Connect with us

Headlines

Credit Switch Boss’ Widow Narrates How Cook Killed Husband

Published

on

The wife of the late Chairman of Credit Switch Technology, Chief Ope Bademosi, who was murdered at his Parkview Estate residence in the Ikoyi area of Lagos State, on Tuesday narrated to a Lagos State High Court in Igbosere how her husband was allegedly murdered by their 22-year-old Togolese cook, Sunday Anani.

The widow, Ebunoluwa , told the court that she had gone to Polaris Bank at the Falomo area to transfer money to Dubai and China when the deceased angrily called her, asking why the defendant was knocking at his room’s door.

She added that by the time she came back, she saw blood flowing from her husband’s room.

Anani was alleged by the police to have stabbed his boss with a knife on Wednesday, October 31, 2018, three days after he was employed.

It was alleged that the suspect fled the home with some valuables belonging to his boss after committing the crime.

Anani was arrested by the Ondo State Police Command around 9.30am on November 2, 2018, in the Yaba area of Ondo town.

The suspect, who denied involvement in the murder, claimed that he and the victim were attacked by robbers, who demanded money from his boss.

He claimed that when the assailants were not satisfied with what they got, they killed the Credit Switch boss.

The cook is facing two counts of murder and armed robbery preferred against him by the Lagos State Government.

Ebunoluwa, at Tuesday’s proceedings, while being led in evidence by the Director of Public Prosecutions, Ms Titilayo Shitta-Bey, told the court that before she left for the bank, she had told the defendant that her husband was sleeping and that he should not be disturbed.

She said, “I left the bank and drove through Bourdillon and went home; the security man opened the gate and I drove in and went through the kitchen’s door to gain access into the building, but it was locked. I knocked several times, calling on the defendant, but he didn’t come to open the door.

“While waiting, I got a call from my sister in Ibadan and we spoke for about six minutes. I called my husband but the phone was picked and nobody responded. I called him twice and the same thing happened; so, I went downstairs and decided to pass through the front door, thinking that if I got there, there would be somebody at the door, but by the time I got to the front door, it was left ajar.

“I entered the apartment and saw blood flowing out from my husband’s bedroom. I couldn’t enter the bedroom, but the door was a bit opened and I saw his body lying on the floor, so I ran out of the building and started screaming and calling neighbours for help.”

The widow added that she inquired the whereabouts of the cook from the security man, who told her that the defendant informed him that he was sent on an errand.

She added that she passed out when she was informed by her neighbours, who went into the bedroom, that her husband was dead.

Ebunoluwa added that 10 days after the incident, she discovered that her husband’s five wristwatches and phone had been stolen by the defendant.

The presiding judge, Justice Mobolanle Okikiolu-Ighile, adjourned the case till June 11 for the continuation of trial.

Earlier the defendant’s counsel and Director of the Office of the Public Defender, Olayinka Adeyemi, informed the court that they would be opting for a plea bargain.

The Punch

Continue Reading
Advertisement


Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Headlines

Tinubu Set to Jet Out to France on Two Weeks ‘Working Visit’

Published

on

By Eric Elezuo

The Presidency has announce that President Bola Tinubu will be departing Abuja to (Wednesday) for Paris, France, on a ‘short working visit’.

A statement to the effect, signed and released by the Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy, Mr. Bayo Onanuga, was however silent on the shape of international relationship the working visiting the president was embarking on will take, but noted that Tinubu will use the ‘retreat’ to review his administration’s mid-term performance and assess key milestones, as well as review progress of ongoing reforms.

While acknowledging that the president will spend ‘about a fortnight’ on the trip, the statement added he would supervise administration while away.

The statement in details

PRESIDENT TINUBU TO EMBARK ON WORKING VISIT TO PARIS

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu will depart for Paris, France, today on a short working visit.

During the visit, the President will appraise his administration’s mid-term performance and assess key milestones.

He will also use the retreat to review the progress of ongoing reforms and engage in strategic planning ahead of his administration’s second anniversary.

This period of reflection will inform plans to deepen ongoing reforms and accelerate national development priorities in the coming year.

Recent economic strides reinforce the President’s commitment to these efforts, as evidenced by the Central Bank of Nigeria reporting a significant increase in net foreign exchange reserves to $23.11 billion—a testament to the administration’s fiscal reforms since 2023 when net reserves were $3.99 billion.

While away, President Tinubu will remain fully engaged with his team and continue to oversee governance activities.

He will return to Nigeria in about a fortnight.

Continue Reading

Headlines

NNPCL CEO, Mele Kyari Sacked, Bayo Ojulari Appointed

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has sacked the Group Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, NNPCL, Mele Kyari.

Tinubu also dissolved its board, removing the Chairman, Chief Pius Akinyelure.

Bayo Onanuga, Special Adviser to the President on information and strategy, announced this in a statement on Wednesday.

Onanuga said Tinubu invoked his powers under section 59(2) of the Petroleum Industry Act (PIA) 2021 to carry out the sweeping reconstitution, citing the need for “enhanced operational efficiency, restored investor confidence, and a more commercially viable NNPC”.

He announced that Tinubu has now approved a new 11-man board, which has Engineer Bashir Bayo Ojulari as the Group CEO and Ahmadu Musa Kida as non-executive chairman.

According to the statement, “Adedapo Segun, who replaced Umaru Isa Ajiya as the chief financial officer last November, has been appointed to the new board by President Tinubu.

“Six board members, non-executive directors, represent the country’s geopolitical zones. They are Bello Rabiu, North West, Yusuf Usman, North East, and Babs Omotowa, a former managing director of the Nigerian Liquified Natural Gas( NLNG), who represents North Central.

“President Tinubu appointed Austin Avuru as a non-executive director from the South-South, David Ige as a Non-executive director from the South West, and Henry Obih as a non-executive director from the South East.

“Mrs Lydia Shehu Jafiya, permanent secretary of the Federal Ministry of Finance, will represent the ministry on the new board, while Aminu Said Ahmed will represent the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.”

He added said that all the appointments are effective today, April 2.

Continue Reading

Headlines

Americans Want Me to Run for Third Term, Trump Claims

Published

on

President Donald Trump claimed on Monday that Americans want him to run for another term, a step banned by the US constitution but which he continues describing as possible.

“People are asking me to run,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office when asked about the possibility of a third term.

“I don’t know. I never looked into it. They do say there’s a way you can do it, but I don’t know about that, but I have not looked into it,” Trump said.

Trump was asked about the prospect of a race pitting him against former president Barack Obama, who served two terms.

“That would be a good one, I’d like that,” Trump said.

“I’m not joking” about the idea of seeking a third term, Trump said Sunday in an interview with NBC News.

The 78-year-old Republican served from 2017 to 2021 and began his second term in the White House on January 20.

The first US president, George Washington, established a tradition by not seeking a third term after completing his second one in 1797.

But this tradition was not formally added to the US constitution until after World War II, with the ratification of the 22nd amendment in 1951.

It says no one can be elected president more than two times.

Continue Reading