Connect with us

Headlines

US Embassy’s Suspension of Drop Box Visa Processing – What It Actually Means

Published

on

By Eric Elezuo

The United States of America Embassy in Nigeria, on Tuesday, suspended the interview waiver application for Nigerian travellers.

In a message on it’s website, the Embassy declared as follows:

“The Embassy and Consulate of the United States in Nigeria has suspended the interview waiver ‘drop box’ application process effective May 14, 2019”.

This means in effect that anyone who has previously been issued a US Visa no longer stand an automatic chance of renewal as regards interview waiver. In other words, the applicant is expected to undergo thorough process of visa issuance as if he us applying for the first time.

According to the CEO, 1860 Travels, Olusina Francis Daudu, this “simply means that all visa categories that had enjoyed interview waiver before now must now attend an interview to secure their visa.”

He added that “Before now, any applicant that had been issued a B1/B2 (Visitor) visa qualified for the interview waiver except they personally choose to attend an interview, in as much as this is sorted within one year after the previous visa expires.

“Those who have been following trends with U.S Immigration, won’t be too surprised about this development. Quite a lot of reforms have been going on since the assumption of the current U.S Government,” he said.

The suspension for now applies to only Nigerian travellers, and no reason has been given for the new regime.

Mr Olusina also stressed that the announcement really changed nothing as the situation has been on before now.

“Consequently, they just legalised an existing phenomenon. It is only those who are no aware of goings on with the U.S. Embassy in Nigeria that will feel surprised” he said.

The  implication, according to industry watchers and practitioners is that the number of Nigerians entering the United States will drastically reduce in relation to the fact that even those who already have visas are denied entry.

The US Embassy has said that it’s action is to provide more effective service and ensure that only legitimate travellers are attended to and granted entry into US soil.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Adeleke Wins As Court Strikes Out Ineligibility Suit

Published

on

Justice Obiora Egwuatu of a Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday struck out a suit seeking nullification of submission of name of Ademola Jackson Nurudeen Adeleke as the governorship candidate of the People’s Democratic Party in the recent July 16 election.

The judge struck down the suit on the ground that the plaintiff lacked locus standi to institute the case.

The plaintiff in the suit, Awoyemi Oluwatayo Lukman had dragged the Independent National Electoral Commission, PDP and Adeleke before the court seeking order to void and set aside the submission of Adeleke’s name to INEC on ground of alleged unlawful action.

The grouse of the plaintiff was that Adeleke’s name was hurriedly submitted by PDP on March 11 as against between March 14 to 18 as contained in the INEC guidelines.

Adeleke’s name having not been submitted within the period fixed by INEC, the plaintiff asked the court to declare the submission, illegal, unlawful, null and void and be set aside.

He claimed that INEC must be bound by its official guidelines and that anything done outside the guidelines is against the provisions of the Electoral Act 2022.

However, in his judgment, Justice Obiora Egwuatu struck out the suit on the ground that the said Awoyemi Oluwatayo Lukman lacked locus standi to have instituted the case.

The Punch

Continue Reading

Headlines

Falconets Beat Canada 3-1, Set to Meet Holland in Quarter Final

Published

on

Nigeria’s U-20 girls, Falconets, set a World Cup group stage perfect record for themselves after beating Canada 3-1 in Alajuela on Thursday morning to finish with a perfect nine points out of nine in Group C.

Head Coach, Chris Musa, said before the encounter that his girls would seek to win even as a quarter-final ticket was already in the bag, in order to sustain their winning mentality following hard-fought victories over France and Korea Republic.

That was exactly what the Falconets did.
Africa’s best team conceded their first goal of the competition in an accidental manner, following goalkeeper Omini Oyono’s poor management of a backpass from Jumoke Alani that granted Kala Novak a fortuitous goal in less than two minutes.

“It was great for us to come back from that setback, and also conceding first in the tournament. We showed character and spirit, and that would be huge for us going forward in the competition,” Musa said after the match.

Midfield impresario Esther Onyenezide, whose vicious curling shot earned all three points against Korea Republic to send the Falconets into the last eight on Monday morning, scored from the penalty spot in the 24th minute to pull the Falconets level. Defender Mia Pante had handled the ball from a Blessing Okpe shot in the box.

The Falconets looked composed and surefooted in the middle with the return of Deborah Abiodun, who sat out the encounter with the Koreans, and Chiamaka Okwuchukwu also played an inspired game after starting for the first time in the tournament. Her firm header from a Blessing Okpe cross in the 15th minute missed narrowly.

Onyenezide shot Nigeria ahead, also from the spot, in the 32nd minute minute, after Simi Awujo’s dangerous play against Mercy Idoko, as the latter went for a header from Rofiat Imuran’s inswinger, was penalised.

In the added time of first period, Idoko came close to scoring her first goal of the tournament, but her touch from another Imuran inswinger kissed the upright.

In the second half, the Falconets added pace and brilliant use of space to their game, and it was no surprise when Imuran, again with a visionary cross, set up substitute Chioma Olise for Nigeria’s third goal.

Their imperial campaign in the group stage earns the Falconets a quarter-final date with the Netherlands in Alajuela as from 1am on Monday (Nigeria time).

Agency Report

Continue Reading

Headlines

Supporters Throng Obasanjo’s Residence As Tinubu Visits Former President

Published

on

Scores of supporters of the All Progressives Congress in Ogun State, Wednesday, stormed the residence of former President, Olusegun Obasanjo, in Abeokuta as the presidential candidate of the APC, Bola Tinubu visited the former President.

Tinubu arrived at the Penthouse of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library, Oke- Mosan, Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital, in his chopper at about 1:09pm in company of some party leaders.

He was received by Governor Dapo Abiodun, former Governor Gbenga Daniel, his predecessor, Segun Osoba, and other Ogun State government functionaries.

They have all gone into a meeting with the president.

The meeting was believed to be in connection with ambition of Tinubu in the coming elections.

Our correspondent reports that the duo had not been seen together since 2015 when he escorted the then APC candidate, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), to Obasanjo’s residence.

He was also at the 78th birthday of the former President held at Abeokuta in March, 2015.

The two of them have since kept their distances as Obasanjo withdrew his support for Buhari and the APC, which he supported to power by tearing his card as a member of the Peoples Democratic Party.

The Punch

Continue Reading