Connect with us

Headlines

Nigeria Hits Highest Daily COVID-19 Figure Ever with 389 Cases

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Wednesday announced 389 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the country, bringing the new tally of confirmed infections in the country to 8,733.

The update on Wednesday is the highest daily figure so far reported since the beginning of the outbreak in the country. Also, Kogi State recorded its first cases of the disease. This implies that 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) have now reported at least a case of the disease. Only one state in the country, Cross River, is yet to record any case.

There was a decline in the number of deaths recorded on Wednesday as five deaths were recorded from the virus bringing the total number of confirmed deaths from the virus to 254.

The health agency in a late tweet on Wednesday said the 389 new cases were reported in 22 states. These are Lagos, Katsina, Edo, Rivers, Kano, Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Kaduna, Kwara, Nasarawa, Gombe, Plateau, Abia, Delta, Benue, Niger, Kogi, Oyo, Imo, Borno, Ogun and Anambra.

The number of reported cases in Lagos, the epicenter of the outbreak in Nigeria, was also the highest daily figure.

“Till date, 8,733 cases have been confirmed, 2,501 cases have been discharged and 254 deaths have been recorded in 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory,” it said.

The 389 new cases are reported from 15 states:

Lagos – 256, Katsina – 23, Edo – 22, Rivers -14, Kano – 13, Adamawa – 11, Akwa Ibom – 11, Kaduna – 7, Kwara – 6, Nasarawa – 6, Gombe – 2, Plateau – 2, Abia – 2, Delta – 2, Benue – 2, Niger – 2, Kogi – 2, Oyo – 2, Imo – 1, Borno -1, Ogun – 1 and Anambra – 1

BREAKDOWN

A breakdown of the 8, 733 confirmed cases shows that Lagos State has so far reported 4, 012 cases, followed by Kano – 936, FCT – 519, Katsina – 358, Borno – 257, Oyo – 252, Ogun – 242, Jigawa – 241, Edo – 240, Bauchi – 233, Kaduna – 215, Rivers – 171, Gombe – 152, Sokoto – 116, Plateau – 97, Kwara – 85, Zamfara – 76, Nasarawa – 62, Delta – 51, Yobe – 47, Osun – 44, Adamawa – 38, Ebonyi – 36, Akwa Ibom – 35, Imo – 34, Kebbi – 32, Niger – 30, Ondo – 24, Ekiti – 20, Enugu – 18, Taraba – 18, Bayelsa – 12, Anambra – 11, Abia – 10, Benue – 7 and Kogi – 2.

While new cases continue to increase, NCDC has cautioned older people and those with pre-existing medical conditions such as diabetes and cancer, to observe all the necessary precautionary measures as they are at a higher risk of complications from COVID-19.

It also advised Nigerians to ensure proper hand hygiene, physical distancing and wearing a mask especially around vulnerable groups.

The agency said it is also working very hard to support states in setting up treatment centres and training health workers to manage COVID-19 patients to recovery.

“We commend colleagues making tremendous sacrifices and working around the clock to save lives and control the pandemic,” it said.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organisation has said the best way to ensure cases of COVID-19 are on a downward trajectory is to put strong testing, disease surveillance and public health measures in place.

Premium Times

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Mailafia Accuses Those Who Wanted Jonathan Out of Sponsoring Bandits

Published

on

A former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Dr Obadiah Mailafia, says many of the bandits terrorising the country were sponsored by persons who wanted to push former President Goodluck Jonathan out of power at all cost.

Mailafia said this during an interview with The PUNCH on Thursday.

He said, “During the 2015 elections they brought in thousands of foreigners into this country, armed them because it was a case of if Goodluck Jonathan doesn’t surrender, there will be war. They were ready for civil war; they were not ready for peace.

“Of course, Jonathan handed over to them and then they turned their backs on the hoodlums and the hoodlums said ‘look, you brought us here and we are still here’.”

Mailafia, who was the Presidential candidate of the African Democratic Congress in the last election, said he was also convinced that some foreign powers were behind the bandits.

“There are certain world powers that want to destroy our country. That is what I believe. There was a container load of weapons that were brought in from Turkey. Another time some were brought in from Iran. But nobody probed further and everything was swept under the carpet and that was the end of it,” he said.

The former CBN deputy governor, who was last year invited by the Department of State Services and the police for saying that an unnamed northern governor was a Boko Haram commander, said the fact that other people have come out to say far worse but have not been invited, shows that he was unfairly targeted.

“My name is Mailafia and I am always for peace. I want peace in this country because I know without peace there can be no development but I think the people in government have to be objective and treat us equally. Someone says one thing and they go after him. Others say worse things and they are treated with kid gloves,” he said.

The former CBN deputy governor also disagreed with the approach of Sheikh Ahmad Gumi on the issue of amnesty for bandits.
Mailafia said it was wrong to offer such hoodlums amnesty and then make no provision for the victims, adding that they have no agenda other than to destroy.

He argued that appeasing the bandits would never work even as he said the Niger Delta militancy and the banditry ravaging the country are two different things.

“I do not believe that the Niger Delta militancy can be compared to the terrorists. These people (terrorists) are not even bandits. A bandit is a common thief or a brigand. The ‘agbero’ are bandits. These people carrying sophisticated weapons and rockets are not bandits. They are terrorists.

“They have killed, they have maimed, they have raped and they have wreaked havoc,” Mailafia said.

The Punch

Continue Reading

Headlines

Zamfara Confirms Abduction, Says Security Operatives, Vigilantes in Pursuit of Abductors

Published

on

The Zamfara State Government has confirmed the abduction of female students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in the Talata-Mafara Local Government Area of the state.

The confirmation was made by the Commissioner of Security and Home Affairs, Alhaji Abubakar Dauran in a brief interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Gusau on Friday.

The abductors in their hundreds invaded the town and took away the students about 2 am.

“I can confirm to you now that we have sadly received the report on the abduction of the students of GGSS Jangebe and right now, I am on my way to the school.

“At this moment, l cannot say how many students were taken away by the gunmen until l get there, but we have already mobilized security men and members of the vigilantatè who are now in pursuit of the abductors,” the commissioner stated.

A staff of the school who spoke to NAN on condition of anonymity said, “The gunmen in their hundreds invaded the town around 2 am on Friday, shot sporadically in the air to scare the residents before coming into the school.

“After taking away most of the students, we rounded up those that escaped or hid from the bandits and conducted a census where we counted 54 students and we are still searching to see if we can get more.”

Also, a resident who gave his name as Haliru Jangebe said the local vigilantes had tried to repel the invaders but were overpowered.

“The bandits were too many and they all seemed to be carrying heavy arms as we heard gunshots from all parts of the town and when the shots stopped, we heard that the students had been taken away.”

(NAN)

Continue Reading

Headlines

I’ve Given My Life to Christ, Metuh Says After EFCC Ordeal

Published

on

In a brief speech, former spokesperson of the Peoples Democratic Party PDP, Olisa Metuh, has said that he has given his life to Christ, and to the service of God for the rest of his life, following his survival after his months of incarceration by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The former National Publicity Secretary spoke when some PDP faithful received him at the party secretariat in Awka on Wednesday.

He said:

“Since I returned from EFCC custody, I have given my life to Christ

“I have been to the lowest, deepest end of the valley. I have wrestled with the demons.

“I wrestled with the devils. The Almighty God has saved me. For that, I commit the rest of my life to the service of God and the people.

“It is not easy. It is just like being in your house and an armed robber comes to your house, takes away all your earnings, beats you up, violates your wife, deals with your children and you can’t do anything because he has the gun.

“When we have power, we should know how to use it because there is God in heaven. At the end of the day, all of us will die.”

Continue Reading