Featured
Apeeal Court Throws Out Onnoghen’s Appeals, Faults CCT’s Suspension Order

The Abuja Division of the Court of Appeal on Friday threw out four appeals filed by former Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, regarding his trial by the Code of Conduct Tribunal.
But the court in one of the four unanimous judgments of the three-man panel, faulted the ex parte order issued by the CCT on January 23, 2019 for Onnoghen’s suspension.
President Muhammadu Buhari acted on the same order to suspend Onnoghen and swear in Justice Tanko Muhammad as acting CJN on January 25.
The three-man bench of the Court of Appeal led by Justice Stephen Adah in four separate unanimous judgments held that three of the appeals had become academic since the trial had been concluded by the CCT.
One of the appeals was ruled to be incompetent.
All the four appeals were filed to challenge various interlocutory decisions of the Danladi Umar CCT before the tribunal handed down its final judgment convicting Onnoghen on April 18, 2019.
Justice Adah said, “Since the substantive matter before the CCT has already been concluded, this appeal is already spent and there is no basis to go into the nitty-gritty of the ex parte order.”
The Federal Government on January 11, 2019 charged Onnoghen with breach of the Code of Conduct for Public Officers by failing to declare his assets between 2005 and 2016 and also making false declaration by not declaring five domiciliary bank accounts as part of his assets in 2016.
Onnoghen remained suspended until April 18 when the CCT convicted him on all six counts and ordered his removal from office.
But Justice Adah said in one of the judgments that the ex parte order for his suspension was not only made when the defendant had yet to be arraigned before the CCT, it was obtained in the proceedings “shrouded in secrecy and clandestine manoeuvre”.
He said while all the parties to the case during the January 22, 2019 proceedings of the trial agreed with the tribunal to have the case adjourned till January 25 for the hearing of pending applications, the prosecution went behind the defendant to obtain the ex parte order on January 23.
“The mode of secrecy the ex parte order has raised some questions,” he said.
He also said courts must be wary not to address the merit of a substantive matter in an interlocutory application.
“The merit of the matter ought not be taken at the interlocutory stage,” he said.
Justice Adah also agreed with Onnoghen’s lawyers, Chief Adegboyega Awomolo (SAN), and Chief Chris Uche (SAN), that the ex parte order breached the ex-CJN’s right to fair hearing.
“The appellant has said the order was in breach of his fundamental right to fair hearing. This is true and it ought not to be so,” he said.
Justice Olabisi Ige, who read the lead judgment in another appeal, also held that the CCT ought to have suspended proceedings in reverence for the various interim court orders issued by the National Industrial Court and the Federal High Court, restraining the tribunal from going on with the trial.
Justice Ige said, “The judgments, rulings, decisions and orders issued by a court of law are sacrosanct and must be obeyed until set aside.”
He said the tribunal should have obeyed the restraining orders not minding if the orders were illegal or that “the court went on a voyage of its own”.
He added that the only option available to the tribunal was to file an appeal before the Court of Appeal to have the orders set aside.
However, the Justices, including Justice Tinuade Akomolafe-Wilson, who delivered the lead judgment in another appeal, held that there was nothing wrong with the CCT’s decision to hear the appellant’s notice of preliminary objection along with the prosecution’s interlocutory motion on notice.
They also ruled that the CCT rightly applied the provisions of section 306 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act by refusing the defendant’s application for stay of proceedings.
Justice Adah, in another judgment dismissed Onnoghen’s appeal challenging the warrant of arrest issued against him by the CCT.
The appeal was struck out on the basis that the appellant failed to present a copy of the arrest before the court.
Meanwhile, the Court of Appeal has yet to fix a date for the hearing of Onnoghen’s appeal challenging his conviction by the CCT.
The Punch
Featured
Gatmash Partners Access Bank to End ‘Period’ Poverty in Nigeria with ‘PAD Me a Girl Initiative’

Access Bank Plc, a leading financial institution in Nigeria, is partnering the “PAD Me A Girl Initiative,” a project of GATMASH MEDIA, to launch a ‘Pad Bank’ aimed at providing free sanitary pads to girls and women in need.
The groundbreaking initiative is founded by Theresa Moses, a renowned journalist and Editor-in-Chief of GATMASH NEWS. The project seeks to address the pressing conundrum of ‘period’ poverty, which is affecting millions of girls and women in Nigeria.
The initiative will help address pads deficit among the less privileged members of the society as its aim is to promote menstrual health and hygiene, as well as provide educational materials, and support girls and women in Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camps.
The Access PAD Me A Girl Initiative is also partnering with several organizations, including Checkers Custard, Empowered Girls for Christ Foundation, Jeffrey Kuraun Foundation, ProStar, Vita Baites Foods, and many more.
This is a unique and innovative concept, designed to store and distribute free sanitary pads to the needy. The ‘Pad Bank’ will be stocked with sanitary pads donated by Access Bank, other corporate organizations, and individuals. The idea is to collect and distribute over 1 million sanitary pads annually.
“We are excited to partner with Access Bank to launch the Pad Bank,” said Theresa Moses, Convener of the “PAD Me A Girl Initiative.”
“Access Bank is committed to making a positive impact in the lives of Nigerians. Therefore, Access PAD Me A Girl project is a testament to its dedication to creating a more inclusive and equitable society that every girl and woman deserves access to sanitary pads.
“The Pad Bank is a game-changer in the fight against period poverty, as it will provide a safe and accessible space for girls and women to access sanitary pads, promoting dignity and empowering them to reach their full potential.”
The Access PAD Me A Girl Project aligns with the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal 4 (SDG 4), which aims to ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
In addition, the initiative will provide educational materials and support (Exercise books and pen), thereby helping to promote literacy and educational attainment, in consonance with SDG 5, which aims to achieve gender equality and empowering all women and girls to reach their full potentials.
The Access PAD Me A Girl Project, which includes the launch of the Pad Bank, will kick off on April 3rd, 2025, in Gofye Community, Kuje Area Council, New Kunchingoro, Opposite Games Village, Kaura, Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja, and on April 5th, 2025, in Ortese IDP Camp, Guma LGA, Benue State.
Featured
How Adebutu’s JB Farms is Transforming Ondo’s Agricultural Landscape

Ondo State is historically a giant in agriculture which is the mainstay of the economy of Nigeria. This is despite being listed as one of the states rich in crude oil and other minerals in Nigeria.
For a long time, Ondo State has been the biggest producer of cocoa in Nigeria. Further, the state is blessed with large fields of fertile soil which supports high yield of oil palm, rubber, cassava, among others cash and food crops.
This is why the Executive Governor of Ondo State, Gov. Lucky Orimisan Aiyedatiwa has vowed to continue to support initiatives which will bring back the glory days of Ondo State in agriculture. His efforts are beginning to yield immense gains as one of the largest agricultural investments in the recent history of the state has just been established. This is the JB Palm Plantation and Processing Mill, Ore, Ondo State which is bankrolled by the Managing Director/CEO of JB Farms limited, Mr. Ajibola Adebutu, MON in the oil-rich State.
The remarkable investment by Mr. Ajibola Adebutu is a significant milestone in Ondo State’s progression towards taking back its pride of place as leader of the agricultural revolution in Southwest Nigeria, nay Nigeria as a whole. This huge investment in oil palm production which is needed for food products like cooking oil, margarine, soaps, cosmetics, and biofuels will undoubtedly set Ondo State as the hub for agricultural production and processing.
On the other hand, this grand investment by Ajibola Adebutu may also help to reverse the trend of kidnapping and criminality in Ondo South Senatorial district where it is located. The place was a hiding haven for criminals as it used to be a thick forest.
Paying a working visit to the JB Farms in Ore, the visibly elated Executive Governor, Hon. Lucky Aiyedatiwa stated: ‘This is a very large plantation. It is the biggest I have seen. So much has gone into this place including road infrastructure. This is about 400km of roads leading to the various clusters in this farm. They have taken it to another level. We have to support large scale mechanized farmers. We will give them all the required support, security, and enabling environment.’
While appreciating the Governor for his visit, Mr. Adebutu noted that this oil palm investment ‘is capable of producing about 800 tonnes of palm fruit everyday. With this, security wise, kidnappers will not have a place to hide. We are encouraging people. We are challenging people to invest because this is part of the future of Nigeria.’
Governor Aiyedatiwa also planted a palm tree in the Farms to affirm his unrivalled commitment to promoting food sufficiency, sustainable agriculture and profitable agribusiness in the state.
Culled from Trek Africa Newspaper
Featured
Avalanche Opens Creative Academy in Lagos

Fast-growing Lagos-based Entertainment and hospitality hub, Avalanche has announced the birth of its educational arm, The Avalanche Creative Academy.
The academy is designed as a top-notch platform dedicated to nurturing creativity and innovation among aspiring creatives.
The Academy aims to provide comprehensive training through various programs, workshops, and mentorship opportunities, all designed to inspire and equip students with the skills they need to thrive in the creative industry.
It offers the following courses: Music Production, Sound Engineering, Photography, cinematography, 3D,graphic designs, motion graphics, Business Management, Creative copywriting, and Creative Strategies.
The Academy’s first set of intakes is scheduled to resume on the 17th of February 2025, while application opens from 13th of January 2025, on a 12-week basic course.
“Together, we can create invaluable experiences for our students and contribute to the creative community.
Follow the link below to register