Connect with us

Metro

Police Begin Probe As Eight Lagos Children Die in Locked SUV

Published

on

The families of eight minors have been thrown into mourning after their corpses were recovered from a Honda Sport Utility Vehicle parked on Adelayo Street, in the Jah-Michael area, Badagry Expressway, Lagos State.

PUNCH Metro gathered that the vehicle was parked in front of a house where the victims entered it.

The kids were said to be playing inside the SUV when they mistakenly locked themselves in as efforts to unlock the door proved abortive.

It was learnt that a parent, while searching for the children, found their remains inside the vehicle.

The parent was said to have raised the alarm, attracting other parents and residents.

A video clip recorded shortly after the victims’ corpses were recovered from the vehicle, showed their remains lying motionless on the floor.

As residents lamented the tragic incident, which happened on Saturday, December 4, 2021, they called for an investigation to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the death of the children.

The victims were identified as Mamod, Aisha, Zainab, Farida, Yakubu, Tayab, Wahab and one other.

The state Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Adekunle Ajisebutu, in a statement on Sunday, said the state Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, had ordered a probe into the incident, adding that the corpses had been deposited in a morgue.

He said, “The eight children while playing were said to have mistakenly locked themselves in an abandoned car. Their bodies have been recovered and deposited in the Badagry General Hospital’s morgue for autopsies in order to determine the actual cause of death.

“Notwithstanding the report made to the police, the Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, has ordered a thorough and speedy investigation into the circumstances surrounding their death. The CP also commiserates with the families of the victims.”

However, a consultant family physician at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, Dr Oluwajimi Sodipo, said it might take between six and eight hours for the children to die from asphyxiation or excessive heat.

He noted that an autopsy, including a toxicology test, should be conducted on the victims to ascertain the cause of death.

Sodipo said, “There are many determinants to the loss of oxygen in the vehicle. The number of children in the vehicle; because apart from the oxygen that will come in, the longer they stay inside the vehicle, they will also be providing carbon dioxide, which will be building up over time. So, the more people they are, the more that will build up, and of course, it could cause that.

“Another factor is that it is also dependent on what time the incident happened. One assumption is that they might have died from asphyxiation; another possibility is that if there is a lot of heat as the weather is hot right now and we don’t know what time the incident occurred, if they were trapped in the vehicle for a long time, there is a possibility of complications from excessive heat.

“Like heatstroke, dehydration, and all that can occur. But on a rough estimate, I will assume that at least it will take more than six to eight hours for all of them to have died within the vehicle, but that is also dependent on a number of factors.”

Sodipo, while urging parents and guardians to monitor their children closely, advised that the child protection services in the country should be strengthened.

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Coup: ECOWAS Suspends Burkina Faso

Published

on

The West African bloc Economic Community of West African States has suspended Burkina Faso from its governing board on Friday.

This is coming as an aftermath of mutinous soldiers who forced democratically elected President Roch Marc Christian Kabore to resign.

This makes Burkina Faso the third member nation after Mali and Guinea to be punished for a military takeover in only 18 months.

On Monday, the soldiers went on state television to announce their military takeover of the country, which they said was under siege from armed groups. The military rulers said Kabore failed to stop the violence that led to the death of thousands of their citizens.

At the meeting where African leaders met virtually on Friday to discuss the Burkina Faso coup, it was stated that a delegation was expected to travel to the Burkinabe capital, Ouagadougou, in the coming days.

Ghanaian President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, the current ECOWAS chairman, called the recent spate of coups in West Africa “a direct violation of our democratic tenets. The rest of the world is looking up to us to be firm on this matter.”

The leaders are scheduled to meet next on February 3 in Accra, Ghana.

Continue Reading

Metro

Akeredolu Appoints Amotekun Commander, Adeleye, As Special Adviser on Security Matters

Published

on

Ondo State Governor, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu SAN, has approved the appointment of Chief Adetunji Adeleye as Special Adviser on Security Matters.

A statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Richard Olatunde, noted that the appointment takes immediate effect.

Chief Adeleye, who until the new appointment, was the Commander of the Ondo State Security Network (Amotekun Corps), will however, continue to function in that capacity.

The appointment, the statement noted, is part of the efforts of the Governor Akeredolu to further strengthen the security arrangements of the state, and improve the working relationship between government and security agencies in the state.

While congratulating the new appointee, Akeredolu charged him to double efforts in the fight against crime and criminal elements in the state.

Continue Reading

Metro

Olashore School Inaugurates Panel As Ex-Student Accuses Management of Complicity, Cover-Up

Published

on

The Trustees of Olashore International School Association – Proprietor of Olashore International School (OIS), a private co-educational boarding secondary school in Iloko-Ijesha, Osun State, has inaugurated a Five-member panel of inquiry into an alleged sexual assault claim by an ex-student of Olashore International School Obiamaka Azubuike.

Ms. Azubuike had in December 2021 via a social media post alleged that she was 18 years ago sexually assaulted by 13 of her fellow students in the school. Azubuike who was a student of the school between September 1998 and July 2004 also in her allegation claimed that the school tried to cover up the incident when the case was reported to the school’s management and striped her of her prefectship.

The Five-man panel of inquiry is composed of the following members:
1)Justice Olusola Williams Rtd – Retired Judge of the Lagos High Court and serves on the Board of Mirabel Centre – Chairperson
2)Dr Alero Roberts – Lecturer, Public Health Consultant and serves on the Board of Corona Trust Council
3)Mrs Adeyinka Adefope – Educationist and Safeguarding Consultant
4)Dr Sade Olajubu – Forensic Psychiatrist
5) Mr Ebuka Ekeanyanwu – Legal Practitioner

The ex-student in her claims among other reliefs is demanding that;
• The school makes a publicly apology to her in print and on social media.

• Reinstate the records to show that she was a school prefect in the school and also grant a zoom ceremony where she will be awarded the honors she allegedly earned.

According to a statement issued by Mrs Olapeju Sofowora, Chairperson, Olashore International School Association, the panel which was inaugurated by the Association’s Board of Trustees is charged to examine what truly transpired 18 years ago and make recommendations as considered fit.

The panel is expected to commence sitting immediately and conclude their inquiry within 8 weeks.

Continue Reading