The Federal High Court in Lagos, on Monday, granted N10m bail to a naval captain, Dada Labinjo, who was said to have been in an underground detention centre for over a year.
Justice Muslim Hassan ordered Labinjo to produce one surety, who must own a landed property in Lagos, and must show evidence of three years’ tax payment.
However, the judge ordered that Labinjo should be released to his lawyer, Jerry Omoregie, pending when he would meet the bail conditions within 15 days.
The lawyer was directed to submit his Certificate of Call to Bar to the court’s registrar as a guarantee that he would produce his client for trial.
The bail followed Labinjo’s arraignment alongside others on two counts of dealing in petroleum products without lawful authority.
Among the other defendants was Labinjo’s wife, Bola, a Lieutenant Commander in the navy.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission told the court that the defendants conspired among themselves between August and October 2018 to deal in Automative Gas Oil (diesel) without an appropriate licence.
According to the EFCC, the defendants committed the offences “within the Nigerian maritime domain and the Gulf of Guinea.”
The prosecution said they acted contrary to sections 3 (6) and 1 (19) (a) (b) of the Miscellaneous Offences Act, Cap. M17, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria (revised edition), 2004, and were liable to be punished under Section 1(17) of the same Act.
But the defendants pleaded not guilty to the charges.
The other defendants were admitted to bail on terms similar to Labinjo’s.
Hate Speech Bill is Dead, Says Bishop Oyedepo
The Presiding Bishop of Living Faith Church Worldwide, Bishop David Oyedepo, has said the controversial hate speech bill being considered by the Senate is dead.
Oyedepo said the sponsor of the bill did not propose death penalty for killers of innocent people in the country but was targeting those who might criticise the government with the bill.
He spoke on Tuesday night at the opening ceremony of Shiloh 2019, an annual event of the church which entered the 21st edition.
Oyedepo said nobody could gag him because he is a prophet and he is only answerable to God.
He said, “Hate speech is one of the craziest ideas. You want to hang somebody for telling you the truth. The roads are bad and you say that is hate speech.
“You can silence everybody but not a prophet. A prophet is answerable only to God. What God tells him to say, he says.
“Are we going forward or backward as a nation? Are the roads better now than before? So, why are you not talking?
“I don’t know if anybody loves this country more than I do. I love this nation with passion. I called for a prayer and fast for God’s intervention to keep this nation at peace in 1979. That was the first time I did that.”
The bishop said no matter who was backing the killers on the rampage in the country, they would not escape the wrath of God.
According to him, killings and corruption which should be tackled with all seriousness are not considered to be problems by those behind the bill.
“Let hands be joined together, the wicked will not go unpunished. They are not hanging killers, they want to hang those talking.
“Anyway, that ( the bill) is dead already. If the wicked will not stop his wickedness, God will stop the wickedness of the wicked.”
It was announced that over 6,000 delegates from 35 nations were registered to be part of the programme as at Sunday, saying many more were being expected to participate in the event which would end on Saturday.
Ghana recorded the highest number of delegates so far with over 4,000 worshipers already at the Canaanland while delegates had arrived from Australia, the UAE, Togo, the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom.
The bishop said while so many Nigerians were seeking to travel out of the country, the Church of Christ was populating the country bringing people from many nations to Nigeria.
Sokoto Gov Begins Distribution of N4bn Micro-Business Incentive Fund to SME Operators
The Sokoto State Governor Alhaji Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, has flagged off the disbursement of N4 billion micro business incentive fund for the state small and medium scale business operators.
The exercise, which will come in stages, will be sustained for the next four years, according to the governor.
Governor Tambuwal made the pronouncement at Balle and Tureta, in Gudu and Tureta local government areas respectively where the state’s Micro Business Incentive Fund (SMBIF) was flagged off.
Speaking at the centres, where N20, 000 grant each was distributed to 1000 persons, Tambuwal vowed that the fund will get to the remaining 21 local government areas in the state.
The governor informed that the gesture is aimed at assisting the less privileged persons and small scale entrepreneurs in the state, towards improving their businesses.
He explained that the distribution will not be discriminatory as both males and females will benefit from the programme in equal measure.
The governor urged the beneficiaries to use the money judiciously.
“This is just the beginning. As we have started here today, I assure you that it will surely get to the other remaining 21 local government areas. We will not discriminate in the disbursement and enjoin all beneficiaries to make judicious use of the grant for the good of self, family and society,” Tambuwal said.
In his remarks, the state’s Deputy Governor, Alhaji Manir Muhammad Dan Iya, said the beneficiaries were selected from all the 23 local government areas in the state as directed by the governor.
Alhaji Dan Iya thanked the governor for giving the cabinet members the opportunity to serve and execute various developmental projects across the 23 local government areas in the state.
Participants at the events were full of praises and thanked Governor Tambuwal for starting the scheme in their towns.
LASTMA Officer’s Killers Will Face the Law – Sanwo-Olu Vows
The Lagos State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has vowed that harsh punishment awaits anyone who attacks men of the state’s law enforcement agencies in the line of duty.
He expressed displeasure with the killing of an official of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority, Ganiyu Oyeshina, who was attacked by two trailer drivers in the Sifax-Iganmu area of Apapa.
The 34-year-old Osun State indigene died on Saturday from injuries he sustained during the attack.
The governor, while describing the attack as “mindless and callous,” said it was a wake-up call to all Lagosians.
Sanwo-Olu spoke on Monday during his condolence visit to the family of the deceased in company with members of the State Executive Council.
While commiserating with the family, he said government would not sit and watch motorists or anyone wilfully break the laws or inflict injuries on state officials.
The governor said, “In the last 48 hours, we have had heavy brutality on men of LASTMA who were doing their work. We have had people whose legs were amputated in the last 48 hours while on the assignment that was given to them to bring about enforcement of our laws and order.
“I think this is the level at which we need to make this very stern warning that we will not stop at ensuring that we implement and enforce our laws, not minding which force is involved.
“We cannot be condoning reckless killing and sending our young men to early grave. This government certainly will not stand for that.”
The governor vowed that Oyeshina’s killers would face the law.