Connect with us

Metro

Gunmen Defy Curfew, Invade Plateau Community, Kill 30 Persons

Published

on

No fewer than 30 persons were killed in Plateau State in the early hours of Wednesday by gunmen who attacked Kwahaslalek village, Mangu Local Government Area of the state.

It was gathered that the victims, who were mostly women and children, had run to the house of a community leader in the area on Tuesday night for safety following an earlier unrest during the day in Mangu town when the gunmen surrounded them and killed all of them

A community leader in the area, Mark Haruna, confirmed the death toll to PUNCH Online in Jos, the state capital, on Wednesday.

Haruna said, “What happened at Sabon Gari and Mangu town yesterday afternoon (Tuesday) was just a distraction so that the attention of the people will be shifted away from the villages.

“For the second time, my village Kwahaslalek (behind NYSC camp) came under attack by gunmen yesterday (Tuesday) night. They came at about 12:30 am and killed over 25 people, mostly women and children.”

The Chairman of Mwaghavul Development Association, Joseph Gwankat, also confirmed the killing, describing it as callous.

“I couldn’t sleep last night as a result of what happened in Mangu town during the day yesterday. Now, I have just been told Kwahaslalek village was attacked last night and about 30 people were killed.

“From what I was told, the unrest in Mangu town yesterday created fears in many communities. Some people in the village went and evacuated their loved ones and assembled them in a place where they thought was safe.

“So in the night, the killers went to Kwahaslalek village where the people mostly women and children were assembled and killed all of them,” he said

The chairman who condemned the killing added, “I was told that no security was on ground to save the villagers. This act is pure wickedness. How can people who are in their villages be targets of constant attacks and killings without anything being done to stop the perpetrators?”

The spokesman for the state police command, Alabo Alfred, said he had yet to get the report of the incident when contacted.

“I have not received any report on that. Let me call my Commander. We will investigate the incident if actually something like that happened,” the PPRO said

The Plateau State Governor, Caleb Mutfwang, declared a 24-hour curfew on the Mangu LGA on Tuesday (yesterday).

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Cultist, 2Baba, Responsible for Killing Rivers DPO, Neutralized – Police

Published

on

Police operatives in Rivers State, on Saturday, said they have eliminated one Gift Okpara aka 2 Baba, prime suspect in the murder of a Divisional Police Officer of Ahoada Division, Bako Angbashim, in September last year.

A group of criminals, during the period, murdered the DPO in an ambush attack at the Odiemudie community of Ahoada East Local Government Area and dismembered his body.

Angered by the killing, the Rivers State Governor, Similayi Fubara, placed a N100 million bounty on Okpara, and charged the police to fish him out to face justice over the gruesome murder of the police officer.

The spokesperson for the Rivers State Police Command, Grace Iringe-Koko, who confirmed the news in a statement on Monday in Port Harcourt, said the hoodlum was killed in a recent joint security raid in the Idu-Ekpeye community in Ahiada East LGA.

She said human skulls, assorted rifles, explosives, and various charms were recovered during the raid on Okpara’s hideout.

The statement read: “On February 17, 2024, at around 12:00hrs, 2BABA and his gang attacked Okogbe town and Odiokwu community in Ahoda West LGA, destroying pipelines.

“At 04:00hrs, operatives raided 2Baba’s new camp. Despite a fierce gun battle, 2Baba and his gang members escaped.

“However, at around 14:00hrs, intelligence confirmed 2Baba’s death after he lost consciousness and resuscitation attempts failed.

“Efforts are in progress to retrieve the body of the infamous killer, while investigations into the Iceland cult’s activities in the region continue.

“The Rivers State Police Command remains resolute in its duty to protect the lives and property of the citizens and it will continue to employ all necessary resources and strategies to ensure a safe and secure environment for all.”

Continue Reading

Metro

Police Nab Five Suspects, Vow to Frustrate Illegal Sales, Theft at Ports

Published

on

The Nigeria Police Force has again reiterated its commitment to enforcing all laws and emplacing anti-crime strategies to curb illegal activities at our various ports and around the economic hubs in Nigeria.

The commitment, according to a statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi, is geared towards stimulating the government’s agenda of quick economic recovery and development in our dear county.

The commitment was re-echoed when the Eastern Port Police Command confirmed the arrest of 5 suspects in connection with the diversion of bags of wheat belonging to the United Nations World Food Programme (UNWFP), and recovery of about 1,238 bags of wheat in Port-Hacourt on the 6th of February 2024.

The 1,840 bags of wheat which were to be transported from Ibeto Port Terminal, Port-Harcourt, to an Internally Displaced Persons (IDP) camp located in Kano State were fraudulently diverted by the drivers tasked with this assignment, alongside their accomplices, who were intercepted and apprehended by the operatives of the Nigeria Police attached to the Eastern Port.

The operatives made an arrest of five (5) suspects namely Umar Hashim, Edidiong Umoh, Udah Stanley, Abubakar Jariri and Yunusa Babangida, and recovered 1,238 stolen bags of wheat along with the truck and a bus used in carrying out the crime. The recovered bags of wheat have been returned to the World Food Programme, and efforts are in top gear to recover the missing 602 bags of wheat and arrest the other suspects associated with the crime.

The FPRO reiterated that the Inspector General of Police, IGP Kayode Egbetokun has re-emphasized the goal of the Nigeria Police to ensure that individuals engaged in activities aimed at sabotaging the economy of the country and entrenching hardships among the vulnerable members of the public are ardently dealt with in line with extant laws. He has therefore ordered that the suspects be charged to court upon conclusion of investigations and tying of all lose ends.

Continue Reading

Metro

Police Recruitment: PSC Shortlists 171, 956 Candidates for CBT on March 5

Published

on

The Police Service Commission has fixed Tuesday, March 5th, 2024 for the Computer Based Test (CBT) for successful applicants for Police recruitment from the just concluded credentials and physical screening exercise that held throughout the 36 states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

A total of 171,956 applicants who were successful from the screening exercise are expected to take part in the Computer based tests. Candidates for the aptitude tests are applicants for the General duty positions.

The 43,778 applicants who were successful from the specialists cadre during the screening exercise are expected to go through practical tests at a date to be announced soon by the Commission.

The Commission after the Meeting of the Police Recruitment Board on Tuesday, February 13th, 2024 approved that the Joint Admission and Martriculation Board, JAMB, should conduct the Computer based tests for the Police applicants because of its long standing pedigree in such examinations.

For the General Duty cadre, 315, 114 applicants were invited for the screening exercise out of which 171,956 were successful and shortlisted for the JAMB CBT. The 171,956 applicants shortlisted are made up of 25,818 females and 146,138 males.

Kaduna State will be presenting the highest number of candidates for the tests with12,343 followed by Bauchi with 10,911, Benue, 10,532 and Katsina,10,457.

Anambra State has the least candidates for the aptitude tests with 343 applicants followed by Lagos, 504 and Ebonyi, 600.

Successful candidates from the Computer based tests will be required to appear for medical examinations before they proceed for training

Dr. Solomon Arase CFR, retired Inspector General of Police and Chairman of the Commission said the Commission is on course to conclude this exercise on time so that successful candidates can be quickly injected into the system to join in the renewed war against insurgency and banditry.

He commended Mr. President for this rare opportunity to reinforce and reinvigorate

The Police Service Commission has fixed Tuesday, March 5th, 2024 for the Computer Based Test (CBT) for successful applicants for Police recruitment from the just concluded credentials and physical screening exercise that held throughout the 36 states of the Federation and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja.

A total of 171,956 applicants who were successful from the screening exercise are expected to take part in the Computer based tests. Candidates for the aptitude tests are applicants for the General duty positions.

The 43,778 applicants who were successful from the specialists cadre during the screening exercise are expected to go through practical tests at a date to be announced soon by the Commission.

The Commission after the Meeting of the Police Recruitment Board on Tuesday, February 13th, 2024 approved that the Joint Admission and Martriculation Board, JAMB, should conduct the Computer based tests for the Police applicants because of its long standing pedigree in such examinations.

For the General Duty cadre, 315, 114 applicants were invited for the screening exercise out of which 171,956 were successful and shortlisted for the JAMB CBT. The 171,956 applicants shortlisted are made up of 25,818 females and 146,138 males.

Adamawa State will be presenting the highest number of candidates for the tests with 13, 780 followed by Kaduna,12,343, Bauchi 10,911, Benue, 10,532 and Katsina,10,457.

Anambra State has the least candidates for the aptitude tests with 343 applicants followed by Lagos, 504 and Ebonyi, 600.

Successful candidates from the Computer based tests will be required to appear for medical examinations before they proceed for training

Dr. Solomon Arase CFR, retired Inspector General of Police and Chairman of the Commission said the Commission is on course to conclude this exercise on time so that successful candidates can be quickly injected into the system to join in the renewed war against insurgency and banditry.

He commended Mr. President for this rare opportunity to reinforce and reinvigorate the Police Force for improved performance .

Dr. Arase assured that the Commission will continue to seek for citizen oriented and friendly Police, properly trained and equipped to provide inspiring leadership in the nation’s internal security.

Continue Reading