality of the Electoral Act.

The Supreme Court, in a judgment prepared and delivered by Justice Emmanuel Agim, declared the action of Buhari in instituting the case as a gross abuse of court.

The Apex Court said the President by the suit sought to approbate and reprobate at the same time and that such must not be allowed.

Besides, the court held that Buhari has no power under any law to dictate to the National Assembly on law-making.

The unanimous verdict held that Buhari, having participated in the making of the Electoral Act by his assent, lacked Constitutional powers to come up to challenge same.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Lawyer Protests Hijab Ruling, Appears at Supreme Court Dressed in Native Doctor’s Attire

Published

on

A human rights lawyer, Malcolm Omoirhobo, on Thursday, caused a stir due to his mode of dressing at the Supreme Court in Abuja.

Photos circulated on social media showed Omoirhobo dressed in a lawyer’s robe mixed with other materials that made him look like an African native doctor.

The lawyer had a gourd with cowries around his neck and a feather on his wig.

According to him, he wore the attire to show gratitude to the Supreme Court which had, on Friday, June 17, 2022, granted the use of hijab by female Muslim students in government-owned schools in Lagos.

Addressing journalists, Omoirhobo said, “I am very grateful to the Supreme Court. Just last week Friday, they made a very resounding decision that promotes Section 38 of the constitution. That is our right to freedom of thought, conscience, and religion.

“That we are free to express our way of worship in our schools and in our courts. That decision was reached on Friday and that has encouraged me.

“Because I am a traditionalist and this is the way I worship. Based on the decision of the Supreme Court, this is how I will be dressing henceforth in court because I am a strong adherent to ‘Olokun’, the god of rivers.”

Reacting, a Professor of Linguistics at the University of Ibadan, Francis Egbokhare, told The PUNCH that the lawyer’s action exposed the ridiculousness that is sometimes associated with law.

He said, “I believe this is just basically sarcasm, as far as I’m concerned, bringing to our attention the ridiculousness sometimes of law when you stretch it out to such an extent.

“For instance, if dress code does not matter, or if you are to modify a dress code, the question is what are the boundaries or limitations, and where do you draw the line?”

Advising the lawyer, Egobkare said, “I think it will be a good thing for him to test it further because this is a comic relief so far. Until he brings it up through the legal process, it may not have any impact beyond just giving us something to laugh about.”

The Punch

Continue Reading

Headlines

UK Police Arrest Ekweremadu, Wife for Alleged Plan to Harvest Child’s Organs

Published

on

The United Kingdom Metropolitan Police have formally charged two Nigerians with conspiracy to facilitate the travel of another person for organ harvesting.

The suspects were arrested and charged over their plan to bring a child into the country to allegedly harvest the said child’s organs.

The two arrested suspects were identified as Beatrice Nwanneka Ekweremadu, 55, and Ike Ekweremadu, 60, from Nigeria.

The suspects who have been remanded in custody will appear at Uxbridge magistrates court later on Thursday.

They are charged with conspiracy to harvest organs, The Guardian UK reports.

According to the report, the charges involve arranging or facilitating travel of another person with a view to exploitation, namely organ harvesting, the Met said in a statement.

The child involved has been safeguarded, according to the Met.

The investigation was launched after detectives were alerted to potential offences under modern slavery legislation in May 2022, the force said.

Continue Reading