The High Court of the Federal Capital Territory in Jabi, Abuja on Wednesday, ordered the arrest of the immediate-past Attorney-General of the Federation, Mr. Mohammed Adoke, a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Dan Etete, and four others.
The six are named in the charges filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission in relation to the $2.1bn Malabu Oil scam.
Others affected by the court’s arrest warrant issued on Wednesday are: Raph Wezels, Casula Roberto, Pujato Stefeno, Burrato Sebastino and Aliyu Abubakar.
Justice Danladi Senchi issued the arrest warrant against the suspects following an ex parte application by the EFCC.
Moving the application on Wednesday, the commission through its lawyer, Mr Aliyu Yusuf, informed the judge that it needed the arrest warrant to enable it to apprehend the suspects and bring them before the court for arraignment on the charges instituted against them since 2016.
Yusuf noted that apart from the charges pending in court, there were other two sets pending against them before the Federal High Court in Abuja.
According to the EFCC, the charges bordered on fraudulent allocation of the Oil Prospecting Licence 245 and money laundering involving the sum of about $1.2bn, forgery of bank documents, bribery and corruption.
The alleged $1.2bn scam involved the transfer of the OPL 245 purportedly from Malabu Oil and Gas Limited to Shell Nigeria Exploration Production Co. Limited and Nigeria Agip Exploration Limited.
The three companies are defendants in the charges pending before the Federal High Court in Abuja.
An operative of the EFCC, Mr. Ahmed Ibrahim, stated in an affidavit filed along with the anti-graft agency’s ex parte application had stated that the issuance of an arrest warrant against the defendants would enable them to liaise with International Police Organisation to ensure their arrest.
The affidavit stated, “That arraignment of the defendants in this case couldn’t take place because the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th defendants/respondents are at large and have refused to make themselves available.
“That all efforts to apprehend the fleeing defendants/respondents proved abortive.
“That in furtherance of efforts to apprehend the 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th defendants/respondents, the EFCC contacted the Nigeria Police to assist in watch-listing them and facilitating their arrest.
“That the Nigeria Police in response requested detailed particulars and necessary process to enable them to liaise with INTERPOL, and other relevant sister organisations have insisted that in addition to having a pending charge before a competent court, there must be warrant of arrest to enable the organisations to apprehend the defendants.
“That granting this application will facilitate the required liaison with INTERPOL and ensure that the defendants/respondents are apprehended and produced before the court for their arraignment on the charges filed against them.”
COVID-19: Nigeria Reports 64 New Cases, Total 1,337
Nigeria’s tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases rose to 1,337 on Monday, from 1, 273 reported on Sunday evening by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).
The agency in a tweet Monday night said 64 new cases were reported in five states. These are Lagos, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Borno, Taraba and Gombe.
It is the second day the number of confirmed cases would fall in the country.
Also, additional 16 people recovered from the disease were discharged on Monday.
The figure was released hours after President Muhammadu Buhari addressed the country on the new measures the government intends to adopt in containing the spread of the virus.
A breakdown of the latest update shows that 34 of the new cases were reported in Lagos, 15 in FCT, Borno – 11, while Taraba and Gombe have two apiece.
Lagos remains the epicentre for the outbreak in Nigeria.
NCDC said one case previously reported as a Lagos State case, is now reported as an FCT case. The total number of confirmed cases in Lagos is now at 764 and there are 157 in Abuja, the FCT.
Kano State has not reported any case in the past five days as testing was was discontinued there last week.
On Thursday, the health minister, Osagie Ehanire, said the Kano centre was temporarily closed because some staff of the laboratory were infected with COVID-19. He also comfirmed the centre ran short of some testing reagents.
The NCDC said as of 11:30 pm. April 27, there were 1,337 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Nigeria. Of these, 255 infected people have recovered and have been discharged and 40 deaths have been recorded in 32 states and the FCT.
A breakdown of all the cases shows that Lagos State has so far reported 764 cases, followed by FCT – 157, Kano – 77, Borno – 41, Gombe – 37, Ogun – 35, Osun – 34, Katsina – 30, Edo – 25, Oyo -21, Kaduna – 15, Akwa Ibom – 12, Bauchi – 14, Kwara – 11, Sokoto – 10, Ekiti, Taraba and Ondo – 8, Delta – 6, Rivers – 6, Jigawa – 2, Enugu – 2, Niger – 2, Abia – 2, Zamfara – 2,. Benue, Anambra, Adamawa, Plateau, Bayelsa, Ebonyi, Kebbi and Imo have one case each.
Nigeria’s Coronavirus Tally Hits 627 With Additional 86 Cases
Nigeria, on Sunday, recorded 86 new cases of coronavirus, its largest daily figure since the outbreak in February. With the newest update, the total tally of infected people in the country rose to 627 from 541 reported on Saturday evening.
The public health agency in a tweet late Sunday night said that new cases were reported in seven states. These are Lagos, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Katsina, Akwa Ibom, Jigawa, Bauchi and Borno states.
Two states, Jigawa and Borno, reported their first cases of the infection on Sunday.
Also, Lagos State reported its highest daily figure of confirmed cases since the index case was reported in February.
A breakdown of the newest update shows that 70 of the new cases were reported from Lagos, seven in the FCT, three each in Katsina and Akwa Ibom, and one each in Jigawa, Borno and Bauchi.
NCDC said as of 11:50 p.m. on April 19, there were 627 confirmed cases of COVID-19 reported in Nigeria. Of these, 170 infected people have recovered and have been discharged while the death toll rose to 21 from 19 reported on Saturday.
A breakdown of all the cases shows that Lagos State has so far reported 376 cases, followed by FCT – 88, Kano – 36, Osun – 20, Oyo – 16, Edo – 15, Ogun and Katsina, 12 cases each, while Kwara and Akwa Ibom have recorded nine cases each.
Bauchi has 7 cases, Kaduna – 6, Delta, Ondo and Ekiti, 3 cases each, Enugu, Rivers, Niger and Jigawa have two cases each, while Benue, Anambra and Borno have recorded one apiece.
A total of 21 states and the FCT have so far reported at least a case of the disease.
Meanwhile, NCDC earlier tweeted that it made a mistake in the compilation of cases reported from Ekiti State.
The agency said as of Saturday, there were three cases in the state and not four as reported.
Correcting the error, it said “yesterday , we erroneously reported one new case in Ekiti. This was wrong and was caused by an error in the verification process.”
Therefore, as of April 18, 2020, there were 541 confirmed cases, 166 discharged and 19 deaths.
Ekiti State has three confirmed cases, so far, not 4, the agency said.
The agency also apologised to the government of Ekiti State for the error.
“We remain committed to improving our quality control processes, to ensure accurate and transparent reporting of cases,” it stated.
COVID-19 is primarily spread through droplets generated when an infected person coughs, sneezes or speaks.
As such, it is important to keep a distance of two metres away from people because those infected by the virus can not be detected without a test.
Just In: English Premier League Suspended Till April 4 over Coronavirus
The English Football League has been suspended following positive results for Coronavirus from Arsenal coach, Mikel Arteta and Chelsea’s Callum…
FULL PREM STATEMENT
Premier League football has been postponed until April 4.
The League announced the news this morning with an official statement that read: “Following a meeting of Shareholders today, it was unanimously decided to suspend the Premier League with the intention of returning on 4 April, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time.
“Premier League Chief Executive Richard Masters said: ‘Above all, we wish Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi speedy recoveries, and everyone else affected by COVID-19.
“’In this unprecedented situation, we are working closely with our clubs, Government, The FA and EFL and can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority.’
“Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League’s aim to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by Academy sides, when it is safe to do so.
“In this fast-moving environment, further updates will be provided when appropriate.”