Connect with us

Headlines

We Killed 11 Soldiers in Borno, ISIS Claims

Published

on

The world’s deadliest terror group, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, has claimed responsibility for the attack on soldiers in Borno State last week which took the lives of 11 soldiers, Reutersreports.

ISIS said its men were responsible for the Friday attack of Gajiganna town through its news agency AMAQ.

The terrorist network on Saturday published pictures of burnt barracks and dead bodies it claimed belonged to the soldiers.

Three sources, including one hospital source, confirmed the attack to the Reuters news agency. The sources said the fighters stormed the town on a motorbike at roughly 6.30pm and opened fire on residents and the military in sporadic shootings.

The fighters fled after the military called in air force support and reinforcements from a battalion in a neighbouring town.

Islamic State West Africa Province, an affiliate of ISIS, has carried out a string of attacks in Nigeria in recent months.

The group split in 2016 from Boko Haram, which has waged a decade-long insurgency in North-East Nigeria that has killed some 30,000 people and displaced over two million people.

The Federal Government had declared in December 2015 that it had technically defeated Boko Haram.

While attacks in most parts of the country have ceased, bombings have continued to take place in the North-East particularly Borno State.

A top military officer blamed the recent surge in attacks to the lack of cooperation as well as high wired politics taking place among the top military brass.

The source said, “The attack is true. We lost a lot of men but unfortunately many things are being hidden from the press. Normally, in military operations, when there is a joint mission, the Chief of Defence Staff is supposed to be in charge.

“Unfortunately, that is not the case. The Chief of Army Staff is the one calling all the shots at the moment. And there is a lack of synergy among the services.”

When contacted on the telephone, the Director of Defence Information, Col. Onyeama Nwachukwu, declined comment, said the military had recorded several successes.

He said troops of 121 and 192 Battalions of Operation Lafiya in collaboration with Civilian JTF and local vigilantes, have cleared Surdewalla, Ranwa, Baladayo, Sabon Gari and Shetimeri villages in Borno State, in a simultaneous operation code-named, ‘Operation Hardstrike.’

The troops reportedly killed three terrorists at Ranwa 11, while many were wounded and others escaped.

He said troops of 192 Battalion advanced along Sabon Gari and Shetimeri villages where they cleared a scout of Boko Haram terrorists. A makeshift shelter for suspected insurgents was also destroyed.

Nwachukwu added that two soldiers were injured during an encounter with insurgents at Gajigana town by troops of 212 Tank Battalion.

He said, “Additionally, 177 Task Force Battalion in collaboration with the Civilian JTF cleared Mboa, Mboa-Kura, Yarchida, Bombula, Tshata andBamzir villages. At Furfur village, troops exchanged fire with BHTs which led to the death of one terrorist and recovery of one AK47 rifle, three magazines, 50 rounds of 7.62mm special ammunition and one magazine bandolier.”

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Insecurity: FG Resuscitates Special Terrorism Prosecution Courts

Published

on

Attorney-General of the Federation (AGF), Abubakar Malami, has said that special terrorism prosecution courts will soon be resuscitated in Nigeria.

In a statement on Thursday, Special Assistant on Media and Public Relations to the AGF, Umar Gwandu, said the decision is part of efforts to address insecurity.

“The federal government is committed to ending insecurity in the country. The courts are to bring to book all those found guilty in connection with terrorism, so as to serve as a deterrent to others,” the statement read.

“In addition to the prosecution of 400 suspected Boko Haram financiers, the measures taken by the government will counter the twin trouble of insurgency and insecurity in the country.”

On April 30, 2013, Ibrahim Auta, the former chief judge of the federal high court, made a practice direction that amended the order 48 rule 4 of the federal high court (civil procedure) rule 2009, which took effect on June 3, 2013.

The practice direction was intended to fast-track criminal trials relating to offences of terrorism, kidnapping, trafficking in persons, rape, corruption, and money laundering cases, and ensure that delays in criminal trials are largely eliminated.

Under this practice, the court shall ensure that criminal cases are fully ready for trial before hearing dates are agreed, in order to minimise undue adjournments and delays.

Parties involved in the trials are also expected to focus only on important matters relating to their cases.

Continue Reading

Headlines

$65m Fraud: ICPC Declares Buhari’s Son-in-Law Wanted

Published

on

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has declared Gimba Yau Kumo, son-in-law of President Muhammadu Buhari, wanted over an alleged $65 million fraud.

In a notice published on Thursday, Azuka Ogugua, spokesperson of the anti-graft commission, said Kumo is declared wanted alongside Tarry Rufus and Bola Ogunsola over alleged misappropriation and dispersion of national housing funds.

Kumo, a former managing director of the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria, married Fatima, the president’s daughter, in 2016 at Daura, Katsina state.

“The persons whose pictures appear above, Mr. Tarry Rufus, Mr. Gimba Yau Kumo and Mr. Bola Ogunsola, are hereby declared WANTED by the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) in connection with issues bordering on misappropriation of National Housing Funds and diversion of the sum of Sixty Five Million dollars ($65,000,000),” the ICPC said.

“Anyone who has useful information on their whereabouts should report to ICPC Headquarters Abuja, any of the ICPC State Offices or the nearest police station.”

In April, the senate committee on public accounts summoned Kumo to explain the alleged irregular award of N3 billion contract when he was still at the bank.

TheCable

Continue Reading

Headlines

Igbo Aren’t Violent People, Ignore ‘Rumour’ of Attack on Lagos – Ohanaeze Tells Sanwo-Olu

Published

on

Apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, Ohanaeze Ndigbo, has asked Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, to ignore threats of attacks on the state.

On Monday, Hakeem Odumosu, Lagos commissioner of police, said the command is probing threats of attacks by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and Oodua Republic agitators.

The groups have, however, denied the allegations.

Speaking at a meeting with Sanwo-Olu at the Lagos government house on Thursday, George Obiozor, Ohanaeze president-general, said the “rumour” is intended to distract the governor from delivering good governance to the people.

Obiozor said Igbo people are not known for acts of violence.

“Today, the leadership of Ohanaeze Ndigbo worldwide, in the company of Igbo elders and leaders in Lagos, are here to pay you (Sanwo-Olu) a solidarity visit and to further reassure you that Ndigbo are not violent in nature, neither are we known for acts of violence anywhere we live,” Gboyega Akosile, chief press secretary to the governor, quoted Obiozor as saying.

“[On] the constant and periodic dangerous insinuations, rumour, gossip and callous statements that Ndigbo in Lagos or any part of Yorubaland contemplate or instigate violence in Lagos or any part of Yorubaland, we wish to state clearly that anywhere this dangerous rumour or statement is emanating from is aimed to cause division, crises and conflict amongst us.

“We think that this rumour is intended to distract the Lagos State Government from its efforts to provide good governance for all and cause disaffection between Ndigbo who live in Lagos and their host community, which is the second home of several Ndigbo.

“The quick denial of this rumour by members of IPOB and Yoruba groups in Lagos and across the south-west was a source of relief.

“The Igbo nation is renowned for being agents of development, not destruction. Ndigbo are builders and their contributions to the development of Lagos State are evident and exemplary.”

Continue Reading