The Akwa Ibom State Police Command said it had begun investigation into the case of a 16-year-old girl, who was gang-raped by three men in the Eyoabasi community, Oron Local Government Area of the state.
It was gathered that the victim was gang-raped around 7pm on February 18, 2021, when she was coming back from a coaching class.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the victim, a Senior Secondary School 1 pupil, was allegedly attacked by three men and dragged into an uncompleted building and raped at gunpoint.
The victim, who managed to escape from the men, was said to have been rescued by a passerby when she fell.
It was gathered that the matter was reported at the Oron Divisional Police Headquarters.
However, the family accused police personnel at the station of trying to cover up the matter.
The victim’s uncle, Robinson Edumoh, alleged that the officer-in-charge of the juvenile, women and children unit at the station wrote a different statement for one of the suspects, who is in police custody and allegedly confessed to the crime, adding that the officer tried to turn the case against the victim.
He said, “My sister was directed to the woman in charge of the juvenile welfare unit, but she told her to come back the next Monday to collect the medical form.
“I called the DPO to tell him what happened and he requested that I should direct my sister to his office; she went and met with him and my sister got the medical form and took it to the hospital and the victim made a statement that she was attacked at gunpoint, but the police officers handling the case refused to carry out any search of the arrested suspect’s house to see if they would recover any arm until after a week.
“The officer-in-charge fabricated a statement for the arrested suspect that the victim said he was not involved. I met the DPO and he summoned the IPO and the OC, and when they got to his office, he asked her where the OC got the statement from and she started trading blames; so, the DPO ordered that the case file should be re-assigned to another officer and a search warrant should be executed to search the suspect’s house and the scene of the incident.”
Edumoh also alleged that after the Divisional Police Officer gave an order for the suspect’s house to be searched, the OC insisted on collecting money from the victim’s mother before executing the search warrant.
The victim’s uncle added that until he called the DPO again, the OC did not conduct a search on the suspect’s apartment.
He added, “I called the DPO again to tell him what the OC was saying; the DPO was mad at her before they were able to go to the suspect’s house on Friday, where they recovered live ammunition, and at the scene of the incident, the victim’s pants and her menstrual pad that the suspects tore were recovered one week after the incident.”
When contacted by our correspondent, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Odiko Macdon, refuted the claim that the police were covering up the matter.
He said the matter had been transferred to the state Criminal Investigation Department in Uyo.
Macdon stated, “The matter has been transferred to the state command, because the divisional headquarters have no right to handle a rape case; we have a special section at the state CID that handles such cases, and if the police are trying to cover up the case, they won’t have gone to execute a search warrant, recover the victim’s pants, pad and locally-made ammunition, and arrest a suspect.
For Eating Six Slices of Bread, Man Dumps Girlfriend
A young lady identified as @brandybride recently took to her Twitter page to narrate how a guy she was supposedly seeing and hoping they would click and become more romantically involved ditched her.
According to her, he ditched her because she ate 6 slices of bread over one sitting.
Here’s what she wrote;
“I remember one time I went to this guy’s house and ate 6 slices of bread. That was the last time he ever called me.”
It is not known whether it was because she ate one too many or otherwise…
EFCC Returns Recovered N67.5m to Fraud Victim
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said it has returned N67.5 million to a fraud victim, Emmanuel Onah, a trader based in Onitsha, Anambra State.
A statement by the commission’s spokesperson, Wilson Uwujaren, stated on Thursday that the money was recovered by the zonal office of the anti-graft agency in Enugu through a non-conviction based forfeiture.
Mr Onah was said to have in 2019 transferred N75, 760,540 to the duo of Tega Esinone and Obiajulu Umeagukwu for onward transmission to his business partner, Crecedor Industrial Co. Ltd in Hong Kong.
“The suspects converted the money to their own use. After efforts to recover his money from the suspects failed, Onah petitioned the EFCC,” Mr Uwujaren stated.
The statement added that the commission investigated the matter, and subsequently initiated a non-conviction based forfeiture process.
The process, according to the commission, culminated in a December 1, 2020 ruling by a judge of the Federal High Court in Enugu, Ibrahim Buba, ordering the forfeiture of the sum of N67, 522,831.55 in a new generation bank account belonging to Tega Esinone, to the victim.
Presenting the cheques to the victim Thursday, Oshodi Johnson, head of EFCC’s Enugu office, said “the gesture demonstrates the commission’s stance on justice for all.”
“EFCC is for everybody and all that the EFCC stands for is justice. We will continue to work within its mandate to ensure that Nigeria becomes a nation that is corrupt free. We will not rest until this is achieved,” Mr Johnson added.
He warned fraudsters of the commission’s readiness to fish them out, saying that it would be better they repent from their nefarious activities because it was only a matter of time before the long arms of law would catch up with them.
In his remarks after receiving the cheques, Mr Onah expressed gratitude to the commission for helping to recover his money.
“Honestly, I am so overjoyed because today is a day of smile. I came to you people in tears but today my heart is full of joy and my face is full of smiles. I am now a living testimony that the EFCC works and they can bring justice even to the common man,” he said.
Delta Police Make Another Breakthrough, Arrest Wanted Murder, Arson Suspects, Others
The Delta State Police Command has made more major breakthroughs in its quest to rid the state of crimes and criminal elements.
In a press statement, signed and released by the Commands Acting Public Relations Officer, DSP Edafe Bright, the Command noted that among those arrested were a wanted murder/arson suspects, cultist and phone thieves.
Below is the detailed statement:
On 14/04/2021 at about 1130hrs Police operatives attached to Delta state intelligence Bureau (SIB), after series of intelligence gathering, with the assistance of the command’s tactical teams, in a sting operation stormed Asem-Uku Community in Ndokwa East LGA and successfully arrested one Okwudili Obi ‘m’ and three others. Okwudili Obi a native of the Community and a notorious principal suspect in a case of multiple murders and arsons that destroyed many houses in the community, the suspect Okwudili Obi happens to be one of the principal suspect involved in the murder of one Sunday Nwachukwu and Fidelis Amani, who were allegedly murdered sometimes in the year 2017 in Asemo-Uku Community in NDOKWA East LGA, he and his cohort has been on the wanted list of the command. Exhibit recovered from him includes three cutlasses, six daggers, one long sword, charms wrapped with red/white blood stained cloths. Case is still under investigation with a view to arresting his accomplices who are currently at large.
On 13/04/2021 At About 1400hrs based on technical Intelligence Gathering, The Divisional Police Officer ‘A’ Division Warri CSP T.Y. MAHMUD mobilized Patrol teams attached to the Division and Stormed Hausa Quarters Along Warri / Sapele Road which happens to be One Of The Notably Notorious Flash Point in Warri and Arrested One Alix Oivwighren (M) Age 29yrs who allegedly Stole 3 Assorted Phones And Accessories From One Stella Othere (F) In Her Shop Located At Airport Junction Warri , Investigation led to the arrest of One Sani Mohammed (M) Age 38yrs Of Hausa Quarters Warri who allegedly bought the stolen phones, and also in his possession Were Three Other Stolen Phones Including a Samsung android phone , all Exhibits has been recovered. Both Suspects are currently been interrogated and will be charged to court while effort is been intensified for Possible Links their Cohorts .
In total compliance with the directive of the Commissioner of Police Delta State, CP Ari Muhammed Ali, FCIA, PSC+ to raid and crack down black spots, The Divisional Police Officer CSP T.Y Mahmud on 14/04/2021 at about 1815hrs at Orerokpe local Government Area based on intelligence gathered mobilized quick response team attached to ‘A’ Division Warri and stormed a black spot within Modisco Street Opposite army check point Jeddo, where one Nelson Newman (m) age 27yrs of same address was arrested with 35 wraps of skunk weed and other quantity of skunk weed inside black nylon bag all suspected to be Indian Hemp, based on preliminary investigation, he is suspected to be a major dealer in Indian hemp and has given useful information that will lead to the arrest of his cohorts.
Sequel to the cult clash that led to the killing of some alleged cult members some time ago in Otu-Jeremi, the Commissioner of Police Delta State CP Ari Muhammed Ali FCIA, PSC+ ordered that the Divisional Police Officer Otu-Jeremi Division must fish out those suspects involved and bring them to book, the Divisional Police Officer, SP Pius Eredei in compliance has been on the lookout, and after due intelligence gathering acted on a tip off and on 12/4/2021 at about 0500hrs one Michael Oghorume ‘m’ aged 19yrs who allegedly murdered one Timaya surname unknown and also suspected to be a member of dominion confraternity cult was arrested at Eyara Community in Otu-Jeremi, the suspect made useful statement which led to the arrest of one timothy Samuel ‘m’ age 20 years of Eyara Community and three others at the early hours of 13/4/2021 exhibit recovered from them includes one double barrel cut to size gun, some rolls of electric cable wire and one cutlass, The commissioner of police has ordered that the suspects and exhibit be transferred to SCID for further investigation. Meanwhile Manhunt for other cult members terrorizing the community is ongoing.