Connect with us

Metro

Hoodlums Set Abia Police Station Ablaze, Kill Policeman, Free Suspects

Published

on

The Abayi police station in Aba, the commercial hub of Abia State was burnt down by yet-to-be-identified hoodlums in the early morning hours of Tuesday.

The hoodlums also burnt all the operational vehicles parked within the premises of the police station.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state Mr. Geoffrey Ogbonna, confirmed the incident toThe PUNCH.

He said the hoodlums numbering over one hundred had attacked the police station from a nearby compound with the intention of taking over the station.

The Police spokesman added that the attackers who freed some suspects in the police station threw petrol into the station before gaining entrance into the facility.

He said some policemen on duty engaged the hoodlums in a gun battle, which resulted in the death of one policeman and some casualties on the side of the hoodlums, while many of them fled with bullet injuries.

Ogbonna revealed that some of the hoodlums had been arrested by the police, while a manhunt had been launched for those at large.

He urged all health facilities in the state especially in Aba to report anybody with suspected
bullet injuries that come for treatment to the police.

He said, “Hospitals can give treatment to people with suspected bullet injures to revive them, but they should do well to report such a person to a nearby police station.”

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro

Drivers Along Badagry Expressway Protest Touts, Security Agencies Extortion, Passengers Stranded

Published

on

Drivers of Lagos yellow commercial buses, popularly known as danfo plying the Mile 2/Badagry expressway on Friday protested against extortion by touts and security operatives.

The majority of the drivers participating in the protest are currently occupying Ketu bus stop, along the road.

SaharaReporters gathered that the development has left many passengers around the area stranded.

According to the drivers, they have no more money to pay the louts, who take over N1, 000 from them for each vehicle daily.

The protesters added that there are too many security checkpoints on the expressway, and that they are being extorted excessively.

They also complained about harassment and extortion by police, Vehicle Inspection Officers and Federal Road Safety Corps officials which they said had worsened recently.

Some of the areas affected are Agbara to Iyana-Era, Igbo-Elerin, Okokomaiko, and Iyana Iba.

SaharaReporters learnt that some commuters were left with the option of commercial motorcycles, who charged N3, 000 from Iyana-Era to Mile 2.

“A lot of commuters plying the road are presently stranded and may remain so but the drivers are determined to keep up the strike until the extortion of drivers on the road is stopped by the government.

“The only major reservation expressed by some is that the police may be deployed to unleash terror on the drivers anytime soon.

“They say while some may be arrested, they are conscious that many of them may be killed by the erratic officers who would be deployed to crush the strike by any means necessary,” a resident of the area told SaharaReporters.

Saharareporters

Continue Reading

Metro

Police Probe Gang-Rape of Akwa Ibom Teenage Girl by Three Men

Published

on

The Akwa Ibom State Police Command said it had begun investigation into the case of a 16-year-old girl, who was gang-raped by three men in the Eyoabasi community, Oron Local Government Area of the state.

It was gathered that the victim was gang-raped around 7pm on February 18, 2021, when she was coming back from a coaching class.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim, a Senior Secondary School 1 pupil, was allegedly attacked by three men and dragged into an uncompleted building and raped at gunpoint.

The victim, who managed to escape from the men, was said to have been rescued by a passerby when she fell.

It was gathered that the matter was reported at the Oron Divisional Police Headquarters.

However, the family accused police personnel at the station of trying to cover up the matter.

The victim’s uncle, Robinson Edumoh, alleged that the officer-in-charge of the juvenile, women and children unit at the station wrote a different statement for one of the suspects, who is in police custody and allegedly confessed to the crime, adding that the officer tried to turn the case against the victim.

He said, “My sister was directed to the woman in charge of the juvenile welfare unit, but she told her to come back the next Monday to collect the medical form.

“I called the DPO to tell him what happened and he requested that I should direct my sister to his office; she went and met with him and my sister got the medical form and took it to the hospital and the victim made a statement that she was attacked at gunpoint, but the police officers handling the case refused to carry out any search of the arrested suspect’s house to see if they would recover any arm until after a week.

“The officer-in-charge fabricated a statement for the arrested suspect that the victim said he was not involved. I met the DPO and he summoned the IPO and the OC, and when they got to his office, he asked her where the OC got the statement from and she started trading blames; so, the DPO ordered that the case file should be re-assigned to another officer and a search warrant should be executed to search the suspect’s house and the scene of the incident.”

Edumoh also alleged that after the Divisional Police Officer gave an order for the suspect’s house to be searched, the OC insisted on collecting money from the victim’s mother before executing the search warrant.

The victim’s uncle added that until he called the DPO again, the OC did not conduct a search on the suspect’s apartment.

He added, “I called the DPO again to tell him what the OC was saying; the DPO was mad at her before they were able to go to the suspect’s house on Friday, where they recovered live ammunition, and at the scene of the incident, the victim’s pants and her menstrual pad that the suspects tore were recovered one week after the incident.”

When contacted by our correspondent, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Odiko Macdon, refuted the claim that the police were covering up the matter.

He said the matter had been transferred to the state Criminal Investigation Department in Uyo.

Macdon stated, “The matter has been transferred to the state command, because the divisional headquarters have no right to handle a rape case; we have a special section at the state CID that handles such cases, and if the police are trying to cover up the case, they won’t have gone to execute a search warrant, recover the victim’s pants, pad and locally-made ammunition, and arrest a suspect.

The Punch

Continue Reading

Metro

Gunmen Attack Passenger Bus, kill One, Abduct Passengers in Osun

Published

on

Some unknown gunmen, Tuesday evening, killed a passenger and abducted some others along Osogbo/Ibokun road.

According to sources in the area, the incident occurred between 7:30 and 8:00 pm near Ajebandele, a village in the Obokun Local Government area, about three kilometres to Osogbo, the state capital.

The gunmen had reportedly attacked travellers and shot dead a man, whose name is not immediately available, while an unspecified number of passengers were also abducted.

The Field Commander, Amotekun Corps in Osun, Amitolu Shittu, who was at the scene of the crime, confirmed the incident.

Amitolu said the deceased was shot dead by the attackers, whom he said carried AK-47 riffles, adding that search and rescue operation had commenced for those abducted.

The Punch

Continue Reading