A 300-level medical student of the Niger Delta University, Ammasoma in the Southern Ijaw Local Governmant Area of Bayelsa State, has committed suicide for failing his examination.
PUNCH Metro gathered that the student, identified as Uzakah Ebiweni, dived into the Amassoma River and drowned before he could get help.
Sources at the university said few hours after Ebiweni’s body was recovered, another student attempted to kill himself by running into a fast-moving motorcycle was rescued by other students.
It was gathered that Ebiweni, a student of Surgery and Medicine at the Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences of the NDU, decided to kill himself following his failure to realise his dream.
He was said to be among the students disqualified by the institution after their results were released on Friday.
Ebiweni, it was learnt, found the development difficult to accept and was said to have dropped a hint about his suicidal intention through his WhatsApp status update.
He was said to have initially posted the picture of a lit candle and later changed it to that of a candle with its light blown out.
When contacted, the spokesperson for the Bayelsa State Police Command, Asinim Butswat, confirmed the incident, but said no official report had been made at the command headquarters yet.
The Public Relations Officer, NDU, Ndoni Ingezi, who also confirmed the incident, told our correspondent that Ebiweni’s body had been recovered and deposited in the Sabageria hospital mortuary.
He said the late student might have resorted to suicide after news that he was among the 22 students shortlisted to be withdrawn from the college.
Ingezi stated, “You know, it is a general practice that every student passes the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery exams before progressing to the next level of academic pursuit.
“But Ebiweni and 21 others failed beyond the level that they could be placed on academic probation for another academic year; so, they had to be withdrawn. So, in our usual practice, we did not break the news to the students until they had been invited for counselling.
“When Ebiweni was counselled and informed that he would be withdrawn from the college, he accepted the decision of the college in good faith and left, only to for the university to hear afterwards that the young man took his own life.”
The first female President of the Federated African Medical Students’ Association, Esite Winifred, lamented the development.
She said, “Today, a medical student took his life after failing his professional exams. This brought back a lot of memories, especially the number of times lecturers used to spread negativity and discouragement at the initial phase of the medical school.
“Please, this should at least be a wake-up call to all students and lecturers in the faculty. It is not your destiny to demoralise young people who want certificates.
“Mentor and uplift them or be quiet. Nothing at the end of the day is worth dying for, especially not medicine and surgery.”
Army Apologises to Corps Member Molested by Commissioned Officer
By Eric Elezuo
The Nigerian Army has apologised to a Corps Member, identified as Ezeiruaku Ifeanyinwa Fidelis, who was seen in a viral video being molested by female soldier, identified as Let Chika Viola Anele.
In a statement signed by the Director Army Public Relations, Brigadier General Onyema Nwachukwu, the army notes that the actions of the said officer was ‘highly unprofessional and unacceptable’, adding that the erring officer has been ‘identified and sanctioned on the interim and would be made to undergo regimental orders (trial) in line with the extant provisions of the Armed Forces Act.’
The statement also denied rumours that the army intended sweeping the matter under the carpet, stressing that the Force has zero tolerance for indiscipline.
Read the detailed statement:
OFFICER DEHUMANIZING CORPS MEMBER IN VIDEO HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL AND UNACCEPTABLE
The Nigerian Army (NA) has taken cognizance of a video clip currently making the rounds on the social media, where a female officer was seen dehumanizing a member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) in Calabar, Cross River State. This act is not only condemnable, but unprofessional and against established precepts of discipline in the NA.
The NA has remained undoubtedly the pride of the nation, a symbol of national unity that has consistently being in the vanguard of respect for the fundamental human rights of the citizenry. It is against this premise that the NA condemns this unimaginable level of infraction by a personnel in its ranks. The NA therefore, condemns in strong terms, this act of gross misconduct. Undoubtedly, the officer’s actions has caused the NA monumental embarrassment and is highly regrettable. This unfortunate act of indiscipline does not in anyway represent the NA and will not be condoned in its entirety.
For the records, the ugly incident happened in 13 Brigade, Calabar. The Brigade Commander immediately instituted an investigation and the officer involved has been identified and sanctioned on the interim and would be made to undergo regimental orders (trial) in line with the extant provisions of the Armed Forces Act. The submission that the Brigade attempted covering up was therefore misleading, as the NA remains a professional force that has zero tolerance for indiscipline amongst its personnel.
The NA wishes to reiterate and assure the general public that such infractions would not be tolerated from its personnel. The NA also reassures that the rights of the citizenry is sacrosanct and must be respected by all personnel of the NA, as any form of infraction will be severely dealt with. Therefore, the general public is enjoined to continue to report such infractions, as Human Rights Desks in all formations of the NA are emplaced to deal decisively with such erring personnel.
The NA further wishes to tender unreserved apology to the victim, her family members, friends, National Youth Service Corps and to Nigerians in general for the unwholesome treatment meted out to the Corps member.
Four Children Who Died After Eating Suya Buried in Umuahia
Tears flowed on Saturday as four of the seven children who died after allegedly eating Suya were buried in Umuahia, the Abia State capital.
The four victims are Kelechi Chibuzor, 12; Sunday Chibuzor, 10; Oluomachi Chibuzor, 8; and Kingsley Chibuzor, 3.
The children died on August 25.
PUNCH Metro learnt that the actual cause of the death was still being investigated.
Speaking at their funeral on Saturday, the Bishop of Goodnews Pentecostal Church, Umuahia, Ugochukwu Ogbonna, urged their parents to take heart.
While speaking on the topic, ‘The journey of this life and the call of eternity,’ Ogbonna maintained that everyone is a sojourner on earth and no one knows when he will die.
The cleric lauded the victims’ father, Ikwunze Chibuzor, and his wife, for showing the kids the way of the Lord, as he prayed God to grant their souls peaceful rest.
In his remarks, the President General of Ohuhu, Chief Obi Aguocha, urged the parents and relatives of the kids to be strong at their difficult time.
He said, “It is painful to wake up one day and lose your entire family. People lose one or two, but not four. It should not happen again.
“Children are supposed to bury their parents; but their father is giving back to God what He gave to him.”
He disclosed that the clan gave the family the sum of N4.8m “and something else for the children that would come afterwards.”
While appealing to the bereaved couple to see their fate as the beginning of a new life, he called on members of the community not to forget the family.
At the funeral, a member representing the Ikwuano/Umuahia Federal Constituency at the National Assembly, Ifeanyi Onuigbo, who was represented by Henry Eleogu, promised to stand by the family, just as he prayed God to grant them the fortitude to bear the loss.
Speaking, the bereaved father, Ikwunze, thanked all those who supported his family through financial means and words of encouragement.
He revealed that amid speculations that his kids died after eating Suya or inhaling generator fumes, autopsy results on the deaths would be out in the next two weeks.
Police Arrest Killers of Na’Allah’s Son, Greenfield University, Bethel Baptist Students’ Abductors
The Kaduna State Police Command on Thursday said it arrested kidnappers of students of Greenfield University and students of the Bethel Baptist High School, all in the state.
Also in the police net are kidnappers of the 37 students of the Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, in Igabi LGA of Kaduna State.
Both the Greenfield University and the Baptist Bethel High School are located in Chikun LGA of the state.
While parading suspects on Thursday at the Command’s Headquarters along Bida Road in the state capital, the Command’s spokesman, Mohammed Jalige, also announced the arrest of the suspected killers of 36-year-old Captain Abdulkareem Na’Allah, a pilot and son of Senator Bala Na’Allah.
Jalige said one Usman Mohammed from Bukuyum in Zamfara State was apprehended by operatives of the command in connection with the kidnap of the students of Greenfield University, Federal College of Forestry Mechanisation, Afaka, as well as Bethel Baptist High School, all in the state.
He said, “On the 29th August, 2021 at about 0900hrs, based on credible information, Operation Yaki Surveillance team with FIB STS Force Headquarter, Abuja, jointly raided a house along Ring Road, Asikolaye area of Kaduna, where one Usman Abubakar, ‘m’ 41 years old, a native of Adakpa village, Bukkuyum LGA of Zamfara State, a notorious kidnapper terrorising Chikun, Igabi and Giwa LGAs of Kaduna State, was arrested.
“He confessed to have kidnapped many people and collected several ransoms; he also has links with recent attacks on Greenfield University, Bethel Baptist Academy and School of Forestry Mechanisation, Mando, Kaduna.”
Speaking on the killers of Na’Allah’s son, the police spokesman noted that two of the three members of the gang that killed the pilot were in the custody of the command while one was at large.
He named one Bashir Mohammed, a neighbour of the slain pilot as principal suspect, while identifying another suspect as Nasir Salisu, also known as Uban Dana, adding that the third suspect, one Usman Kano, was at large.
Jalige explained that the three suspects conspired, broke into the house of Captain Abdulkarim and killed him before taking away his SUV vehicle and other valuables.
He added that the suspects sold the late pilot’s SUV vehicle in Republic of Niger at the cost of N1m.