Three students of the Dowen College, Lekki Lagos are currently assisting the police in their investigation into the death of Sylvester Oromoni junior, a 12-year-old student of the college, the Lagos State Commissioner of Police Hakeem Odumosu told Channels Television on Tuesday.
Odumosi said three of the five students mentioned by Sylvester before he died are already in custody and cooperating with the police in their findings.
Although Odumosu did not give the identities of those in custody he insisted that they are key suspects.
The police boss explained that the Command is set to go for the post mortem of the body in Delta state to ascertain the cause of death.
He assured that police authorities in both Lagos and Delta State are keenly interested in the outcome of the investigation to unravel the mystery behind Sylvester’s death.
Meanwhile, the Oromoni family has hired the firm of a foremost human rights lawyer and activist, Femi Falana, to prosecute its case against the institution over the death of their son.
Channels Television on Monday obtained the letter written by Falana to the office of Lagos State’s Chief Coroner, requesting an inquest into the circumstances leading to the death of his client’s child.
The letter was dated December 6, 2021, signed by Taiwo Olawale, and addressed to the chief coroner, High Court of Lagos State.
The story of 12-year-old Sylvester went viral last week after a family member went on social media to demand justice. In a series of Tweets, the family member, with handle @Perrisonoromoni said Sylvester was assaulted by some senior students pf Dowen College. He added that Sylvester died after sustaining multiple internal injuries from being tortured and bullied.
Also, in a video released online by the family member, Oromoni jr was seen writhing in pain. His teeth were stained dark red with blood. His legs were swollen, and his belly was bloated.
The Management of Dowen College in a statement claimed that Sylvester was injured while playing football. In another statement, they assured that they will cooperate with authorities to investigate the incident.
The Lagos State government through its Ministry of Education paid an inquiry visit to the college and announced on Friday that the school be shut down indefinitely.
DHQ Announces Arrest of Two More Suspects of Owo Church Massacre
The Defence Headquarters on Thursday said two additional suspected terrorists linked with the Owo attack have been arrested.
The Chief of Defence Staff , General Lucky Irabor, had during a meeting with media executives and editors on Tuesday announced the arrest of some suspected terrorists including the mastermind of Owo attack.
The PUNCH reports that armed men stormed the St Francis Catholic Church, Owo on 5 June 2022 and killed no fewer than 40 worshippers.
However, in a statement on Thursday, the Director of Defence Information, Major General Jimmy Akpor, said the duo of Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris were arrested at the Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose LGA in Ondo State during a joint operation with the DSS, Police .
The statement was titled , ‘Arrest of two additional suspected terrorists in connection with the Owo Catholic Church on June 5,2022.’
It read, “Recall that the Chief of Defence Staff during his parley with media executives and editors yesterday, Tuesday 9 August 2022, informed of the arrest of 4 terrorists among those who carried out the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo on 5 June 2022.
“They were arrested through a combined operation by military and DSS personnel at Eika, Okehi LGA, Kogi State on 1 August 2022. Those arrested include Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (a.k.a Bin Malik), Momoh Otohu Abubakar, Aliyu Yusuf Itopa and Auwal Ishaq Onimisi.
“Barely few hours after the disclosure by the CDS of the arrest of four of the Owo Catholic Church attackers, two additional ISWAP terrorists, who were also connected to the attack on the church were apprehended at Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose LGA, Ondo State yesterday, August 9 2022.
“The arrests were made through the collaborative effort by military and DSS personnel. The suspects are Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris. ”
He, however, said that Abdulhaleem, alongside other high profile ISWAP commanders, had previously coordinated attacks on military targets in Okene, Okene LGA, Kogi State , which led to the death of many.
How 12-Year-Old Boy Killed Nigerian Mother in US
A 12-year-old Nigerian boy has killed his mother, Ayobiyi Cook, at their home in Forestdale, Alabama, United States.
According to CBS News, the boy “accidentally discharged a firearm” which struck and killed his 29-year-old mom on Monday.
His father, Djuan, a policeman, was said to be at work when the incident happened.
A statement from the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office revealed that the boy had initially lied to detectives about the cause of his mother’s death after cops arrived at the scene some minutes past midnight.
He was reported to have said an intruder broke into the house, shot his mother and fled.
But on further investigation of the killing, he reportedly admitted to killing his mother.
The statement read in part, “The child originally fabricated a story that detectives determined was not possible; the child eventually gave a true account of what happened
“The boy’s family, who he will remain with, has been cooperative. The case will be addressed through the family court system.”
A prior statement by the Jefferson County deputies stated that there had been no forced entry into the home when they arrived at the scene.
It read, “On Saturday, August 6, 2022, at 12:10am, Jefferson County Deputies received a 911 call for help at a residence in the 2400 block of Freemont Avenue in the Forestdale community. Deputies arrived and found a 29-year-old woman deceased on the scene. There appeared to be no forced entry into the home and a man was seen fleeing from the residence shortly before the 911 call was made. Sheriff’s detectives were able to recover evidence on the scene and are continuing to investigate.”
The deceased’s husband, Djuan, in a Facebook post, said Ayobiyi was known as “Yo” or “YoYo.
He wrote, “The funeral arrangements would be held on August 12. Orange was Yo’s favourite colour so feel free to wear it as we celebrate her life.”
Ihedioha Denies Making Statement Against Igbo, Peter Obi
A former governor of Imo State, Emeka Ihedioha, has denied talking down on the presidential candidate of Labour Party, Peter Obi.
Some reports had on Monday claimed that Ihedioha had called Obi ‘crafty’, and had asked Igbos to wait till 2031 for Presidency.
However, a statement by Ihedioha’s media aide, Chibuike Onyeukwu, had asked the public to disregard the statement, adding that it was fake news.
The statement dated August 8, 2022 was titled, ‘RE – 2023: Igbos Should Wait Till 2031, Peter Obi is Crafty’.
It read, “Our attention has been drawn to another fake news, with the above caption, circulated in some social media platforms.
“This is one of the many orchestrated efforts by political opponents of His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha CON and their collaborators who are afraid of squaring up against him in the coming elections.
“It is noteworthy that His Excellency did not grant any interview in Abuja or elsewhere as claimed.
“His Excellency is known to acquit himself in the most civil, decent and respectful manner and therefore could not have employed such uncouth words.
“We are aware that the purveyors of these unfounded reports are unrelenting in their desperation to impugn His Excellency’s integrity and reputation.
“The public, therefore, is alerted and indeed advised to kindly ignore and disregard the fake news.”