Connect with us

News

We’ve No Record of Rape, Sexual Harassment – Covenant University

Published

on

The Covenant University has refuted allegations that female students of the school are being sexually harassed and raped by workers of the intuition.

PUNCH Metro gathered that people had been accusing some workers of sexually harassing and raping female undergraduates of the institution.

Lamenting over the incident on social media, a man, while using his Instagram handle, @_Otitoo, called for urgent intervention to prevent a situation that would lead to the death of a student.

The post read, “CU girls are being raped and nothing is being done about it. Do something now. We don’t want to see your candles after we lose another girl.”

The screenshot of another message that was also shared on Twitter alleged that workers of the school were raping students who broke rules of the institution, adding that a student who got pregnant for a worker got expelled.

The message read, “The staff in Covenant University are raping the students. They’ll set stupid rules and if the students should break them, they’ll sleep with them in exchange for their studentship.

“A girl is in a coma now. She did an abortion for the head of the students’ disciplinary council. He got her pregnant and still expelled her.

“So many students there are being abused. It’s a Christian University for crying out loud. Covenant University has hidden so many deaths. They’ve expelled so many students for trying to speak up for their rights.”

Contacted, the Media Office of the institution, who gave her name only as Chichi, described the social media posts as false and the work of a mischievous person.

“It’s not true. It is a very false tweet or whatever it was. The person behind it must be mischievous.”

She added that the tweet was a surprise to her because no student had come forward to complain about anything related to the allegations in the tweet.

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Ban on Sales, Consumption of Sachet Alcoholic Drinks Still in Force, Says NAFDAC

Published

on

Director General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC), Prof. Moji Adeyeye, has reaffirmed that the ban on the sale and consumption of sachet alcoholic beverages in the country is still in force.

Adeyeye announced this on Wednesday during a press briefing in Lagos.

She said: “The ban on sachet alcohol is a ministerial directive and the ban still remains until the ministers respond. The meeting last week Thursday is a continuation of the discussion.

“The outcome of the meeting is that the ministers should write a memo to the Speaker (of Reps) and the House (of Reps), and the Representative of the Speaker, Prof Jake Dan-Azumi then said we should continue the discussion after the recess of the House members in July. So, the discussion continues.”

The Deputy Spokesman for the House of Representatives, Philip Agbese, disclosed last Friday that the House and NAFDAC resolved to lift the ban on the sale and consumption of sachet alcoholic beverages.

Agbese said the resolution to temporarily lift the ban was reached after a meeting between the House Committee and NAFDAC officials.

He said the lifting of the ban would end when the economy fully recovers from its current strain.

On February 1, 2024, NAFDAC commenced the enforcement of the ban on the importation, manufacture, distribution, sale and use of alcoholic beverages in sachets, PET, and glass bottles of 200ml and below.

The NAFDAC DG said the decision was based on the recommendation of a high-powered committee of the Federal Ministry of Health, NAFDAC, Federal Competition and Consumer Protection Commission, and the industry represented by the Association of Food, Beverages and Tobacco Employers, Distillers and Blenders Association of Nigeria, in December 2018.

However, the move to enforce the ban has generated repeated protests by distillers and labour unions, who said the ban would cost 500,000 workers their jobs, and ruin N800bn investments.

Meanwhile, medical experts warned that lifting the ban on alcoholic beverages will lead to acute health complications, increased road traffic accidents, increased risk of abuse of alcohol, liver problems, heart-related problems, and cancers, among others.

Continue Reading

News

Court Denies Suspended DCP Abba Kyari Bail

Published

on

Justice Emeka Nwite of the Abuja Federal High Court has denied suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, bail.

In his ruling, the judge held that Kyari’s bail is at the discretion of the court in line with section 161 (2) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act.

The judge ruled that Kyari had not shown any evidence to warrant the court granting him bail.

On May 22, the judge had granted the former boss of the Intelligence Response Team, IRT, temporary two-week bail to bury his mother.

However, the two weeks were extended by a week upon an application filed by Mr. Kyari for an extension of the bail.

On June 1, Kyari perfected the bail conditions and was released the same day.

At today’s proceedings, Justice Emeka Nwite refused to extend his earlier order but granted accelerated hearing in the case.

Kyari was detained following his arrest on February 14, 2022, by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency for alleged involvement with an international drug cartel.

He, along with four members of the Police Intelligence Response Team—Sunday Ubia, Bawa James, Simon Agirigba, and John Nuhu—was arraigned on March 7, 2022.

Two suspected drug traffickers, Chibunna Umeibe and Emeka Ezenwanne, who were arrested at Akanu Ibiam International Airport in Enugu, were also charged.

While Kyari and the IRT members pleaded not guilty, Umeibe and Ezenwanne pleaded guilty and were convicted.

DailyPost

Continue Reading

News

Fubara Nominates, Swears-in 23 Caretaker Committee Chairmen

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Siminalayi Fubara, is swearing in new caretaker chairmen for the 23 local government areas of the state.

The swearing-in took place at the Government House in Port Harcourt, amid tight security.

The first batch of 11 CTC chairmen took their oath of office first.

It comes a day after he forwarded the list to the state House of Assembly led by factional Speaker, Victor Jumbo.

Channels Television reported that the lawmakers had invited the nominees for screening as early as 8 am on Wednesday.

See the names of the caretaker chairmen nominated by Fubara below:

Abua/Odua LGA – Madigai Dickson

Ahoada East LGA – Happy Benneth

Ahoada West LGA – Mr. Daddy John Green

Akuku Toru LGa – Otonye Briggs

Andoni LGA – Reginald Ekaan

Asari Toru LGA – Orolosoma Amachree

Bonny LGA – Alabota Anengi Barasua

Degema LGA – Anthony Soberekon

Eleme LGA – Brain Gokpa

Emouha LGA – David Omereji

Etche LGA – John Otamiri

Gokana LGA – Kenneth Kpeden

Ikwerre LGA – Darlington Orji

Khana LGA – Marvin Yobana

Obia/Akpor LGA – Chijioke Ihunwo

Ogu/Bolo LGA – Evans Bipi

Okrika LGA – Princess Ogan

Omuma LGA – Promise Reginald

Opobo/Nkoro LGA – Enyiada Cookey-Gam

Oyigbo LGA – – Gogo Philip

Port Harcourt LGA – Ichemati Ezebunwo

Tai LGA – Matthew Dike

Channels Television

Continue Reading